Pages:
Author

Topic: Atomic Wallet hacker sends crypto to mixer used by Lazarus Group: Elliptic - page 2. (Read 368 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 429
The question is, will the atomic wallet users get their money back because just a portion of that fund is traced to a mixer what about those that have been filtered into various other coins and currencies, I guest there is no form of insurance to cover this and is going to take a long time and process trying to get the mixed bitcoin back even if the mixers the hackers used is cracked down which is not something that can easily come by.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1075
Seems to me that it's going to be a bad day for Sinbad.io and the people that's promoting them with campaign signatures.
Bad as in how?
he is probably thinking that Sinbad.io will suffer the same fate as Chipmixer, which will affect the signature campaign participants when the campaign closes(just like what happened to Chipmixer's campaign) because Sinbad.io is seized by the authorities.

anyway, I am curious, I haven't really read up on the atomic wallet hack, but how was it really hacked? I mean, did the hackers find a vulnerability in their system(or something) that gave them access to a bunch of atomic wallets or what?
copper member
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1783
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
Elliptic is a blockchain compliance analytics firm that investigate about the $35 million that was known to have been stolen from Atomic wallet user. The money or probably some of the money was first convert to bitcoin and sent to Sinbad for mixing.

Good luck to the Atomic wallet team trying to recover the funds once they go through a mixer. Maybe they should look at the point of conversion of alts to Bitcoin that is, if they used any centralized exchange, but I doubt if those hackers were that dumb.

Seems to me that it's going to be a bad day for Sinbad.io and the people that's promoting them with campaign signatures.
Bad as in how?

I'm having mixed feelings with mixers now, I think that it's a freedom to be able to use it but then group's like the Lazarus group using it makes me want to change sides.
Then you should have mixed feelings about the dollar, the banks and all those Government back financial institutions because they have been used to launder money for decades by bad actors and in some cases the Governments just look the other side because it's "big" people within them that are involved

How are both situations any different?
Activity: 406
Merit: 443

On June 5, blockchain compliance analytics firm Elliptic reported that its Investigations Team has traced funds from the $35 million Atomic Wallet hack to crypto mixer Sinbad.io.

It claims the mixing service was previously used to launder more than $100 million in crypto assets stolen by North Korea’s Lazarus Group.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how did they manage to determine that this money went to the blender? I remember when I read about the reason for the confiscation of Khaled, they had told that money went to that mixer, but how could they determine the mixer to which those money went?

There is a lawsuit against Blender due to which that mixer stopped and Sanctioned Mixer Blender Re-Launched as Sinbad so we will see that soon.
If they are from North Korea, the United States will not be able to sized the domain, and therefore whenever suspicions revolve around them, all they will do is move to a new domain name.

Wallets of Blender.io on the Bitcoin and Ethereum blockchains were put on a U.S. sanctions list in May 2022 after it turned out North Korean hacker group Lazarus used the service to launder cybercrime proceeds. The U.S. Treasury Department said Lazarus was behind the infamous Ronin hack, when $625 million worth of crypto was stolen from a blockchain bridge protocol used by the popular non-fungible token NFT game Axie Infinity.
I've read their report here and can't find solid evidence on how to know the coins were sent to that mixer.

https://hub.elliptic.co/analysis/has-a-sanctioned-bitcoin-mixer-been-resurrected-to-aid-north-korea-s-lazarus-group/

But I found this
Blender may have been motivated to re-brand in order to avoid sanctions, and OFAC could now seek to impose further sanctions on Sinbad. It may also have done so in order to gain trust from users, following Blender’s abrupt closure last year, and the disappearance of significant amounts of funds from the mixer.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 219
Seems to me that it's going to be a bad day for Sinbad.io and the people that's promoting them with campaign signatures. But I guess, if it hits a rogue nation's hacker group that provides funds for the rogue state, the sacrifice is hopefully worth it. I'm having mixed feelings with mixers now, I think that it's a freedom to be able to use it but then group's like the Lazarus group using it makes me want to change sides.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
Jollygood talked about the Lazarus Group  on a thread: After Chipmixer, Is Sinbad.io Next To Be Shutdown?

The mixer is Sinbad. We all know the mixer call Sinbad.

Elliptic is a blockchain compliance analytics firm that investigate about the $35 million that was known to have been stolen from Atomic wallet user. The money or probably some of the money was first convert to bitcoin and sent to Sinbad for mixing.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/atomic-wallet-hacker-sends-crypto-mixer-elliptic

On June 5, blockchain compliance analytics firm Elliptic reported that its Investigations Team has traced funds from the $35 million Atomic Wallet hack to crypto mixer Sinbad.io.

It claims the mixing service was previously used to launder more than $100 million in crypto assets stolen by North Korea’s Lazarus Group.
Pages:
Jump to: