Pages:
Author

Topic: Austria wants to ban online anonymity - globally - page 2. (Read 310 times)

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
"Hate Speech" is becoming the new "Terrorism".  Anything that stood in the way of the United States was labeled as terrorism.  "Terrorism" allowed in the Patriot Act to spy on Americans.  "Terrorism" gave reason for USA to invade other countries for resources.

Now calling anything they don't agree with Hate Speech will allow them to push their agendas once again.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386
I may not support the ban of online anonymity when it comes to financial transactions such as  blockchain and cryptocurrencies, but on the issue of trying to stop hate speech on the social media ....

In the USA for several years, we have seen over and over, banning of conservative writers and thinkers by Facebook and Twitter based on something they said being "hate speech."

I no longer take this type of thing seriously and consider it nothing more than one sided political repression.

Maybe it is one of those kind of things that sounds nice in the abstract, but when implemented becomes evil very quickly.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 960
100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!
It's not fair to say that Austria as a whole wants to ban anomity because some far right or left group introduced a bill that will never get passed.

Bills get brought up all the time in America that are a joke in order to prove a point,
Activity: 742
Merit: 395
I am alive but in hibernation.
So look like facebook/twitter is going to lose a lot of userbase in Austria. Might be all the user shift to some other platform that would not come in jurisdiction of EU and Austria.

So what Austria will be going to do next?
Selectively banning the websites in Austria. Look like they are moving towards the internet censorship and this is their first step.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
I may not support the ban of online anonymity when it comes to financial transactions such as  blockchain and cryptocurrencies, but on the issue of trying to stop hate speech on the social media I believe that is a food move in the right direction of you consider the havoc hate speech have cause in our society recently and social media is the vehicle use to convey this hate speech all around the world.

That's not how it works. Either you have it or you don't, you don't get to pick and choose. Also if you think finances are more important than freedom of speech then you are quite naive.
Activity: 980
Merit: 114
I may not support the ban of online anonymity when it comes to financial transactions such as  blockchain and cryptocurrencies, but on the issue of trying to stop hate speech on the social media I believe that is a food move in the right direction of you consider the havoc hate speech have cause in our society recently and social media is the vehicle use to convey this hate speech all around the world.
Activity: 223
Merit: 14
More use of the Hegelian Dialectic to strip us of our freedoms piece by piece. Never submit.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-13/austria-wants-ban-online-anonymity-and-urges-world-follow-its-footsteps

It really feels surreal that it is 2019 and places in Europe are still trying to silence people's speech.

It is one thing to filter certain words from being used. It is another thing to ban people for using words that are allowed.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
More use of the Hegelian Dialectic to strip us of our freedoms piece by piece. Never submit.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-13/austria-wants-ban-online-anonymity-and-urges-world-follow-its-footsteps
Pages:
Jump to: