Pages:
Author

Topic: Back to basics: How many people have bitcoins? - page 2. (Read 8279 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!
I have over 20 addresses with BTC in them, counting my 'change' addresses. I.e, this thread is the exact opposite of 'rational speculation' Smiley

Okay, so let's spitball this. I have used somewhere around 20 addresses since March. In the name of irrational guesstimation, let's say each current user has used 20 addresses. So using RationalSpeculator's 60k figure, that gives us 3000 users. Seems low. Any other ideas out there?

That chart is per day. Not cumulative. The total number of addresses is in the millions- but I don't see an aggregate number. Looks vaguely like 40m, so that would be 2 million users. Seems a bit high, but realistic.

Thanks for correcting. Where did you find the 40 million?
I have over 20 addresses with BTC in them, counting my 'change' addresses. I.e, this thread is the exact opposite of 'rational speculation' Smiley

Passive-aggressive behavior
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code

Okay, so let's spitball this. I have used somewhere around 20 addresses since March. In the name of irrational guesstimation, let's say each current user has used 20 addresses. So using RationalSpeculator's 60k figure, that gives us 3000 users. Seems low. Any other ideas out there?

That chart is per day. Not cumulative. The total number of addresses is in the millions- but I don't see an aggregate number. Looks vaguely like 40m, so that would be 2 million users. Seems a bit high, but realistic.
Activity: 329
LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Someone said 10 million people used bitcoins, that sounded plausible until I realized that's 0.14% of the global population, which seems way too many, and a valuation of bitcoin at $1 billion way too low for such a coverage.

Upon researching I discovered 'Number of unique Bitcoin Addresses Used' on blockchain charts.

Seems like a plausible representation of how many people own bitcoins. Many have more than one address they use but that graph is likely not showing unused addresses that do represent people with bitcoins.

So it's at 60k, it was at 30k in 2012 before the bubble. And at 10k after the 2011 bubble.

That seems believable, around 60k people own bitcoins. 

Would you agree? Or do you think it's more or less?
Pages:
Jump to: