Pages:
Author

Topic: Beginners Guide - page 2. (Read 4563 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
April 21, 2016, 02:00:45 PM
Does mining actually can be profitable in 2016 guys?

Yes but it's gotten much harder at this point.  You really need cheap electricity at this point there is no way around it.  If you don't have cheap electricity then no you will not profit.

And remember profit's from mining never have and never will be a sure bet.  There is always risk with a mining investment.  Right now a big risk is if you buy gear... how long till next gen?  Answer is no one knows.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
April 21, 2016, 10:03:10 AM
Does mining actually can be profitable in 2016 guys?
legendary
March 30, 2016, 07:15:41 PM
How do you figure out if it will return a profit for you? i have seen tons of online calculators and none of them return the same results..

Biggest thing is electricity price, it will make or break your ROI.  Second is VAT some countries it kills mining to.  But electricity is by far the biggest thing.  If you know your electricity we can give you a little bit of help if it's possible.   But it's all speculation.

You can run a ROI calculator your self - https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator hardest part long term on that is difficulty changes.  They have become pretty hard to predict.
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
March 30, 2016, 12:51:31 PM
How do you figure out if it will return a profit for you? i have seen tons of online calculators and none of them return the same results..
legendary
March 28, 2016, 06:30:17 PM
Hi All,

My first post, so i will introduce myself... I'm Sara... Hi!

There is a lot of information around, I guess the hardest part is knowing where to start without jumping around and picking up bits of info, rather than something more structured!

I have bought an ant miner s3 used off eBay to get started with

Are there any getting started guides around you guys would recommend?

Thanks Smiley

Quick instructions.

-Get a receiving address from your wallet
-Join a mining pool.
-Create a worker on the pool
-Find your S3 on the network (factory default is 192.168.1.99) and use your web browser to connect to it
-Go to network tab and setup the info.  I recommend setting the miner to another address in case you ad a second.  Reconnect to the new IP.
-Go to system tab and administration.  put in a password.
-Go to status tab and miner configuration.
-Put in your pools stratum address, worker username and worker password.  If the pool does not use worker passwords just put an x.
-Save everything. 
-Go to miner status and you should see the pool showing alive and the miner hashing.  If not reboot the miner and check again.

That's it for an S3.

By the way, what is a mining pool and what is S3?

One topic that I suggest you look into is ROI.   Or Return On Income, with crypto currency ROI makes or breaks you. It is going to be highly linked to your electricity price.   So you need to know your electricity price and be 100 percent sure of it then start looking into ROI.

But that is one of the biggest topics to look into when thinking about being a miner.   It also can be one of the hardest as speculation is not easy on difficulty currently.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1710
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
March 28, 2016, 08:04:46 AM
Hi All,

There is a lot of information around, I guess the hardest part is knowing where to start without jumping around and picking up bits of info, rather than something more structured!

Thanks Smiley

Quick instructions.

-Join a mining pool.
-Find your S3 on the network (factory default is 192.168.1.99) and use your web browser to connect to it
-Go to network tab and setup the info.  I recommend setting the miner to another address in case you ad a second.  Reconnect to the new IP.
-Go to system tab and administration.  put in a password.
-Put in your pools stratum address, worker username and worker password.  If the pool does not use worker passwords just put an x.
-Save everything.  
-Go to miner status and you should see the pool showing alive and the miner hashing.  If not reboot the miner and check again.

That's it for an S3.

1. Pooled mining:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Pooled_mining

2. Antminer S3

Specifications:
Hash Rate: 441 GH/s±5%
Power Consumption: 340 Watt at the wall
Power Efficiency: 0.77 J/GH on wall
Power Supply: 12V DC
Size:  331 mm x 137 mm x 160 mm
Fans: Two 12038 fans mounted on both front and back ends.
Operating Temperature: 0 °C to 35 °C
Complied with: FCC / CE
Network Connection: Ethernet
Das
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
March 28, 2016, 07:55:50 AM
Hi All,

Thanks Smiley

Quick instructions.

-Join a mining pool.
-Go to network tab and setup the info.  I recommend setting the miner to another address in case you ad a second.  Reconnect to the new IP.
-Put in your pools stratum address, worker username and worker password.  If the pool does not use worker passwords just put an x.
-Save everything. 
-Go to miner status and you should see the pool showing alive and the miner hashing.  If not reboot the miner and check again.

That's it for an S3.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
March 28, 2016, 03:14:53 AM
I know a lot of people do not like them but you will find getting going on Antpool or F2pool the easiest. Once you have your system reliably running then you can try some of the others like kano & slush.

Rich

Activity: 702
★The Best Adult Video Chat Platform★
March 28, 2016, 02:17:35 AM
I've been mining on Slush since I started.  Other than the occasional run of bad luck no complaints. 
Activity: 8
March 28, 2016, 02:15:34 AM
WOW super advise guys!!! <3

Are there recommend pools? Or just 'what's best for you'?

I hear a lot about slush's pool and bitminter  Huh

Thanks again for all your help!
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1130
Bitcoin FTW!
March 27, 2016, 07:56:57 PM
Remember that your router ip has to be 192.168xxx, otherwise it will not work. I wish Antminers worked on 10.0.0.x, because when I switched my router ip, it was a pain in the butt. Took down a few electronics, but was fine after a few days. Nowadays I run a few s3s and 2 s5s on my router, still fine n working.
legendary
March 27, 2016, 07:14:05 PM
Hi All,

Thanks Smiley

Once you get it setup on your network it's pretty much sign up for a pool, and enter information on S3.  So the one people have most trouble with is networking I would say as entering info.... is pretty easy.

Do you know the IP of your miner?   Do you know the IP range your network uses?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
March 26, 2016, 06:44:39 PM
Activity: 702
★The Best Adult Video Chat Platform★
March 26, 2016, 02:02:28 PM
Hi All,

Thanks Smiley

Quick instructions.

-Join a mining pool.
-Save everything. 

That's it for an S3.
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
March 26, 2016, 11:20:27 AM
Hi All,

Thanks Smiley

sure some on youtube  wait  for a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtvHY0GYGHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pEPjo3BWU
Activity: 8
March 26, 2016, 04:54:31 AM
Hi All,

Thanks Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: