Pages:
Author

Topic: at what point is a person considered a "respectable" miner? - page 2. (Read 8484 times)

Activity: 415
Merit: 250
Money is the root of all evil.

The repectable miner is the one that can get the most hashing power for the least wattage and make it stable enough to run it without hiccups; that person deserves respect..
Activity: 378
Why is it so damn hot in here?
seriously, i have only had to turn on the heat once for this winter, and it's because the internet was down!

lmfao, same here I actually opened my window 1inch to cool the room. Stays 70F in room with outside temp in 40s or bit lower....haha

Can you send some of that 40F weather down here to Florida please, I'm tired of running my A/C in the middle of winter.
Activity: 547
Merit: 253
seriously, i have only had to turn on the heat once for this winter, and it's because the internet was down!

lmfao, same here I actually opened my window 1inch to cool the room. Stays 70F in room with outside temp in 40s or bit lower....haha
Activity: 547
Merit: 253
Id say I agree a dedicated rig with 1g/hash thats pretty respectable and decent size investment for average person. Im sitting at 460mh/s But im looking at upgrading my rig to 5870s soon and moving 5830 to new rig. Wink
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722

Same here but it happened to me twice so far Wink
Activity: 378
Why is it so damn hot in here?
Consider I'm living in a country where -20 is common in January.

-If you can heat your feets with your mining rig, you're just starting.
-If you can heat a room with your mining rig, you have a nice hobby.
-If you're starting to save on heating because you heat the house, you're serious dude.
-If you can heat a whole 4-story house, with people keeping the windows open because it's too hot, and having the oil company giving you refunds on your heating bill, I believe it is the point where you are "respectable".

Wish I had yall's problem. I have only been able to shut off my A/C for one day this Winter.

I hear that.  Florida only has two seasons, unlike the rest of the world.  Hot, and "Damn Hot".  Middle of "winter" and it's going to be 83F today.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
about $.125/kWh

not too bad.. im on a multi tiered thing.. pay different rates at different times of day.. it ends up being like 7.3 cents pr kwh...
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
about $.125/kWh
You might be a serious miner:

-If you pulled two 10/2 cables across your attic and wired that up to a 60A breaker because you are already using up ~60A on your existing farm and you want to expand.
-If you mine inside your house in South Florida with >5Ghash in the summer
-If you convince your significant other that 87F is an acceptable indoor temperature...in January.
  -And further convince her the hair dryers(4x5970) on the kitchen table are actually making enough money to be worth the heat and noise.
-If it is cheaper for you to go home early from work to find out why your farm went offline than it is to stay at work for another few hours.
-If mining is a job, not a hobby

All that is some of my personal experience. Depending on your house wiring, you start finding out about power problems at about 3-4Ghash (I think, that was awhile ago). By the time I hit 5Ghash I had extension cords coming from all areas of the house. I'm at 10 Ghash now, and while I know I have more than a lot of people, I know there's some dudes with a *lot* more than that. The longest my A/C has been off since last March was when I was pulling those 10/2 cables into my main service panel (about 2 hours).

how much is power down there?
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
You might be a serious miner:

-If you pulled two 10/2 cables across your attic and wired that up to a 60A breaker because you are already using up ~60A on your existing farm and you want to expand.
-If you mine inside your house in South Florida with >5Ghash in the summer
-If you convince your significant other that 87F is an acceptable indoor temperature...in January.
  -And further convince her the hair dryers(4x5970) on the kitchen table are actually making enough money to be worth the heat and noise.
-If it is cheaper for you to go home early from work to find out why your farm went offline than it is to stay at work for another few hours.
-If mining is a job, not a hobby

All that is some of my personal experience. Depending on your house wiring, you start finding out about power problems at about 3-4Ghash (I think, that was awhile ago). By the time I hit 5Ghash I had extension cords coming from all areas of the house. I'm at 10 Ghash now, and while I know I have more than a lot of people, I know there's some dudes with a *lot* more than that. The longest my A/C has been off since last March was when I was pulling those 10/2 cables into my main service panel (about 2 hours).
Activity: 409
Merit: 251
Crypt'n Since 2011
The reasons for choosing 277VAC are:
a) Still only one phase to worry about - not two or three per PSU. Less wiring.
b) No 480 --> 240 VAC transformer losses. (Not sure how much efficiency loss there is, but I don't think the transformer could be any higher than 96-97% efficient. Mine is a 45Kva SquareD)
c) Smaller gauge wiring due to the higher voltage.

Well "a" doesn't really matter.  If you home isn't 3 phase you aren't getting 3 phase anyways.

On "b" I think you are forgetting about the 480 -> 277 VAC transformer. Wink Still transformers tend to be very efficient.  97%+ is certainly likely, 99%+ is possible.   Energy in = Energy out.  So all the energy on the 480 VAC side becomes 240 VAC or heat.  An inefficient transformer on a mains where it could be pulling 100 amps+ would quickly melt.  Some quick numbers.  The transformer is rated at 45KVA so at 5% inefficiency and peak load ~2.5KW would be converted into heat.  Heat output on the transformer would be more than 10x 5970s. Smiley

Optimally the best thing for you would be a high efficiency 5KW 480VAC to 12VDC powersupply.  You could power an entire rack of GPUs.  Smiley  Then just run the low wattage mixed voltage components off some low wattage ATX PSU units.  Now if you found and rigged that you might be a serious miner.

b) 480V three phase is 480V leg to leg and 277V to ground. If you want to run 277V, you would need to have a 4-wire service.  The kind of tr
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
Google also had custom PSU built for their datacenter years ago but that was back when avg ATX PSU was 70% efficient.

Given what % of PCs (most of them) are sold with chinese crap PSUs (not necessarily no-name but of similar quality) with an avg. efficiency of 40-60% I think some time has to pass when an average ATX PSU is 70% efficient.

-If you're starting to save on heating because you heat the house, you're serious dude.
-If you can heat a whole 4-story house, with people keeping the windows open because it's too hot, and having the oil company giving you refunds on your heating bill, I believe it is the point where you are "respectable".

Wish I had yall's problem. I have only been able to shut off my A/C for one day this Winter.

this is how i feel being in phoenix, power isnt badly priced... but AC will be working overtime! haha

and when its 125 outside not going to get much cooling going out there haha
Activity: 497
Merit: 500

Activity: 448

hahaha.. i thought of doing that renting some space at an executive office building.. only concern i have is that they tend to turn the AC off on the weekends Sad

Actually, an office AC can only get rid of maybe 1000 W without the room getting uncomfortably hot - in the old office there were two window panes that opened (left and right) and I had all 4 mining rigs on the left and 4 on the right and had cardboard ducts with fans to blow the hot air right out for the windows. And still the room was like a sauna.

In my current office, unfortunately the window does not open at all, and I have only 3 rigs in operation, four HD 5830 each, and once again it is like a sauna and I always take my shirt off when I'm there.

So, now you know why I'm increasingly interested in FPGA mining. Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

rjk
1ngldh
On "b" I think you are forgetting about the 480 -> 277 VAC transformer. Wink Still transformers tend to be very efficient.  97%+ is certainly likely, 99%+ is possible.   Energy in = Energy out.  So all the energy on the 480 VAC side becomes 240 VAC or heat.  An inefficient transformer on a mains where it could be pulling 100 amps+ would quickly melt.  Some quick numbers.  The transformer is rated at 45KVA so at 5% inefficiency and peak load ~2.5KW would be converted into heat.  Heat output on the transformer would be more than 10x 5970s. Smiley

No, there isn't a transformer because the delta circuit is 277 phase-to-ground but is 480 phase to phase Grin I think you might have been confusing 277 with 240 Wink

True about the efficiency though - when the industrial machines in the same building are running at full blast, the transformer is uncomfortably warm on top, but not so hot you would burn yourself instantly. So yes probably better than 97%.
If yall are in south florida PM me I have a location that I let miners put their machines. I charge 1BTC for every  10BTC your miner generates. Currently I am at 7.6GHash and I have two clients (Friends, lol) that are at 1GHash each. If I get enough people to mine at the location might do a local pool.  I would like as much input about this as possible.

This may be a very good deal for miners with power-hogging graphics cards, such as the HD 6990, but not a good deal at all for FPGA miners.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
If you bought four 7970s and still can't maintain a 1.00 KDR in BF3/MW3, you might be a miner.
Activity: 497
Merit: 500
If yall are in south florida PM me I have a location that I let miners put their machines. I charge 1BTC for every  10BTC your miner generates. Currently I am at 7.6GHash and I have two clients (Friends, lol) that are at 1GHash each. If I get enough people to mine at the location might do a local pool.  I would like as much input about this as possible.
Pages:
Jump to: