Pages:
Author

Topic: Best PDU to break out a 30Amp 220V USA home circuit - page 2. (Read 5708 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Here is a dumb question. I am running Antminers overclocked. And they keep tripping my 15a circuits with just 4.... They take around 425 watts each. Does a PDU allow you to somehow run more power on a circuit than if you were to run it straight through?

No.  But a 30A 240V circuit is going to have 4x the wattage of a 15A 120V one.

Yeah I assume installing that and running wire to a second story would be pretty dang expensive.

It's generally not that expensive when you consider the return on your investment in this space.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Here is a dumb question. I am running Antminers overclocked. And they keep tripping my 15a circuits with just 4.... They take around 425 watts each. Does a PDU allow you to somehow run more power on a circuit than if you were to run it straight through?

Yeah I assume installing that and running wire to a second story would be pretty dang expensive.

True hardcore miner would tell the wife to get rid of Dryer, saturate the Dryer line with rigs and maker her hanging clothes to dry (using heat from the rigs)

LOL  Grin someone must try this....
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Mmmm, delicious!
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063
Gerald Davis

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 952
But I have my motherboards on "on after power loss" and I can reset my systems from anywhere. Also it will switch them on one at a time so you don't surge and trip your breaker

The only bad thing is it comes up with warning at over 24amp's. I don't think it hurts it to run it over that though

We do the same thing with power on after loss, and it's a great way to remotely reboot a rig.

As far as turning them on one at a time, I don't think you really need to do that. Unlike a mechanical motor that pulls the most amp draw on startup, mining rigs don't really start to pull their max amps until they're already booted and they start mining. I mean it's not going to hurt, but it's also not completely necessary.

We do time our startup on to have a built in delay for our rigs with dual PSUs. We have the PDU turn on the PSU connected to just the GPUs first, and then 10 second later we turn on the PSU that turns on the rig. We do this to prevent the rig from turning on without registering the GPUs that may not have been fully powered yet.

And lastly, you do want to be careful of pulling too many amps, and you also may need to load-balance your PDU. Our PDUs only have 8 ports, and are rated for 24A, but we accidentally drew 25A exclusively on the right 4 ports, leaving the left 4 empty. It blew an internal fuse, and now those right 4 ports are unresponsive, and it reports a fuse error. Seems the whole unit has a limit of 24A, but the left and right halves also had internal fuses that can't draw the full amount. We're basically left with a 4 port, 12A PDU until we can open it up and replace that fuse. Moral of the story: Load balance is your friend.
Activity: 437
Merit: 250
ap7911 is the same as the 7941 just in a 2u design vs a 0u

We use APC AP7911 30amp 220V PDUs in our racks, they cost about $130 used on ebay. Most ATX supplies accept either 110V or 220V in so all you need is the C13 - C14 cables.

The PDU is rated at 24A (12 Amps per bank @ 220V) so you can pull about 5KVA from your 30 Amp L6-30p plug.

Our racks draw about 5Kw for 10Mh in hashing power:

Bitrocket 5Kw Rack with 30 Amp 220v PDU - 10Mhash

legendary
I found a AP7811 for cheap that I am going to try. (Its the metered but not switched version of the AP7911). I'll go for a 7911 on my 2nd 30A circuit when i buy some more mining equipment.  Thanks for the tips all!
legendary
Activity: 952
We use APC AP7911 30amp 220V PDUs in our racks, they cost about $130 used on ebay. Most ATX supplies accept either 110V or 220V in so all you need is the C13 - C14 cables.

The PDU is rated at 24A (12 Amps per bank @ 220V) so you can pull about 5KVA from your 30 Amp L6-30p plug.

A) Switched PDUs are seriously the shit. We picked up some used Sentry ones for like $40/each a few months ago. The first time I logged into the web interfaces and turned on our first 12kW of GPUs I had the biggest dumb grin on my face. And now, remotely power-cycling any of our miners is well worth the initial investment.

B) That's a sexy looking rack. Giggity. Wink But seriously, well done with that. We were gonna go with a rack/shelf idea, but we were trying to cram too many into the rack at a time, and ran into heat issues. We really wanted 5 GPUs per rig, and we were trying to fit each rig within 6U, which meant staying away from stock frames like what you've got. We ended up going with a $70 2'dx4'wx5'h shelving unit and some 1"x2" trim that gives us 2 rigs on each of the 5 shelves.
Activity: 71
Merit: 10

Activity: 437
Merit: 250
I have the APC AP7941 got it for $120 off amazon. Another $40 for cables or so (C13 to C14) and your all set. If you buy one request that it is reset to factory defaults cause I spent alot of time trying to make the cable to reset it. But I have my motherboards on "on after power loss" and I can reset my systems from anywhere. Also it will switch them on one at a time so you don't surge and trip your breaker

The only bad thing is it comes up with warning at over 24amp's. I don't think it hurts it to run it over that though
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Owner, Minersource.net
What power distribution unit do you guys suggest to connect to a 30 amp 220 V USA home circuit. It will have a L6-30R receptacle.

I have some spare dell 30R's, we ended up going with 6-20r.
legendary
What power distribution unit do you guys suggest to connect to a 30 amp 220 V USA home circuit. It will have a L6-30R receptacle.
Pages:
Jump to: