Pages:
Author

Topic: Avast detects a virus in blocks folder when downloading the blockchain - page 2. (Read 3411 times)

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
running avast free here. no probs, i just exclude the blockchain, wallet and miner folders.

should probably add those folders to your AV exclusion list no matter what AV you use.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 656
I'll recommend Avira. I used to use AVG free for a while, but my computer got a virus (SearchProtect, IIRC), which was even obious to me, but didn't seem to want to be detected by AVG. I then uninstalled it and sent through a phase looking for a good AV. I went from AVG, avast, Norton malwarebytes and bitdefender, and finally Avira, which was the only one that detected it.

Thx for the suggestion. I remember trying Avira for a limited period of time a while ago, I remember it needing more resources than Avast, but maybe it's not the case anymore. I also had Norton and AVG and these also needed more resources. If you say Avira can detect viruses that Avast won't, maybe it's worth the additional resources. Have you switched to Avira recently or was it a while ago?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030
give me your cryptos
You better change to another antivirus like eset nod32 its more accurate than avast, because avast sometimes very strict and could not identify actual virus database even if you updated it from the virus database. I can really prove it exactly because i had an experience with avast for 3 years of pc servicing, i fail from it due to viruses was stack at drive without even detected by avast and detected some false viruses which is a part of the installed games which cannot harm my computer. I think that the problem stated in the detected virus while downloading the blockchain was false detected by avast.

Thx for the suggestion. Didn't know about this software, always used Avast, it's free, doesn't use a lot af resources and does the job (I think). I'll look into nod32.

I'll recommend Avira. I used to use AVG free for a while, but my computer got a virus (SearchProtect, IIRC), which was even obious to me, but didn't seem to want to be detected by AVG. I then uninstalled it and sent through a phase looking for a good AV. I went from AVG, avast, Norton malwarebytes and bitdefender, and finally Avira, which was the only one that detected it.
You better change to another antivirus like eset nod32 its more accurate than avast, because avast sometimes very strict and could not identify actual virus database even if you updated it from the virus database. I can really prove it exactly because i had an experience with avast for 3 years of pc servicing, i fail from it due to viruses was stack at drive without even detected by avast and detected some false viruses which is a part of the installed games which cannot harm my computer. I think that the problem stated in the detected virus while downloading the blockchain was false detected by avast.

Thx for the suggestion. Didn't know about this software, always used Avast, it's free, doesn't use a lot af resources and does the job (I think). I'll look into nod32.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Cryptocurrency Wallet - Denaro.io
Write them a mail, at the very least they should ask and not just delete the files.

I just checked, Avast is configured to repair, if it fails, it tries to move the infected file to quarantine, if it fails, it deletes it. I don't remember if this is the default setting or if it was mine Smiley. Anyway, I changed it to ask Wink, I think it's better than to exclude files/dirs, you never know. Thx.

Write them a mail, at the very least they should ask and not just delete the files.

I just checked, Avast is configured to repair, if it fails, it tries to move the infected file to quarantine, if it fails, it deletes it. I don't remember if this is the default setting or if it was mine Smiley. Anyway, I changed it to ask Wink, I think it's better than to exclude files/dirs, you never know. Thx.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
Hi,

Having read what is written here and on other similar threads, I assume that the issue I am facing is also a false positive. I am posting it in case there is a chance it can be something else ...

So, when dowloading the blockchain for Bitcoin core 0.13.1, on Windows 10 64 bits, Avast alerts me that a virus has been found and that it will be deleting it. Here is what it logs/deletes:

Code:
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Frodo (4k, 200 years) (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Leprosy (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Syslock (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Murphy (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] AntiCad-4096 (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] BV:Akuma-A (0)

I'll be configuring Avast to ignore the blocks directory in order to move on. If anyone have an(other) advice, please don't be shy Smiley.

Thank you.

Hi,

Having read what is written on other similar threads, I assume that the issue I am facing is a false positive. I am posting it in case there is a chance it can be something else ...

So, when dowloading the blockchain for Bitcoin core 0.13.1, on Windows 10 64 bits, Avast alerts me that a virus has been found and that it will be deleting it. Here is what it logs/deletes:

Code:
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Frodo (4k, 200 years) (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Leprosy (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Syslock (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] Murphy (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] AntiCad-4096 (0)
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks\blk00129.dat [L] BV:Akuma-A (0)

I'll be configuring Avast to ignore the blocks directory in order to move on. If anyone have an(other) advice, please don't be shy Smiley.

Thank you.
Pages:
Jump to: