Pages:
Author

Topic: Best current cold storage method - page 4. (Read 6657 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 531
Crypto is King.
November 03, 2015, 02:16:18 PM
hardcode private key into an ingest-able micro computer and fuse with main brain frame, just turn your wifi off to make offline
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
November 03, 2015, 02:13:17 PM
I have read around some and cant find much that isnt a few years old.

Im new to BTC and was going to keep a few hundred $ worth on blockchain.info to spend and then invest in a few thousand $ in an offline manner.  Is a paper wallet the best bet?  I am not very tech savvy.  Also where is the best exchange to buy from?  Thanks in advance.

hard to say "best".

use a hardware wallet for a part of your coins:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
November 03, 2015, 02:11:51 PM
So I made  my first purchase on Coinbase and it limited me to $500.  I verified my ID and my credit card.  Is there any other way to get more BTC sooner?  I dont want to wait the 3 days or whatever it is.

You could also open an account at Circle.com.

Thanks, just did that.  Are Circle and coinbase pretty much the two to stick with?
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
November 03, 2015, 01:51:06 PM
I made a fairly basic brain wallet a couple of months ago and the BTC is still there.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
November 03, 2015, 01:47:53 PM
So I made  my first purchase on Coinbase and it limited me to $500.  I verified my ID and my credit card.  Is there any other way to get more BTC sooner?  I dont want to wait the 3 days or whatever it is.

You could also open an account at Circle.com.
November 03, 2015, 01:43:25 PM
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
November 03, 2015, 01:24:44 PM
I'm still perfectly content with paper. I wouldn't trust flash memory or my brain.

But flash memory and brain is fire resistant (if you dont put it near fire)

Paper can easily burn if you have a house fire.

There are many electric items in my house that can catch fire anytime, I dont want it to burn down my private key.
Indeed, fires aren't that rare these days.

Also the one who suggested memorizing your whole private key and address, come on. That's even worse, who knows what could happen in 2-10 years. You could hit your head, get a concussion, get blackout drunk, get a disease, whatever that could make you forget your address and key.

I dont know but isnt STORJ a good place to store your private key?

You can double encrypt it, and then upload it there, and it will be encrypted again. Triple encryption is impossible to break.

And then for safety reasons you can change your address and send the money to new funds every 2-3 years.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
November 03, 2015, 09:48:14 AM
I'm still perfectly content with paper. I wouldn't trust flash memory or my brain.

But flash memory and brain is fire resistant (if you dont put it near fire)

Paper can easily burn if you have a house fire.

There are many electric items in my house that can catch fire anytime, I dont want it to burn down my private key.
Indeed, fires aren't that rare these days.

Also the one who suggested memorizing your whole private key and address, come on. That's even worse, who knows what could happen in 2-10 years. You could hit your head, get a concussion, get blackout drunk, get a disease, whatever that could make you forget your address and key.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
November 03, 2015, 09:39:17 AM
Copy your encrypted wallet.dat onto multiple USB sticks, and put them in safes, and leave one off-site with a trusted family member - Do not share your password with anyone.

i will really not trust on a usb on multiple usbs if your usb fell from your hand to the ground there are many chances its not gonna work or they got corrupted and a usb can anytime as to remove all data to open the folder i have faced many shits with flash drives

for me its paper wallet i find it more secure and again its depend how much you gonna store in there
Activity: 140
November 03, 2015, 09:13:32 AM
I personally like to keep it in the form of a paper wallet. It is hidden in a secret place Smiley.
Activity: 210
BTC > etc
November 03, 2015, 09:02:50 AM
Blockchain is a ledger. Blockchain.info is a service.

Blockchain.info is very weak in terms of security. They would allow anyone to download your encrypted wallet if the wallet ID is entered correctly if you don't have any 2FA. It's slightly more secure with 2FA but inside attacks is still possible. I would go for hardware wallet or at the very least offline paper wallet of I were to buy 5k BTC.

I meant the blockchain.info wallet.  So if I order the Trezor tonight, In the meantime what is the best course of action and which wallet should I be using?
Don't ever use blockchain.info wallet. If you're going to order Trezor, the best choice was to choose a SPV client like Multibit and Electrum. Arguably Bitcoin Core would be the best choice but it would be more viable over the long term, not the short term. It takes too much time to synchronize.

Is it safe to use Electrum while I wait for Trezor?  And which exchange should I buy from?
Yes. Electrum is an open sourced wallet with no vulnerabilities and is fairly fast. However, it is a SPV wallet and does have a downside like all clients. It trusts the miner to enforce Bitcoin rules. When miners mined a block, the full node will check whether it follows the network rule and if it follows the rule, accepting it only if it does. If a few miners mined blocks with invalid rules, your SPV client will accept it as valid while others will not. If the network had a rule change on block version, this problem would exist with older Bitcoin Core versions which is not aware of the rule change.

It isn't a too serious issue right now. The most serious one was with

I second that and would suggest using the multi-sig feature of Electrum (which uses a 2fa) for additional security.
That would actually be adequately secure for most users who don't own a hardware wallet
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
November 03, 2015, 08:30:33 AM

Blockchain.info is very weak in terms of security. They would allow anyone to download your encrypted wallet if the wallet ID is entered correctly if you don't have any 2FA. It's slightly more secure with 2FA but inside attacks is still possible. I would go for hardware wallet or at the very least offline paper wallet of I were to buy 5k BTC.

I meant the blockchain.info wallet.  So if I order the Trezor tonight, In the meantime what is the best course of action and which wallet should I be using?
Don't ever use blockchain.info wallet. If you're going to order Trezor, the best choice was to choose a SPV client like Multibit and Electrum. Arguably Bitcoin Core would be the best choice but it would be more viable over the long term, not the short term. It takes too much time to synchronize.

Is it safe to use Electrum while I wait for Trezor?  And which exchange should I buy from?
Yes. Electrum is an open sourced wallet with no vulnerabilities and is fairly fast. However, it is a SPV wallet and does have a downside like all clients. It trusts the miner to enforce Bitcoin rules. When miners mined a block, the full node will check whether it follows the network rule and if it follows the rule, accepting it only if it does. If a few miners mined blocks with invalid rules, your SPV client will accept it as valid while others will not. If the network had a rule change on block version, this problem would exist with older Bitcoin Core versions which is not aware of the rule change.

It isn't a too serious issue right now. The most serious one was with
Activity: 140
November 03, 2015, 06:59:54 AM
Is there a good link to read more on multi-sig? Trying to educate myself as much as possible.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/multisig.html

&

http://blog.coinkite.com/post/102291566521

is  a good start.

I recommend and use a Hardware wallet, Trezor, Keepkey or Ledger.

Nice guide thank you for this.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
November 03, 2015, 04:06:44 AM
Is there a good link to read more on multi-sig? Trying to educate myself as much as possible.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/multisig.html

&

http://blog.coinkite.com/post/102291566521

is  a good start.

I recommend and use a Hardware wallet, Trezor, Keepkey or Ledger.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
November 03, 2015, 03:56:02 AM
i think that simple paper wallet is best method. print private key, wipe all online existence.
November 03, 2015, 01:15:43 AM
Hate to have to ask, but when I google trezor there are two sites with it.  One is https://www.bitcointrezor.com/  and the other is satoshilabs.com/trezor/  is it the same thing?

Edit: There also is an electrum.com and electrum.org.  I DLed the wallet from the .org, hope im ok.
Activity: 129
Merit: 1
November 03, 2015, 12:11:03 AM
Yes, that should be safe.
November 02, 2015, 11:56:28 PM

I meant the blockchain.info wallet.  So if I order the Trezor tonight, In the meantime what is the best course of action and which wallet should I be using?

Is it safe to use Electrum while I wait for Trezor?  And which exchange should I buy from?
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
November 02, 2015, 11:36:10 PM

Activity: 129
Merit: 1
November 02, 2015, 11:34:11 PM
Trezor or Armory, I think.
Pages:
Jump to: