Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon Quality vs Antminer Quality - page 2. (Read 456 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 13
December 31, 2017, 06:39:23 PM
I've read great things about the Avalon's reliability and not so great things about Antminer's, but it will vary depending on who you ask. Some people have batch 1 (Q3 16' I believe) S9s still running fine, and others get machines DOA.

In terms of downtime, it's a problem for everyone, not just the "average person". For example, if 5% of your machines arrive broken and you ordered 20 machines then odds are 1 will be DOA, if a farm orders 200 then odds are 10 would be DOA. I guess the bigger problem for the little guy would be if they ordered 2 machines and 1 was broken, versus if a farm ordered 200 and 10 were broken. Little guy's batch is down 50% on mining power versus the farm's which is only down 5%.

Other than reliability the thing I like more about Canaan than Bitmain is that when it comes time to order a large number of machines I can place a bulk order with the manufacturer, versus having to fight with smaller miners to get a piece of the batch. Currently, if you are ordering less than 60 machines you have to go through an authorized reseller. Also I like that Canaan accepts wire transfers and not only BCH like Bitmain does which is bullshit.

My .02  Wink

I do like that Canaan accepts wire transfers. I think Blokforge will even take a credit card order. That makes it a lot easier when you don’t have much crypto. I only ask because I can’t just throw 20 grand at buying miners. I only started this a month ago and have to earn the money to pay for the miners. I only have one miner so far and it’s an S7. If I can gather the funds to get another one. I just want to make sure I choose wisely. If that’s possible.
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
December 31, 2017, 02:12:16 PM
I've read great things about the Avalon's reliability and not so great things about Antminer's, but it will vary depending on who you ask. Some people have batch 1 (Q3 16' I believe) S9s still running fine, and others get machines DOA.

In terms of downtime, it's a problem for everyone, not just the "average person". For example, if 5% of your machines arrive broken and you ordered 20 machines then odds are 1 will be DOA, if a farm orders 200 then odds are 10 would be DOA. I guess the bigger problem for the little guy would be if they ordered 2 machines and 1 was broken, versus if a farm ordered 200 and 10 were broken. Little guy's batch is down 50% on mining power versus the farm's which is only down 5%.

Other than reliability the thing I like more about Canaan than Bitmain is that when it comes time to order a large number of machines I can place a bulk order with the manufacturer, versus having to fight with smaller miners to get a piece of the batch. Currently, if you are ordering less than 60 machines you have to go through an authorized reseller. Also I like that Canaan accepts wire transfers and not only BCH like Bitmain does which is bullshit.

My .02  Wink
Activity: 266
Merit: 13
December 31, 2017, 01:43:23 AM
I have read here that the quality of Antminer isnt always the greatest. At the prices these things are selling for now. Down time is not something the average person can really afford to have. Is it safe to say that the Avalon miners have better quality and less breakdowns than the Antminers?
Pages:
Jump to: