Pages:
Author

Topic: Banks offering only 1.3% interest rates for Savings Account - page 8. (Read 2341 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
I went to my bank today to change money to foreign currency because I will be traveling abroad soon. I asked the lady what are the current annual interest rates if you decide to give your money to bank for certain period of time without being able to withdraw that money (Savings Account).
She said proudly that zhe interest rate is 1.3% which is the highest in the country. I was holding my laugh and smiled kindly to her and I said that even 1.3% is not enough for me.
What do you guys think? I think 1.3% per year is a joke. Money can lose that much value in one year so you didn't actually profit at all. What kind of interets rates do you get at your banks?
It's about the same to be honest, there is typically little in excess of 1.5% if you're lucky, there is maybe one instance I can think of that does have closer to 2% but you have to deposit a certain monthly amount into the account in order to maintain the interest rate, otherwise it drops and you don't have the same interest rate, it becomes lower than 1.3% if I am remembering the deal correctly.

I know there are some investments that I could be making more use of which would be returning close to 8% or 10% yearly, but I haven't looked into them yet and they're fairly new, so there's no good indicators as to their longevity.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1042
I think the bank will pay you far less than a mortgage rate so they make money. That's really what it comes down to. Mortgage rates are low, so 1.3% is the most they'll do? What a useless meaningless number. It's worse than nothing because you're losing buying power. You've come to the right place to beat inflation.
copper member
Activity: 1380
Merit: 504
THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA
1.3% is a loss after even the official inflation rates. Realistically, 1.3% is a horrible loss.

And as far as fiat being risk free? Hardly. Just look at how different currencies fluctuate. The CAD lost over 6% against the USD recently.

Eventually enough people will figure out that fiat isn't really worth anything, and the little value it has loses purchasing power daily. Investors already know this. When the masses figure it out, they'll join the investors in finding places to park their money better than a bank.

While I've been skeptical about asset-based ICOs, they could play a very real role there. That is, for example, in a real estate token, you could dump fiat into it and have, just for example, say 0.025% of a house, or a small fraction of a commercial building. While they're still subject to market prices, real estate (in some places) only goes up, and does so well ahead of inflation. That would be a good place to park wealth in for people with little capital. No large investments, and just that token to show ownership.

Activity: 686
Merit: 108
Here in my place, inflation rate is much higher compare to interest rate that banks offer so if you are wise enough then don’t put much money on the banks, you will loose some money because of inflation.
Activity: 798
Merit: 268
Putting big money on a bank is really useless for me and don’t expect to earn big profit. Instead diversify your portfolio to gain more profit, it’s really true that bitcoin offers low interest rate that can be result to devaluation of you money due to inflation rate.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
I went to my bank today to change money to foreign currency because I will be traveling abroad soon. I asked the lady what are the current annual interest rates if you decide to give your money to bank for certain period of time without being able to withdraw that money (Savings Account).
She said proudly that zhe interest rate is 1.3% which is the highest in the country. I was holding my laugh and smiled kindly to her and I said that even 1.3% is not enough for me.
What do you guys think? I think 1.3% per year is a joke. Money can lose that much value in one year so you didn't actually profit at all. What kind of interets rates do you get at your banks?

Yes it is true even you think that is a joke as a Bank will not be loser at all cost, it is just like you fool yourself to give them your money that you can't get anytime you want and yet it is losing value overtime because of inflation, most of the people that wants to save money do that kind of thing because they think that they can really benefit from it but it's the reverse.

Bitcoin is much more better for investment compare to the Banks that the only intention is to consume the money of people that trust them because of so many hidden charges and fees.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Here in the Philippines, we call that as time deposit where you will be unable to withdraw your money on a specific months or year. Sad to say that we also have an interest rate of 1.25 % a year! Many inveestors said that cryptocurrency unmask the Banks hidden agenda. They are using your money without your knowledge and earn 1000 times or more than 1.25% interest rate they are giving a year. Those interest rate from the bank is a big proof of scam and greed in money.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
The interest rate is low because the central bank's interest is very low as well. And higher interest rates are inevitably going to pose significantly larger amounts of risks. I don't think it's a very smart move to keep a lot of money in a bank account though.
Activity: 477
Merit: 102
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
On the other hand, banks issue money, too, at a low interest. And you can invest them in the bit/altcoins and get 10,000% per annum.
Activity: 266
Merit: 122
This is one reason why banks are afraid that if bitcoin will become a legal tender it can possibly kill all the banks in the world because bitcoin offers highest interest rate in fact putting your bitcoin in your online wallets gives so much rewarding profit aside from the fact that our wallet is very convenient and easy to access unlike banks also banks choose their clients while with bitcoin people has the freedom to choose.
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

if you compare earn and profit in online with bank interest not compatible
bank interest is low, because comapare with loan too, if loan is big interest, country can colaps can't develop road and more
Activity: 686
Merit: 250
In Europe with Euribor tax near or below zero for ages 1% is something VERY good you get from certain products. I just checked my bank webpage and they are giving 0.05 for 6 months deposit and 0.5% for 1 year:)
Activity: 3080
Merit: 603

Are you expecting something good upon depositing your money to the bank? It's not the right place for investing if 1.3% isn't enough for you. Remember that you are only depositing and opening a savings account to them and that rate annually is good to be true. Banks will never give us big profit as they are the ones that will get too much profit from our money. Almost the same rate in my bank and there's also a tax on it so let's say you've earn 1.3% annual interest, multiply it with 20% tax.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
APY (Annual Percentage Yield) on bank savings accounts were higher years back. There were a few banks which offered as high as 3% to 5% APY, if I'm remembering correctly. Even IRA Roth interest rates don't appear as solid as I remember them being with the highest today being around 2%.

Its key to note that the formula utilized to calculate inflation has changed over time. Using the old method to calculate inflation, real inflation is closer to 8% (or higher) in most developed nations, including the united states. This is very similar to the unemployment rate which no longer reflects the true rate of unemployment. U5 or U6 are better metrics of unemployment.

Its not easy to find methods which pay higher interest rates than inflation. That's for certain. Wages too are growing at a slower rate than inflation which is troubling when one thinks about the long term implications.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 534
That's the result of the policies of the governments across the world. Generally people save their money in Banks and prefer to earn some interest on it even if it low so that is indirectly a kind of dead investment. However, when they put their money in stock market, they are pouring money in to the economy directly without any middlemen which helps the economy to grow. Governments want to boost the economy either by making loans cheaper for the businesses or indirectly forcing us to pour money in to the economy.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

I do not know where you leave, but in fact, annual inflation in the European Union is about 2% per year if I am not mistaken. This means that anything 2% per year is just a pure stealing, as it is the very same bank which is printing boats of bank notes on your back, but that is another problem, which is about the deep flaws of the current economical system.
Activity: 644
Merit: 117
swing!
Fixed deposits and investment plan are jokes for banks, they are basically took your money lawfully while not disclosing how their earning would eventually pay off your one figure percentage returns per annum, just some basic math and you would see few hundred thousand is needed to make a significant amount of 'cash' to be free for a month. Banks are really just institution to keep your money, nothing more than that my friend. Relying another party like bank to make you money is just not worth at all, better invest in crypto.
Activity: 477
Merit: 102
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
What do you guys think? I think 1.3% per year is a joke. Money can lose that much value in one year so you didn't actually profit at all.
50% better than 1,3% but if bank gives 50% inflation is 100% and it is terrible. So 1,3% not bad I think.
Activity: 756
Merit: 251
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
1.3% is a joke, i don't think the value will be higer later on due to inflation. If we compared it to bitcoin then surely you can get better value for your money by putting your money into bitcoin. But why is the rate in your country so small and that's the highest? in my country you can get up to 5% for local currency and about 1% for dollar.
Activity: 294
Merit: 101
Good thing you got 1.3% interest annual rate for your savings account, mine was like 1% only. That was once of the reasons why I withdrew some of my savings money and bought bitcoin for long term investment and gladly didn't regret the decision I've made because the savings I invested profited more than the annual interest I got from the bank.
Pages:
Jump to: