Pages:
Author

Topic: Best budget 6GPU motherboard? - page 2. (Read 640 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 294
December 16, 2017, 03:27:34 AM
I'm a total newbie at mining, but I've worked in I.T. for 25+ years.... Are you doing this as a hobby? I.E. you don't really care how often your rig crashes, or are you looking to build a production setup that you want generating cash for you 24/7? If you care about stability and keeping your rig up and running with the least crashes possible, don't cheap out on your motherboard or your power supplies, they're the heart or your setup.

All sound advice for a daily driver computer or gaming computer.  But when it comes to mining, the problems you are going to have with stability are more related to the OS, drivers and mining software.  A quality power supply is good advice though.

I'm debating between EVGA and Corsair power supplies at the moment.

Don't split hairs... they are both good.

As a newbie, I can't say which MB is best as I'm still researching that myself... I will say that I wish I could get an Intel branded everything (motherboard, chipset and CPU) because that has provided me the most stability in an enterprise level environment. I remember the old days of 3 different brands and companies for MB, chipset and CPU and how many times our systems would blue screen or hang as a result....

I won't begrudge your preference, but this is mining, not enterprise.  You want your equipment to be cheap and fast.  Reliable is nice, but not necessary, as the CPU, motherboard, and related hardware are not that taxed during mining.

I'm looking at a mining board and in the rudimentary research I've done so far I'm leaning towards Asus. I've never owned a Biostar motherboard so I have no experience with their level of quality. I was looking at the Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ (it was one of the first boards I found using the Google machine), but Asrock as a name has never struck me as top tier and after reading about people having shorting problems on the PCI-E risers because the slots are too close together that has made me shy away from them as a brand.

Asrock is a good brand as well.

I've been researching for weeks now, hours a day to ensure when I do make the purchase, I'm getting it as close to right as I can the first time.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
Activity: 134
Merit: 10
December 16, 2017, 03:08:08 AM
The Asrock B85 Anversary and H81 BTC R2.0 are ok, I use some of them. And if you're on windows 10 use only 1703.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
December 16, 2017, 02:59:08 AM
I'm a total newbie at mining, but I've worked in I.T. for 25+ years.... Are you doing this as a hobby? I.E. you don't really care how often your rig crashes, or are you looking to build a production setup that you want generating cash for you 24/7? If you care about stability and keeping your rig up and running with the least crashes possible, don't cheap out on your motherboard or your power supplies, they're the heart or your setup. I'm debating between EVGA and Corsair power supplies at the moment.

As a newbie, I can't say which MB is best as I'm still researching that myself... I will say that I wish I could get an Intel branded everything (motherboard, chipset and CPU) because that has provided me the most stability in an enterprise level environment. I remember the old days of 3 different brands and companies for MB, chipset and CPU and how many times our systems would blue screen or hang as a result....

I'm looking at a mining board and in the rudimentary research I've done so far I'm leaning towards Asus. I've never owned a Biostar motherboard so I have no experience with their level of quality. I was looking at the Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ (it was one of the first boards I found using the Google machine), but Asrock as a name has never struck me as top tier and after reading about people having shorting problems on the PCI-E risers because the slots are too close together that has made me shy away from them as a brand.

I've been researching for weeks now, hours a day to ensure when I do make the purchase, I'm getting it as close to right as I can the first time.

If $100 is your target and 6 GPUs, this Gigabyte MB got 4/5 stars on Amazon and NewEgg.ca and is $104 CAD.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145016

Also, you're mentioning overclocking... If you're mining, you're probably only going to be overclocking and tweaking your GPUs. To save $$$ on power, miners can go with as little as a low end celeron processor since the CPU in your rig hardly breaks a sweat... GPUs do all the work.

Activity: 700
Merit: 294
December 16, 2017, 02:31:03 AM
The Biostars are pretty reliable motherboards.  Remember, this is not a gaming PC, but a mining PC.  You don't need wiz-bang features, but a motherboard that just works.

Also, price matters in mining.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
December 16, 2017, 12:33:33 AM
Looking for the cheapest board known to support 6 GPUS. I am in Canada and the best i can find right now is the Biostar TB85 for about 100 CAD (That is about $78 USA). Just wondering if there are any cheaper boards out there that i may be overlooking as i would really prefer not to but a Biostar board. heh

Thanks Cheesy

Pages:
Jump to: