Pages:
Author

Topic: Banks' own Blockchain? - page 3. (Read 2427 times)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500
September 16, 2015, 08:58:58 AM
I never understood how a bank blockchain is supposed to work.
Who is mining? If it is just the bank people mining, than I don't see, why they would need a blockchain.
Who can look at it? If it is just the bank people looking at it, than I don't see, why they would need a blockchain.

Is there a white paper about it? Are they actually know, what they are talking about, or are they just throwing around words?

Blockchain technology could be useful for banks. I guess that would be only a distributed transaction processing system what would make transaction processing more resilient, faster and cheaper. But if they release a coin as well, they can use that as an internal or intra-bank currency with some pre-arranged exchange rates to local currencies so they can save time and money as they can use their own common currency when doing business between each other, and with the automated transaction of Ethereum they can automate the whole procedure, so no human intervention needed.

Yes, there is CoinDesk article on the subject: http://www.coindesk.com/global-investment-banks-back-blockchain-initiative/

They may just create interbanking blockchain accepted and supported by all the financial institutions (governments approved). Lol. At least they are finally embracing blockchain tech.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
September 16, 2015, 08:46:19 AM
Who is mining? If it is just the bank people mining, than I don't see, why they would need a blockchain.
Who can look at it? If it is just the bank people looking at it, than I don't see, why they would need a blockchain.

Is there a white paper about it? Are they actually know, what they are talking about, or are they just throwing around words?

Blockchain technology could be useful for banks. I guess that would be only a distributed transaction processing system what would make transaction processing more resilient, faster and cheaper. But if they release a coin as well, they can use that as an internal or intra-bank currency with some pre-arranged exchange rates to local currencies so they can save time and money as they can use their own common currency when doing business between each other, and with the automated transaction of Ethereum they can automate the whole procedure, so no human intervention needed.
Activity: 219
Merit: 102
September 16, 2015, 08:31:23 AM

The blockchain technology would be very useful for the shadow banking industry which is comprised of a large number of separate institutions that need to work together flawlessly to rip everyone off. Imagine if the libor rate or gold spot fix was obtained by consensus on a block chain instead of all the heads of the different banks meeting twice a day to fix a price. It would automate the fraudulent collusion.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
September 16, 2015, 07:58:26 AM

Activity: 138
Merit: 100
More stuff will come.
September 16, 2015, 07:48:53 AM
Not exactly bitcoin but the blockchain technology.  Grin 
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
September 16, 2015, 07:43:39 AM
http://recode.net/2015/09/15/nine-of-the-worlds-biggest-banks-form-blockchain-partnership/

From what I read they are considering Bitcoin but also Ethereum.

Thoughts on all of this?

From my brief read on Ethereum it is a public blockchain, you can mine it etc just like Bitcoin.

Proof of work could possibly lead to more decentralisation (ASIC and FPGA not possible/feasible?)

Pages:
Jump to: