Pages:
Author

Topic: Barn Quilt Trail 2.0 - page 2. (Read 3625 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 20, 2012, 10:42:20 PM

While that bad boy is certainly Faaaabulous, the key question of any QR code is, "Will it scan?"
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
July 20, 2012, 10:37:12 PM
Another requirement I desire to insist on is that the QR-code be rotated 45.5% clockwise, thereby incorporating a unique and consistent look for all forthcoming QR Quilts. The image below is an example of that rotation, coupled with visualizing color.

Bear in mind that most quilts of any ilk are of symmetrical design, but due to the nature of QR-codes, a hybrid symmetry is warranted, bordering on asymmetrical.

~Bruno~
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
July 20, 2012, 04:27:36 PM
This is indeed a brilliant idea. I think weusecoins would be the best place to link, its what I think of as the "newbie link".
legendary
July 20, 2012, 04:06:29 PM
I'm in. --> pm

Well, that's one hell of a start. Nice site, nice work.

My first though/concern is that the colors should be reminiscent of traditional barn quilts, mainly pastels (I believe--need to research). Although I like the circled blocks shown in that other thread, we may have to maintain the square aspect due to the fact that most quilts use squares in their designs, plus less chance of it not working during the scanning process because it may loose a little resolution transferring the finished design onto painted wood.

Another part of the design element I'm going to incorporate, which has nothing to do with the actual QR-core image, is to reproduce this on reclaimed lumber, oppose to the standard sheets of plywood, thus possibly embracing the Greens.

Where else, and how can such a concept be used in all practicality, you ask?

I'll answer that with an example. Three blocks from where I live is the Sandwich, IL, fairgrounds. Facing the main drag, are several barns and barn-like structures. Imagine, on the side of one of those barns, a painted QR-code Barn Quilt, scannable, linked to a site showing dates of upcoming events at the fairgrounds, one of which is the Sandwich Fair. Therefore, I now ask you a question(s). How many fairs are there in the US, and how many of those fairgrounds have barns close to main road?

Now consider this. How many business owners have plain ole looking barns, but are not too keen on having a silly quilt affixed to it? But could those same barn owning entrepreneurs consider putting up a Barn Quilt that has a function as well as aesthetics? One that once scanned links to their enterprise?

After several of these are up, nationwide/globally, wouldn't it be nice to know that the first one linked to Bitcoin? This project is 100% doable without any risk--just support and an occasional nudge.

Let the design process begin, and let's agree upon which site it should be linked to. I don't have a bias opinion on that, but I will suggest bitcoin.org, weusecoins, and bit-pay, for starters.

~Bruno~
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
July 20, 2012, 03:11:48 PM
I'm in. --> pm
legendary
July 20, 2012, 02:00:37 PM

Inspired from the image above, I immediately recalled images like the one below.

These are referred to as Barn Quilts. The following link will get you up to speed: http://barnquiltinfo.com/history.html

Donna Sue Groves' idea continues to inspire folks across the country to join what has become the largest grassroots public arts movement in our history.

I propose the first ever QR Quilt to be affixed to a barn, thus hoping to create a new trend. So that there's no missed opportunity for Bitcoin, ideally the first one should link to some prominent Bitcoin related site like bitcoin.org or some other.

I'm willing to provide all the material and labor, as well as procuring a barn for this endeavor. But what I need from the community is a consensus as to where the QR-code will link to, and its quilt-like design. One more thing! It has to be a functioning QR-code, one that can be captured from afar with a smartphone.

I believe that if we can accomplish this task, media outlets will pick up on the creation. I do have one such outlet in mind if its editor isn't too busy boosting about his 5,000th post.  Grin

It's either I get busy on this project, or revert back to demanding a video of Zhou Tong lassoing mustangs in Montana to prove he's real.  Grin

With any luck, possibly an inclusion in a new edition of the following book is not outside the realm of possibility. http://barnquiltinfo.com/personalized.html

~Bruno~
Pages:
Jump to: