Pages:
Author

Topic: [ATTN] Clarification of Mt Gox Compromised Accounts and Major Bitcoin Sell-Off - page 2. (Read 18489 times)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0
Gandlaf: No that isn't my statement. You seem to really want to add to what you read. My statement is this:
MtGox has enough funds to cover any losses from the recently stolen coins and has enough to cover what it owes me to date.
MtGox will cover any debt to its customers before it pays me.
The fact that I haven't been paid yet has nothing to do with mtgox's ability to pay. It only has to do with the fact that neither I nor Mark have made time to complete the payment.

In that case, I do want to apologize for ever having even harboured the slightest doubts! You Jed, are quite obviously a saint(or as close as one gets nowadays without divine intervention). Giving up a multimillion dollar business, signing a contract, not insistiting on payment, it sounds like a fairytale. You must be a truely wonderful and completely selfless individual to just wait for payment for your idea if/when it  comes.

The only question for me would be the following: Why keep an admin account to audit payments, if everything is dandy, if your first concern is the bitcoin community and you really don´t want to see a penny before everyone has been paid?

Furthermore, I don´t really get your final point:
"The fact that I haven't been paid yet has nothing to do with mtgox's ability to pay. It only has to do with the fact that neither I nor Mark have made time to complete the payment."

A BTC transfer should be fairly easy(if you don´t know how to do it just ask in the forum), or is it that you aren´t really willing to invest in BTC? In that case I do get it, the MtGox $1000 limit can be a bit of a nuisance.
Apart from the technicalities, let me get this right: You did not make time for/to complete a payment with 6 or 7 figures(by early June)Huh

I love fairytales, but this response is BS.

You would be a truly unique individual to just let a multimillion $ business go.

So why not cut the crap and just disclose in how far you are still involved with MtGox?
jed
Activity: 182
Merit: 107
Jed McCaleb
Gandlaf: No that isn't my statement. You seem to really want to misconstrue what you read. My statement is this:
MtGox has enough funds to cover any losses from the recently stolen coins and has enough to cover what it owes me to date.
MtGox will cover any debt to its customers before it pays me.
The fact that I haven't been paid yet has nothing to do with mtgox's ability to pay. It only has to do with the fact that neither I nor Mark have made time to complete the payment.
Gandlaf: yes required to pay but not yet paid.

So your statement is, that MtGox currently does not even have the spare cash to pay the price/license fee currently, which you asked for as a fair price(when handing over MtGox) at a time when commissions were running a lot lower compared to todays rates and volumes?

Essentially what you are saying is that MtGox´s  current liquidity is (not) in question, but that MtGox is in debt to you, it´s original founder.
If I get you right, Mark does not even have the cash to pay you for selling him the idea and the original platform?
Apparently cash is so tight, that you have not received any money to date?

Gandlaf: [...]
I haven't gotten any money from mtgox since the sale so there is no danger of not being able to cover this loss.

Can you conceive of any reason why customers of MtGox might find this slightly worrying?
jed
Jed McCaleb
Gandlaf: yes required to pay but not yet paid.
Gandlaf: I didn't say I was bored with mtgox. I said I didn't have enough time to do it correctly. Kind of the opposite of bored.
I've never faced legal action because of anything having to do with mtgox. Baron was clearly lying since we have never heard from his lawyers.
I haven't gotten any money from mtgox since the sale so there is no danger of not being able to cover this loss.

So which part exactly did I get wrong? Because Mark seems to state quite clearly, that you a) were the auditor in question(with admin powers) and b) actually did receive money ? Is Mark (MagicalTux) lying in his statement?

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20110630.html
CLARIFICATION OF MT. GOX COMPROMISED ACCOUNTS AND MAJOR BITCOIN SELL-OFF
Dear members of the press and Bitcoin community,

I. Background

March, 2011 – MtGox.com (Mt. Gox), now the world’s leading Bitcoin exchange, was purchased by Tibanne Co. Ltd. As part of the purchase agreement, for a period of time, Tibanne Co. Ltd was required to pay the previous owner a percentage of commissions.In order to audit and verify this percentage, the previous owner retained an admin level user account. This account was compromised. So far we have not been able to determine how this account’s credentials were obtained.

Mark Karpeles - CEO
Tibanne Co. Ltd.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
Gandlaf: I didn't say I was bored with mtgox. I said I didn't have enough time to do it correctly.

this is consistent with what Jed has told me in the past.

Kind of the opposite of bored.
I've never faced legal action because of anything having to do with mtgox. Baron was clearly lying since we have never heard from his lawyers.

well, i guess that puts that one to rest.
jed
Jed McCaleb
Gandlaf: I didn't say I was bored with mtgox. I said I didn't have enough time to do it correctly. Kind of the opposite of bored.

Activity: 28

Also you would not be the first one to think your password was relatively secure when in fact it turned out to be complete crap (this guy claimed his password was secure, and even lied about its length, when it was in fact "rascal101").

To be fair, the account I pointed out was "XPiRX0".  He might have used that as a second account for small trades, and had a main account "XPiRX" that was never cracked.

There's no grounds for calling him a liar.

CLARIFICATION OF MT. GOX COMPROMISED ACCOUNTS AND MAJOR BITCOIN SELL-OFF

Dear members of the press and Bitcoin community,

I. Background

March, 2011 – MtGox.com (Mt. Gox), now the world’s leading Bitcoin exchange, was purchased by Tibanne Co. Ltd. As part of the purchase agreement, for a period of time, Tibanne Co. Ltd was required to pay the previous owner a percentage of commissions. In order to audit and verify this percentage, the previous owner retained an admin level user account. This account was compromised. So far we have not been able to determine how this account’s credentials were obtained.

Mark Karpeles - CEO
Tibanne Co. Ltd.

I'm sure Mark is very busy with mtgox so has been neglecting Kalyhost.

Mistakes were obviously made but I don't think Mark is being greedy or incompetent here. He needs to hire more people and he knows this. But which if you have ever tried to do you know takes time which he doesn't have much of these days.

Jed,
obviously mistakes were made but given that these haven´t exactly been the first ones in MtGox´s history, it would be very interesting to know what percentage of commission you are taking and for what period of time, furthermore what your additional(finanicial) interests in MtGox still are. You´re message when handing it over(paraphrasing): I´m bored and I just dont want to invest that much time ( http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=4187.0 ), was less than honest, especially given the fact that you were facing legal action in connection with prior inconsistencies( http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3712.0 ).

Are you willing to verifiably disclose what your current interests in MtGox still are(does Mark actually have the funds to compensate for losses?; are you skimming off all the profits?) or are you going to keep this cloud of uncertainty hanging over MtGox customers and therefore the wider Bitcoin community?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Now how about fixing my account?
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
cypherdoc: Correct. But cracking the hashes is still valuable due their re-use on other sites (Paypal, MyBitcoin, etc).
legendary
someone elsewhere said that if they got into mtgox system and already had everyones hashed passwords they wouldn't need the exact password b/c the system just looks to match the hashes.  is this correct?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
I can tell this:
Dictionary attack would have been useless against my hash and attackers would not have had enough time for pure brute force attack even if they obtained unsalted md5. This leads me to think that this db dump is just a tip of the iceberg and that "clarification" is full of shit
mrb
legendary
A few passwords of length 22 or more have been discovered (none of them are yours):

Code:
$1$vl6fKApv$FM4X4hc4oJMB7D6UsEzxN1:digitalcurrencypassword
$1$zu4V3y9t$1/iE1miMzvTuj.Js17Buo0:weloveyouinglacialways72
$1$u13cgODk$1aaFBvCFoQSl5YuwvnCbk.:Thereisnogodsofuckoff!
$1$yNsa0VJP$IftjIMbVfGWz9uIFngvKu/:60x8760b6k328vc3v24kw8y1
$1$m7j/0t7K$cxWkLa48wI2LNhqRwA45A/:8ajdegejjep10umIg30purIt
$1$hp7CVOt/$ZpKbXzOnSZezpJGgBNcie/:szyzgy1w1d1w1vfescgrdv
$1$UsVn0FLE$QnEkv9NOZnFTjUsZ.RC1B/:31knuj_m43rdbr41nd34th
$1$nUFHEtPC$q/9Vpxg7gP/I161NPW6Xq0:saab9000aeroskodafabiavrs

The first 3 passwords are concatenations of simple words with simple mangling rules (digits/symbols appended, and a capitalization) which could have been bruteforced somewhat easily. If your password was similar, then it was weak.

However, if your password was similar to the others more complex ones, then one of these 3 possible explanations is true: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=24727.msg317542#msg317542
As one of the few users with ~1k posts on this forum, therefore a likely valuable Bicoin-rich target, I think you should envisage the possibility that you have been the victim of a targeted attack (not necessarily via an MtGox flaw). You wouldn't be the first one --you remember allinvain and his 25k BTC stolen... Even Snort + fw + browsing in a VM would not have protected you against, say, a tabnabbing phishing attempt. (I mention this example again because of how deceptively efficient it is...)

On the other hand, I have no idea how security-proficient you really are. You know Snort and firewalls, but the fact you exaggerate (few sites/apps accept "random >60characters password") makes it difficult for me to evaluate you. You say your MtGox pw was shorter than usual; would you mind sharing its exact length?

I am aware of most type of attacks and know how to protect myself. I keep up to date with current exploits and am Backtrack user familiar and proficient with most tools in that distro.
mrb
legendary
As one of the few users with ~1k posts on this forum, therefore a likely valuable Bicoin-rich target, I think you should envisage the possibility that you have been the victim of a targeted attack (not necessarily via an MtGox flaw). You wouldn't be the first one --you remember allinvain and his 25k BTC stolen... Even Snort + fw + browsing in a VM would not have protected you against, say, a tabnabbing phishing attempt. (I mention this example again because of how deceptively efficient it is...)

On the other hand, I have no idea how security-proficient you really are. You know Snort and firewalls, but the fact you exaggerate (few sites/apps accept "random >60characters password") makes it difficult for me to evaluate you. You say your MtGox pw was shorter than usual; would you mind sharing its exact length?
Attackers don't need to tie identities. Previously broken passwords are added to dictionary lists and are blindly tried against all newly leaked accounts.
Previously broken passwords - yes, but I'm not talking about reusing passwords. I'm talking about patterns that help to derive passwords and remember them. And while some analyze these and add to their attacks, this is the case only in highly targeted attacks. Which this wasn't!
Adding such patterns to general password cracking is just a waste of time and resources.

This contradicts your first post which says "my password was not the most secure". So which is it?
No it doesn't. I said it wasn't the most secure because it was not a random >60characters password I normally use which would take thousands of years to crack. This was the kind of password which could be broken in several decades.

Don't be so negative with me. I am just trying to help you understand how your account was hacked. Multiple possibilities:
1) The majority of MtGox users who were hacked were knowingly using insecure passwords. Not your case.
2) A smaller but still considerable fraction of users had a misconception of what a secure password is. May be your case.
3) Finally, a minority were using perfectly secure passwords (see examples in my last post). These users either shared passwords with other sites that have been hacked, or were phished (eg. even experienced IT security professionals may fall for tabnabbing!), or were the victim of targeted attacks on their personal computers (eg. malware installing a keylogger). May be your case.

1) No
2) I know it was secure. Even if attacker got my hash the day I registered they would not had the time to crack it.
3) My home network is monitored by snort 24/7, firewalls on my router and computers are properly configured to allow just the traffic I require. There are no unnecessary services running -  I even disabled dhcp. Most of the browsing is done in VMs which are then shutdown and destroyed. So please keep your security 101 to yourself.

I am not negative - I'm just realist. If you read my previous posts, you'll find that I was advocating Mt.gox and dismissing people complaining on this board about stolen funds from Mt.gox. At the time I had blind faith in Mark, but I was wrong.

Go listen to the interview after the hack, read his statements - he was blatantly lying. And I believe he is still lying. While a move to this inferior and buggy platform and testing on production server maybe considered normal by such incompetent individual I think it indicates that Mt.gox is desperate and still has no fucking clue how attacker got in. Hiding this is irresponsible and will lead to disaster.
Time will show
mrb
legendary
That statement does not indicate shit.
I don't have any account with your mentioned sites or sites that have been hacked. I am extremely paranoid and use one time identities and one time passwords for different sites/forums/communities. Even if some site was hacked that we don't know about, attackers would never be able to tie them to this one. Go ahead and try to find info about mewantsbitcoins or any other identifies tied to it.

Attackers don't need to tie identities. Previously broken passwords are added to dictionary lists and are blindly tried against all newly leaked accounts.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue about security practices. I don't think my password was secure - I know it was.

This contradicts your first post which says "my password was not the most secure". So which is it?

Don't be so negative with me. I am just trying to help you understand how your account was hacked. Multiple possibilities:
1) The majority of MtGox users who were hacked were knowingly using insecure passwords. Not your case.
2) A smaller but still considerable fraction of users had a misconception of what a secure password is. May be your case.
3) Finally, a minority were using perfectly secure passwords (see examples in my last post). These users either shared passwords with other sites that have been hacked, or were phished (eg. even experienced IT security professionals may fall for tabnabbing!), or were the victim of targeted attacks on their personal computers (eg. malware installing a keylogger). May be your case.
legendary
I'm glad they posted this. I trust them a lot more after seeing this. The only thing missing is the exact number of coins stolen and the address they were sent to. I can't imagine why they didn't make that public.
Ah. One major thing that's bugging me is this - if the person doing this had so much access, why couldn't they change their limits and withdraw a large chunk of their freshly-created bitcoin balance?

precisely what i've been thinking.  i truly think a major financial institution or gov't related entity hacked the system with its sole purpose to drive down the price of btc.

stealing the btc outright which would have been the logical and easiest first move for an individual.  why go to the trouble of creating a selloff lasting 30 min?  stealing the btc for an institution or gov't would have been an international crime whereas a creating a selloff could just be considered "national security".  stealing the DB would also be information gathering.

If you believe the individual was still subject to the withdrawl limits, the selloff makes sense and enabled him/her/them to escape with 2000BTC.  It is conceivable that the limits were 'hard coded'.  Why would a financial institution or gov't related entity want to drive down the price?  AFAIK there are not many short sales in play at the moment.  

The statement from MtGox is helpful, however it doesn't address some of the anomalies identified in the transaction ledger.  Why the sudden motion of 500k BTC immediately after the selloff?  Why the sudden play of the very old accounts with 50BTC each?  

from the above comments, it seems this hacker was extremely talented or had access to significant processing power.  to me changing the withdrawal limit and then stealing the btc would have been easiest and most logical first step.

the limits are not hard coded.  my own limits have been changed by Mark.  Kevin Day also described a bug in the daily limit which allowed sequential withdrawals of $1000 from the same acct.

if i have to explain why a financial inst or gov't would want to drive down the price of btc to you heaven help you.  

this was the financial market equivalent of naked short selling btc into oblivion.  this is why  i have argued against implementing short selling at this stage by mtgox.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
I'm glad they posted this. I trust them a lot more after seeing this. The only thing missing is the exact number of coins stolen and the address they were sent to. I can't imagine why they didn't make that public.
Ah. One major thing that's bugging me is this - if the person doing this had so much access, why couldn't they change their limits and withdraw a large chunk of their freshly-created bitcoin balance?

precisely what i've been thinking.  i truly think a major financial institution or gov't related entity hacked the system with its sole purpose to drive down the price of btc.

stealing the btc outright which would have been the logical and easiest first move for an individual.  why go to the trouble of creating a selloff lasting 30 min?  stealing the btc for an institution or gov't would have been an international crime whereas a creating a selloff could just be considered "national security".  stealing the DB would also be information gathering.

If you believe the individual was still subject to the withdrawl limits, the selloff makes sense and enabled him/her/them to escape with 2000BTC.  It is conceivable that the limits were 'hard coded'.  Why would a financial institution or gov't related entity want to drive down the price?  AFAIK there are not many short sales in play at the moment.   

The statement from MtGox is helpful, however it doesn't address some of the anomalies identified in the transaction ledger.  Why the sudden motion of 500k BTC immediately after the selloff?  Why the sudden play of the very old accounts with 50BTC each? 

Pages:
Jump to: