Pages:
Author

Topic: Bee population dying off - page 2. (Read 1484 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
June 20, 2013, 02:34:45 PM
I vaguely recall here in the UK there was a big fuss from farmers about pesticides from the big farms etc. poisoning their livestock when they drank from the water but I think that was a long while ago and all I know about this sort of thing really, but it does happen, usually it's just a few twats who make life a misery for everyone else by not disposing of things properly.
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
June 20, 2013, 02:32:03 PM
If we ever see bee population DRASTICALLY drop - most governments will criminalize ALL pesticides, and everything will go back to normal.

I do not follow this topic much, but I think there was some temporary ban on certain pesticides in EU?
Activity: 434
Merit: 254
Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!
June 20, 2013, 02:21:43 PM
I don't really think this story warrants the topic title, and I see similar ones quite a bit around the internet.... When you say "population dying off" it implies that... they're dying off.  What you described here were a couple of specific instances where specific hives have experienced catastrophic loss due to local conditions.  It might sound like a scary number to say "25,000 bees" but a mature hive has 20,000-80,000 workers depending on local conditions.   

Am I crazy?  If I see this title I expect to see hundreds or thousands of hives worth.

Here's the headline "Americans Dying Off"
Here's the story: "Last week, a tour bus containing the entire Smith family (48 members) careened off of an overpass, exploding in a ball of fire.  Some have attributed this catastrophic incident to dangerous chemicals applied to the road which led to the loss of control and subsequent fiery demise."

Tragic yes, accurate no.
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
June 20, 2013, 01:35:10 PM
Looks like someone is going to get busted for not following the label laws while applicating.

Dinotefuran is pretty mean stuff on bees.  The label specifically says not to spray in the presence of bees.

Hopefully it was hot enough that the bumble bees died before bringing the chemical back to the hive.

Maybe the hives will recover despite loosing all its workers.
Yes as bees provide earth with most of the food on it if they die off so woould alot of things.
Activity: 457
Merit: 291
June 20, 2013, 01:29:11 PM
Looks like someone is going to get busted for not following the label laws while applicating.

Dinotefuran is pretty mean stuff on bees.  The label specifically says not to spray in the presence of bees.

Hopefully it was hot enough that the bumble bees died before bringing the chemical back to the hive.

Maybe the hives will recover despite loosing all its workers.
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
June 20, 2013, 01:14:54 PM
An estimated 25,000 bumblebees have been found dead in a Target parking lot in Wilsonville since Saturday, the largest known incident of bumblebee deaths in the United States, according to the Xerces Society. Preliminary information suggests pesticides may be at fault.

The Oregon Department of Agriculture received reports of bees and other insects falling out of 55 blooming European linden trees Monday from the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation.

The bees were still dying on Wednesday. Yellow-faced bees fell from the trees, twitching on their backs or wandering in tight circles on the asphalt. Some honeybees and ladybugs were also found dead. A few dead bumblebees even clung to linden flowers, while hundreds littered the lot.

Source: http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/06/25000_bubblebees_killed_droppi.html#/0
Pages:
Jump to: