Pages:
Author

Topic: Atheist must swear to God -- or leave US Air Force - page 2. (Read 2179 times)

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
That being said, as an atheist, I'd have no problem swearing to god, since it's just another meaningless word.

That's what they frequently cite as a reason for why atheists should swear the oath to their god, because it wouldn't matter to the atheist so why do they keep complaining about it? After all, you know, that kind of justification never leads anywhere dangerous(!)

We're so busy looking to the Islamic countries as examples of the dangers of fundamentalist theism, The West seems to have missed the fact that much of the US is as deeply entrenched in their own version of 'the acceptable insanity'.

You don't 'fix' someone else's rabid dysfunction by telling them that your version of the same dysfunction is right and theirs is wrong.

You don't tell people what to think, that's indoctrination, instead, you teach people how to think for themselves outside of the incessant fallacious argument they are conditioned to accept without (critical) thought. You teach them criticial thinking skills and objective reasoning in order for them to be able to make sense of the world around them. As I tell my children, the only way we will ever find peace as a species is to grow beyond our infantile superstitions and religions, and the only way to achieve that for people who are conditioned to maintain the intellectual dishonesty that theism requires, is to educate the crap out of them.

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Yep, it is strange that this has been allowed to make headlines and not been settled
Guess the army's hand is being forced by conservative interests
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Seems crazy that in this day and age it would still be required to swear to God and not have an alternative option.

That being said, as an atheist, I'd have no problem swearing to god, since it's just another meaningless word. I could swear to god, superman, the flying spaghetti monster, or any other fictional construct my employer might ask me to.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

"We have not received word from the Air Force regarding our letter. It has not indicated a willingness to settle out of court," said Monica Miller, an attorney for the American Humanist Association, which has taken up the service member's case.

With the deadline for re-enlisting expiring in November, the technical sergeant at Creech Air Force base in Nevada -- whose name has not been released -- will be forced to sue the government in a federal court, Miller told AFP.]Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

"We have not received word from the Air Force regarding our letter. It has not indicated a willingness to settle out of court," said Monica Miller, an attorney for the American Humanist Association, which has taken up the service member's case.

With the deadline for re-enlisting expiring in November, the technical sergeant at Creech Air Force base in Nevada -- whose name has not been released -- will be forced to sue the government in a federal court, Miller told AFP

More...http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-must-swear-god-leave-us-air-force-232153866.html;_ylt=AwrTWf2zlg9UkzAA5rLQtDMD
Pages:
Jump to: