Pages:
Author

Topic: Best Current Mining Cards for multi-GPU rig? - page 2. (Read 11855 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
What PSU are you talking about for 150usd that will power 4x5970 safely?
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
There are motherboards that can support 4 cards. For example, Gigabyte has motherboard GA-890FXA-UD7 with extended form factor that supports four double spaced cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-890fx-crosshair-iv-formula-890fxa-ud7,2640-6.html.

However it is required to have the special case for such motherboard (XL-ATX).

Yeah, I was looking at the MSI 890FXA-GD70 and the CoolerMaster HAF-X. That combo should fit 4 cards. But Motherboard + Case is $365.

A cheap case + cheap motherboard could save $~250.

If I could get 2 5970s for under $600 each, then I'd come out ahead on the dual 5970 system with a cheaper motherboard and case.

Otherwise, assuming I could cool it, it still seems like the 4x 5870 system makes sense.

And yeah, I understand I could save more by building super cheap cases out of various other things, but I don't think I want to make that optimization.
Activity: 20
There are motherboards that can support 4 cards. For example, Gigabyte has motherboard GA-890FXA-UD7 with extended form factor that supports four double spaced cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-890fx-crosshair-iv-formula-890fxa-ud7,2640-6.html.

However it is required to have the special case for such motherboard (XL-ATX).
Activity: 520
Merit: 253
You would have to use flexible PCIe-extenders to connect four GPUs because if you plug them all directly into MB, they'll block ait intakes of each other.

And you can't plug them all directly because standart ATX system would accept only 7 cards (and each 5870 takes double space).

For 4 cards you would need 3 spaces in between, so a total of 7 slots would suffice. Of course, for cooling you need extenders. 1x extenders are probably better for airflow and extra flexibility, and the 1x speed is not a concern for mining.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
I'd just use a test bench
Activity: 280
Merit: 252
Unless the thing I'm missing is cooling. I haven't tried to build a 4 GPU system before. Is it going to be impossible to cool a 4x 5870 system that's running 24/7?
You would have to use flexible PCIe-extenders to connect four GPUs because if you plug them all directly into MB, they'll block ait intakes of each other.

And you can't plug them all directly because standart ATX system would accept only 7 cards (and each 5870 takes double space).

Can you recommend a case that would work with 4 5870's?

You're probably going to have to modify almost any case slightly to fit 4 cards into it.
Activity: 188
Unless the thing I'm missing is cooling. I haven't tried to build a 4 GPU system before. Is it going to be impossible to cool a 4x 5870 system that's running 24/7?

Can you recommend a case that would work with 4 5870's?
Activity: 126
CPU + mobo + RAM = 175$, PSU = 150$, case or stand or wtv = 50$, misc items = 25$, 4x 5870s = 800$

You can probably squeeze it in a 1200$ budget

6990 at 700$ isn't too bad either
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Activity: 16
I've been searching forums and IRC logs, along with plugging numbers into a spread sheet to figure out the best current GPUs to buy for a dedicated mining rig.

But there are a few questions I just can answer without experience.

I'm basing my performance numbers on the data here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Based on that, I think I could build a system with 4x 5870s for ~$1600 total and get around 1.4Ghash. Those cards are going for like $215 each now.

That seems more cost effective than 2x 5970s since I'm having a hard time finding those for less than $650 each. If I had to pay $650 for those cards, I think the best I can do is around $1800 total for that system. I realize some cost savings by getting cheaper MB, case and power supply, but the GPUs cost 3x as much for 2x the performance!. And then I'm doing like 1.2Ghash?

I don't see how the pricing adds up unless I can get lucky and score some used 5970s on ebay for a better price. (I did just see one go for $470 + shipping.)

Also sound may end up being a consideration depending on where I end up keeping this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pages:
Jump to: