Pages:
Author

Topic: Benefits of multisig usage? - page 2. (Read 1782 times)

Activity: 377
Merit: 253
September 15, 2012, 08:20:11 PM

But I expect that the most common use-case will be for regular users to split their private keys between two devices (such as primary computer and smartphone), such that both devices need to be compromised for the attacker to get the coins (and the user will have to access both devices to use it).

What if one loses his smartphone? Nowadays how does it works with the double authentication in this case?

I just want to keep it quite simple, in this case he will just lost others money so they have to trust others, but we can increase number of trust persons CDE to larger one CDEFGHIJ.. and give a rules like two can lost their insurance level etc making it more and more complicated.

Benefit from that is that me could make use of my amount of money without taking risk, or manage risk without additional cost of risk put in banking system (or lower risk replacing banking system with more transparent bitcoin system).

But It's not thread about this it was just example to get some tech question.
I'm still looking for answer over forum.
Activity: 389
Merit: 250
September 15, 2012, 08:04:27 PM

But I expect that the most common use-case will be for regular users to split their private keys between two devices (such as primary computer and smartphone), such that both devices need to be compromised for the attacker to get the coins (and the user will have to access both devices to use it).

What if one loses his smartphone? Nowadays how does it works with the double authentication in this case?
September 15, 2012, 07:48:07 PM
And another Q:
In addition to previous scenario, could we obligate C, D, E to keep 500BTC till Friday on their specific addresses, and if they won't do that if one of them will default others will auto-transfer their 500BTC to me.
Do we have to engage additional institutions to track C, D, E wallets value?

This scenario lest me to lend money without takeing risk, makeing my profit shure in given time, and all risk is dived for C, D, E.

What you would say for that auto dept mechanism?

It's off topic. I'm just looking for answ. for tech. questions, if idea is worth discussion - I'll start new thread.
September 15, 2012, 07:37:53 PM
Simply put:  regular bitcoins only need to be signed by one address (private key) in order to be spent.  If coins are encumbered in a multi-signature transaction, it requires multiple signatures -- perhaps multiple, different, geographically separated computers.  Or multiple people.  Perhaps 2 out of 3 owners of a company will need to supply signatures to send the coins.

There's a very rich set of functionality that can be enabled through multi-sig.  Escrows, contracts, I can't even fathom all of them myself.  But the key is that there is no longer a single point of vulnerability for multi-signature-required coins.  An attacker will have to compromise multiple computers/people/nodes/servers in order to steal those coins.

EDIT: there's other features of multi-sig that might actually make it easier to spend [allow any one of multiple people to access them], or produce escrow such that defending against an attacker is not exactly the intent.  But I expect that the most common use-case will be for regular users to split their private keys between two devices (such as primary computer and smartphone), such that both devices need to be compromised for the attacker to get the coins (and the user will have to access both devices to use it).

Unfortunately, all this comes with a lot of extra complexity.  But it's up to application developers (like me), to try to make it useful for non-Bitcoin-experts.  And I look forward to digging into it after Armory becomes beta.

So, soft is not ready, I know it, but technically it is possible now right?
Is it possible to make transactions like this time or block dependent?
Example transaction:
Person A borrows from me 1000 BTC but as insurance he have persons C, D, E who pays 20 BTC each to ensure me that person A is worth my trust.
Person A have to send me back 1010BTC (with interest) before next Friday (block number), and if he will not, automatically C, D, E will lost their 60BTC and I will get that.
If A will send me BTC back in time C, D, E will get their money back.
Is it technically possible now?

If time relation is not possible, we could engage some third party as time responsible and trustworhy company with some satoshi-s profit.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive
September 15, 2012, 06:44:30 PM
Unfortunately, all this comes with a lot of extra complexity.  But it's up to application developers (like me), to try to make it useful for non-Bitcoin-experts.  And I look forward to digging into it after Armory becomes beta.

And I'm sure many appreciate your dedication.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
September 15, 2012, 03:04:38 PM
Simply put:  regular bitcoins only need to be signed by one address (private key) in order to be spent.  If coins are encumbered in a multi-signature transaction, it requires multiple signatures -- perhaps multiple, different, geographically separated computers.  Or multiple people.  Perhaps 2 out of 3 owners of a company will need to supply signatures to send the coins.

There's a very rich set of functionality that can be enabled through multi-sig.  Escrows, contracts, I can't even fathom all of them myself.  But the key is that there is no longer a single point of vulnerability for multi-signature-required coins.  An attacker will have to compromise multiple computers/people/nodes/servers in order to steal those coins.

EDIT: there's other features of multi-sig that might actually make it easier to spend [allow any one of multiple people to access them], or produce escrow such that defending against an attacker is not exactly the intent.  But I expect that the most common use-case will be for regular users to split their private keys between two devices (such as primary computer and smartphone), such that both devices need to be compromised for the attacker to get the coins (and the user will have to access both devices to use it).

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
September 15, 2012, 02:42:03 PM
I think Satoshi Nakamoto and the Bitcoin Devs will earn a Nobel Prize for the development of 2-of-2, 3-of-3, n-of-(2n-1), and m-of-n escrows.
September 15, 2012, 01:15:59 PM
Could someone list benefits of multisig usage?
What exactly we could do?
Pages:
Jump to: