Topic: Bees - page 2. (Read 862 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
August 03, 2019, 06:19:30 AM
Great hobby by the way
Activity: 64
August 02, 2019, 08:10:35 PM
They look very intimidating. You're not afraid to take away their prey?
Activity: 574
Merit: 152
August 02, 2019, 07:27:50 PM
I didnt get into beekeeping for the honey. I have a sizable garden and a handful of fruit trees, and having reliable pollination greatly increases crop yield. Bees are more work than a lot of people expect though. I'd say I spend maybe an hour per week checking bees (takes me about 2 hours every other week) for the most part though, and that seems to be pretty standard unless you find something wrong, then you need to spend more time.

Food autarky is hard to obtain. Pollination makes it complicated. Tbh, with complex robots, we could make it happen.
Activity: 153
Merit: 23
August 02, 2019, 06:03:50 PM
I am of envy for the pictures in this thread,     Makes me want some honey  Tongue
Activity: 224
Merit: 1
July 31, 2019, 02:46:55 PM
I don't know why but such photos terrifies me my whole life
Activity: 546
Merit: 32
July 31, 2019, 02:33:01 PM
too much hassle and they only produce honey (sugar).

I would rather just grow my tomatoes and fruit trees with no effort and get fruit that I like a lot more than honey.

I didnt get into beekeeping for the honey. I have a sizable garden and a handful of fruit trees, and having reliable pollination greatly increases crop yield. Bees are more work than a lot of people expect though. I'd say I spend maybe an hour per week checking bees (takes me about 2 hours every other week) for the most part though, and that seems to be pretty standard unless you find something wrong, then you need to spend more time.

thats a good point but I get more than enough yield from my few trees and plants.  More than I could ever eat.
But you need bees for the proliferation,if there is no process happening on the trees then only leaves will be left in this world no more fruits and flowers.

If there is no bee then humankind will extinct.
Activity: 39
July 31, 2019, 11:06:05 AM

I would rather just grow my tomatoes and fruit trees with no effort and get fruit that I like a lot more than honey.

thats a good point but I get more than enough yield from my few trees and plants.  More than I could ever eat.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
July 31, 2019, 10:23:26 AM

Activity: 39
July 31, 2019, 08:29:42 AM

legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
July 31, 2019, 05:59:50 AM
pure honey is one of the expensive and most wanted medicine to cure many disease

That's the royal jelly, not just the simple honey. Honey is healthy and great tasting as well though.
Activity: 546
Merit: 32
July 31, 2019, 05:43:39 AM
My friend keeps bees, it's an insanely profitable business.
But it needs lot of experience as well,pure honey is one of the expensive and most wanted medicine to cure many disease and also gor skin care like cosmetic products so have good potential in long term as well.
legendary
July 30, 2019, 11:45:34 PM
Those inlets. You probably have so much robbing.

I'm just as surprised as you, but apparently not. I see the occasional bee try to get in through the ventilation up top, but I've only seen the tussle between guard bees and robbers once. They take out plenty of wasps though. I have a tremendous amount of guard bees that cover the entire landing board (and come peacefully check me out whenever I sit down next to the hive).  I watch them smell and crawl over any incoming bees before they are allowed in.

It probably doesn't hurt that I haven't hit a dearth yet.
July 30, 2019, 11:32:24 PM

Those inlets. You probably have so much robbing.
legendary
July 30, 2019, 10:17:01 PM
Heres a documentary on youtube about funny honey. In Nepal, they climb cliff sides to harvest honey from giant himalayan bees. There are a lot of wild poisonous plants in the area, primarily rhododendrons, that the bees collect nectar and pollen from that makes the honey they produce toxic. People sure are drawn to poison huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_b2i_FvYPw

*edit*

Someone else contribute stuff. I might go on strike for new bee pics until I get to stare at other ladies. It feels wrong only posting my girls in a "sharing" thread.

Here you go buddy.

Activity: 1197
Merit: 482
July 30, 2019, 10:11:56 PM
When people say they "do it for the honeys" I usually don't expect them to mean this. Cool pics.
Activity: 311
Merit: 100
July 30, 2019, 10:05:58 PM
My friend keeps bees, it's an insanely profitable business.
July 30, 2019, 08:51:59 PM
Someone else contribute stuff. I might go on strike for new bee pics until I get to stare at other ladies. It feels wrong only posting my girls in a "sharing" thread.

Big-winged bee  Lips sealed

Roll Eyes
Activity: 616
Merit: 30
July 28, 2019, 08:03:01 AM
So, I started keeping bees. Bee thread.

A while back, my hive:
https://imgur.com/a/eFbvVld
Nice BeeFarm mate that’s a good business as well

My best friend started having hive wayback 2015 and now he’s the biggest supplier of Honey in he’s region so basically this isn’t profitable and also helpful to the environment
July 28, 2019, 07:27:45 AM

Bringing in the pollen (older picture, but checks out).
July 25, 2019, 04:54:40 PM
Over here;

---

Someone else should also post bees.
Pages:
Jump to: