Pages:
Author

Topic: Best Second Hardware Wallet To Buy? - page 2. (Read 338 times)

Activity: 758
Merit: 606
March 14, 2021, 04:43:33 PM
Jerry ---- I know there is another trezor called trezor model T.  So that is better than the regular trezor one?

Absolutely worth the T if you are getting a new hardware wallet.

First:  AND THIS IS A BIG ONE --- > the continued crap (repeated over and over) about being able to extract your SEED by stealing your Trezor T is incorrect.  That is unless the user has not learned to use the SD slot on the hardware wallet (Trezor T) allowing the SEED and PIN to be encrypted and COMPLETELY out of reach to a thief that steals your Trezor T alone!

Answer this question as it applies to you.  You have to make a decision here.  BTC, which broke 61K this week, is so valuable.  Are you really going to decide to buy a hardware wallet and try and save less than 100 dollars from cheapest to most expensive knowing the value that device protects?  There are many solid ways to protect the custody of BTC and crypto in general.  Hardware wallets are simply one way and are great for newer users - especially. Part of your decision is to determine if you are going to maximize the potential of your hardware wallet.  e.g. if you get a Trezor T will you learn to employ all the methods available to keep yourself safe?  Would you spend thousands of dollars on the best computer and ignore the manual using only its basic features?  Many do exactly that when they buy a Trezor T and stick with basic plug and play.  Why?  Don't know; but it baffles me why you would pay the full amount and only use the basics.  My .02
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
March 14, 2021, 04:20:28 PM

I ignored the Ballet the first time I looked at it exactly because of the trust required, but this BIP38 encrypted version looks very nice indeed.
I appreciate your opinion on the OpenDime, and I realize how it works.  It's such a sexy little device, though!

And yeah, I don't think anyone ought to be using a regular Ballet for storing crypto because of that leap of trust, but that Pro Ballet one is very enticing--except for its price, which is too expensive for what it is IMO.  Buying a Ledger or Trezor would be better options than either the Ballet or OpenDime, but I don't know of any other HW wallet that doesn't have major problems.  I really wish I did.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
March 14, 2021, 03:15:07 PM
How about an OpenDime for long-term storage?
I would say definitely not. You shouldn't be using an OpenDime for either long term storage or for significant sums of money.

The only way to verify that the private key on an OpenDime was generated securely is to unseal it and reveal the private key, at which point you've kind of defeated the purpose of it. There is also no way to back up the private key again without unsealing the device. That means you either unseal the device, or you don't have a back up, which is a dangerous situation to be in with long term storage. Also, if anyone stumbles across your device, they can clear you out since there is no PIN or password.

There is a new model, the Pro series, that seems to eliminate that concern (though it's much more expensive than the standard Ballet).
I ignored the Ballet the first time I looked at it exactly because of the trust required, but this BIP38 encrypted version looks very nice indeed.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
March 14, 2021, 12:55:56 PM
I think you are too much worried about things which are not important.
Well, that's jerry0 for you.  That's just the way he is.

How about an OpenDime for long-term storage?  The standard hardware wallets are convenient for sending coins whenever you want to, but I really like the OpenDime's concept and design--though I'm not sure if it actually qualifies as a bona fide HW wallet. 

The Ballet is another design I really, really like except for the fact that you have to trust that the manufacturer doesn't have a master list of all the private keys in its possession.  There is a new model, the Pro series, that seems to eliminate that concern (though it's much more expensive than the standard Ballet).  I just love the card design, which is aesthetically pleasing and compact enough to be hidden away.

Other than those, I haven't experimented too much with other HW wallets as I don't exactly have tons of crypto to keep in any of them.  The few that I have purchased are more as crypto collectibles rather than ones I'll actually use.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5628
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
March 14, 2021, 11:00:38 AM
No offense jerry0, but i feel like this question of yours has been answered already in similar threads.

I completely agree with you, his questions seem sincere, but it is evident that he does not at all adopt the knowledge presented to him here over a period of several years. It is ugly to say, but it seems that he will never understand even the most basic things, no matter how many times and more than clearly something was explained to him. It seems that the only option will be to deny him access to this board, although he does the same thing throughout the forum.

jerry0, instead of opening new threads, start reading all the ones you have opened so far - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;threads;u=1152036;sa=showPosts
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
March 14, 2021, 10:07:59 AM
No offense jerry0, but i feel like this question of yours has been answered already in similar threads.

You are asking the wrong questions.
Be assured, that everything regarding safety and security has already been discussed with you. And at least a few hundred posts already have replied to your questions.

And i feel confident in assuming that i am not the only one answering PM's from you regarding safety/security measurements.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
March 14, 2021, 03:03:10 AM
IMO, if you don't feel safe with those options (you can't "trust" them) then there is no need to buy them. Stick with Trezor, Ledger, or whatever hardware wallet that you and the community think good enough as a hardware wallet. If you're still not sure then make the first wallet never touched the internet, manage it using an air-gapped pc or something else.

Btw, it would be nice you don't put a lot of space between your texts to make them easier to read.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
March 13, 2021, 09:27:26 PM
However, ledger nano is safe, even though some of its software is not open source.
Just only ledger secure element is close source, all others are open source, that is why people still recommend ledger nano because only the way it is generating and storing seed phrase is close source, but very possible a close source secure element can have vulnerabilities that would predetermine generated seed phrase. Although not implying ledger nano is not safe, but implying better using what is completely open source in my opinion.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
March 13, 2021, 08:35:35 PM
Close source is open source... so open source is better?  Or its your opinion that its better?  What does general percentage of ppl think on this?
Everyone prefer open source software, because they are safer.

However, ledger nano is safe, even though some of its software is not open source.

So if you didn't put a passphrase on your trezor, someone with access to your trezor could access your wallet by extracting it out?  How long would that take?  So if someone had access to it for a short time, they could do it?   Or no passphrase, they have access to it?  There is a pin though right like with the nano ledger s? 

Trezor has a vulnerability that can only be mitigate by using a passphrase. You can read about it here:

https://www.ledger.com/improving-the-ecosystem-disclosure-of-the-trezor-recovery-phrase-extraction-vulnerability
There is another workaround to still keep your cryptocurrencies secure as well. Similar to Ledger devices, a Trezor hardware wallet can be set up with a passphrase. This is an extra word of your own choosing that you can add on top of your recovery phrase. To make sure it’d be nearly impossible to brute force your passphrase, it is strongly recommended to add a lengthy (preferably over 37 characters), random and secure passphrase.

I think you are too much worried about things which are not important.

THere is no problem in removing and adding apps in your ledger nano S. There is no need to replace your device because of that.
However, if you do, you can buy a Ledger Nano X, which has more space to install as many app and shitcoins as you want. The battery is not a problem, and you shouldn't worry about it.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 185
March 13, 2021, 08:21:37 PM
Thanks for response.  Yea you now going to have to write down multiple seeds then and that is another issue with having more than one hardware wallet.

Close source is open source... so open source is better?  Or its your opinion that its better?  What does general percentage of ppl think on this?

Yea i know seed is most important than hardware wallet itself.

So if you didn't put a passphrase on your trezor, someone with access to your trezor could access your wallet by extracting it out?  How long would that take?  So if someone had access to it for a short time, they could do it?   Or no passphrase, they have access to it?  There is a pin though right like with the nano ledger s? 

Well i already bought then nano ledger s directly from ledger a while back so they have my name and address and details already.  Also received that phishing email to my spam folder with the email.  So wouldn't it make no difference ordering another nano ledger s from ledger then since they already have information on me when i bought it the first time?

I assume you also have a nano ledger s as well?  What I do like about the ledger s is... it looks like a usb stick so people would easily mistaken it for that.  With a trezor, well it looks much different so wouldn't a thief think much more of it than the nano ledger s which look like a usb stick?  Same can be said with all those other hardware wallets with big screens which look like it would attract attention etc.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
March 13, 2021, 08:06:57 PM
Do most people here only have one hardware wallet or they have two or even three as extra ones?
People do say having more than one wallet can increase privacy but we should also know that securing 3 seed phrase is more risky than securing one. So, this depends on you, but if need two or more hardware wallet, it means you need to know how to protect your seed phrases.

If you were to get a second hardware wallet, which would you choose?
I will choose open source wallet, Trezor precisely. Ledger nano is not also bad either but its secure element is close source.

I know there is the nano ledger X but the one thing that bothers me is it uses a battery so that means after x amount of years, wouldn't it not work anymore?
Not your hardware wallet is most important, what is most important is your seed phrase. If you have your seed phrase, you have your wallet because you can use it to to recover back your wallet.

I did hear trezor has some security issues where it was hackable but is it still true now?
Nothing wrong with Trezor, but use passphrase in addition to make it safer. If passphrase is not used and a hacker stole it, the hacker later can know your seed phrase after breaking into your wallet and use some no costly tools to extract out the seed phrase, but if strong passphrase is used in addition to the seed phrase, you are still safe in this case. As for me, I still prefer Trezor because it is completely open source.

I know there is another trezor called trezor model T.  So that is better than the regular trezor one?
It comes with larger screen, more features, support more cryptocurrencies but more costly.

Of course if i buy a second hardware wallet, i would buy it directly from the sites and not a reseller like amazon or any other similar site.
Try all means to make sure you fill in details that will not reveal your identity, see what ledger data breach cause its users.

I mean could a regular person who is very tech savy create their own hardware wallet or something?
Yes, but someone needs to be very careful not to make mistakes. You can even buy the hardware wallet parts and assemble it your self but getting the ready-made one is better.

Wouldn't it be best to stick to the two main brands?  Either ledger or trezor?  I feel like any other brand... you don't know if you could trust it one hundred percent in terms of safety issue.  Like which hardware wallets has people here talked about where its not secure etc?  I see brands I never heard of and these cost even more than the nano ledger s and even X.
I prefer Trezor, but people do talk about Coldcard to be very secure also, it is open source and I like open source wallets but not easy to use like trezor and ledger nano.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 185
March 13, 2021, 07:37:52 PM
Have a nano ledger s and had it replaced a while back with another nano ledger s.  I know things change with the software but as of now, how many wallets can you install on your nano ledger s before you need to delete them and read them everytime you want to use a different coin?

Do most people here only have one hardware wallet or they have two or even three as extra ones?  Obviously having another one as a backup is nice but do some of you have two nano ledger s because it can only support x amount of coins and you might be annoyed with adding and re adding the wallets each time?

If you were to get a second hardware wallet, which would you choose?  Is it still either go with nano ledger or trezor?  I know there is the nano ledger X but the one thing that bothers me is it uses a battery so that means after x amount of years, wouldn't it not work anymore?  What about the nano ledger blue?  I did hear trezor has some security issues where it was hackable but is it still true now?  I know there is another trezor called trezor model T.  So that is better than the regular trezor one?   Seem very expensive.  Of course if i buy a second hardware wallet, i would buy it directly from the sites and not a reseller like amazon or any other similar site.

I know there are so many other wallets like coldcard, safepal, keepkey, cobovault, secux, and a ton of hardware wallets when i searched hardware wallets on amazon just to see what is available.

I can't believe there are this many and i saw a post from someone who a huge updated list of hardware wallets and it was more than 50.  I thought... how is that even possible.  I mean could a regular person who is very tech savy create their own hardware wallet or something?

Wouldn't it be best to stick to the two main brands?  Either ledger or trezor?  I feel like any other brand... you don't know if you could trust it one hundred percent in terms of safety issue.  Like which hardware wallets has people here talked about where its not secure etc?  I see brands I never heard of and these cost even more than the nano ledger s and even X.
Pages:
Jump to: