Pages:
Author

Topic: Auction for a 5g pure gold bar until block 90,000 - page 2. (Read 6206 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076
If, for some reason, I can't be online at the 90,000th block,  if I'm not on IRC either and if this thread is still open, then you will be able to post some bids until I wake up or get connected.  It should not be long.  I will then immediately lock the thread and the highest bid will be the winner, even if it was actually posted after 90,000.

Is that Ok with everyone ?
legendary

I'm considering organizing an IRC meeting just before we reach 90,000.

Indeed if many people try to put a bid here just before the end, it could be messy and unfair, since some orders will be delayed.  And a forum is not designed to do real time conversations, anyway.

So what I am planning to do is to lock this thread at about block 89,900, and then open an IRC channel on #freenode.

My IRC login name is password protected, so it should be alright.
legendary
1,100 BTC Smiley

I don't feel comfortable accepting a bid if there is a smiley aside to it.

Please confirm.

Edit.  Ahh it's ok.  I don't know why I wrote that.  Your bid is accepted.

Loki leads at 1,100 BTC
Activity: 11
Merit: 0

Current highest bid is 1,000 bc.

Anyone for 1,100 ?

1,100 BTC Smiley
legendary
Gold is about to turn down for at least 10% if not 30% in nominal dollars, so one can wait to buy gold...

Then there's also some credible sources saying 2-3 year target above $3000. So... the fact would be, no one really knows, unless they are manipulating the market themselves, and then that wouldn't even be a guarantee.

I don't know what will be the price of gold in a few years, but I'm pretty sure I would not feel confident if I had a lot of dollars in cash right now.  Those people are flowding the banking industry with trillions of worthless dollar.  Not only this will eventually lead to massive inflation, but above all, it's unfair enough for me not to want to participate to this by hoarding dollars.
legendary
Gold is about to turn down for at least 10% if not 30% in nominal dollars, so one can wait to buy gold...

Yeah, sure.  I have been hearing this one for quite some time, now.

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
legendary

Current highest bid is 1,000 bc.

Anyone for 1,100 ?
legendary
jorgen leads with 1,000 BTC.

Please let me remind you not to bid if don't really intend to buy the bar.  The bitcoin paiement will be required first before the actual sending of the bar.  Therefore there is no point anyway in putting fake bids.  You will just destroy your reputation.
vip
Activity: 113
Merit: 12
1000 BTC
Activity: 681
Merit: 500
800 BTC
legendary
2000 blocks away will be approximately 2 weeks.

In 2 weeks, bitcoin will be worth?

Another good question, is in two weeks, gold will be worth?

It's only up to you to find the answers of these questions.

Edit.

ribuck leads at 600 BTC
legendary
Finishing the auction at a random time defined by a block number is a clever way of stopping people from all submitting their bids at the last second.

Indeed !  (I confess I hadn't even thought of it in this way Wink )

I actually came up with this idea of using block numbers because I had heard about an old tradition of auction using burning candles.  This kind of auction is still in practice in some european countries.  I guess you pointed out the exact reason.  There is a element of randomness involved.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1039
Maybe I will have to wake up at 4am.
Maybe you don't have to wake up if you trust the forum timestamps.

Finishing the auction at a random time defined by a block number is a clever way of stopping people from all submitting their bids at the last second.
legendary
I meant if you were only taking the bids during the 10 blocks that precede the 90k. It might end up at unusable hours for some, like 9am Smiley

Well, that's part of the fun of it Wink

Maybe I will have to wake up at 4am.  I don't know.  I don't even know if it's possible to know.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Of course timezone differences may become a problem for some so a 12 hour period is probably a good idea...

Why is timezone timezone difference a problem ?  The length of the block chain is geographically invariant.

I actually chose 90,000 only because it was the closest round number I could see.

I meant if you were only taking the bids during the 10 blocks that precede the 90k. It might end up at unusable hours for some, like 9am Smiley
legendary
FreeMoney leads at 500 BTC.
legendary
Of course timezone differences may become a problem for some so a 12 hour period is probably a good idea...

Why is timezone timezone difference a problem ?  The length of the block chain is geographically invariant.

I actually chose 90,000 only because it was the closest round number I could see.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Wouldn't it be smarter for us all to hold our bids until near 90,000 for when the value of bitcoins rises dramatically? Cheesy

I never understood the online auction thing, especially when people bid early and often... I thing advertising way in advance is a great thing, very much needed, but shouldn't the auction be more of "between blocks 89990 and 90000 (about one hour)"?

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
Wouldn't it be smarter for us all to hold our bids until near 90,000 for when the value of bitcoins rises dramatically? Cheesy

I am holding my real bid ;-)
Pages:
Jump to: