Pages:
Author

Topic: Best wallet for cold storage - page 4. (Read 3784 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
July 21, 2015, 11:50:17 AM
Hi,
I'm going to save some Bitcoins for the future. Which is the safest way to store them?
I was thinking about a wallet on a usb flash drive. Which wallet should I choose?

Thank you

you can take a look here (hardware wallets):

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032
All I know is that I know nothing.
July 21, 2015, 11:12:21 AM
i use electrum as my wallet and i am happy with it so far. i use if on an offline computer that i will never connect it to network.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Move On !!!!!!
July 21, 2015, 10:34:57 AM
The thing I don't like about Trezor is that it isn't mobile. I need a laptop or desktop to use it...not very good for on the road transacting. But if you use it for your vault, I guess it's a great option.

Install mycelium and you will have a great protection on the go with the Trezor! This is the best option for me by far!
legendary
Activity: 1001
Merit: 1005
July 21, 2015, 09:20:08 AM
Memorize 15-20 random words from a large dictionary. Take up to a week to memorize them, ensuring that you can recollect them even if someone woke you in the middle of the night.

Use a well known hash function to converts those words to a (sequence of) large integer(s). This is (are) your private key(s). This needs to be done carefully as the wrong way could render your system insecure. I would suggest

seed = SHA256(word1 || SHA256(word2) || SHA256(word3)... ) as the starting seed
and then use

SHA256(seed || i) to get the ith private key.

You have a (decently) unbreakable wallet now. Of course you need some coding skills to do this.

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1008
Delusional crypto obsessionist
July 21, 2015, 09:12:23 AM
I will suggest for cold storage desktop client of Bitcoin Core with encryption of at least 15 letters password.I am doing this way my Bitcoins for myself and is working fine and safe for me till now.P.S you need to install some good antivirus on your machine to be safe from different types of viruses.

And don't forget to just install any anti virus and click and accept everything without reading.
Oh, but you could also just install linux.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1005
July 21, 2015, 09:03:18 AM
I will suggest for cold storage desktop client of Bitcoin Core with encryption of at least 15 letters password.I am doing this way my Bitcoins for myself and is working fine and safe for me till now.P.S you need to install some good antivirus on your machine to be safe from different types of viruses.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
July 21, 2015, 08:10:01 AM
Hi,
I'm going to save some Bitcoins for the future. Which is the safest way to store them?
I was thinking about a wallet on a usb flash drive. Which wallet should I choose?

Thank you

i am using electrum and i find it pretty easy to set up and use , and most importantly for me the good point is that i don't have to download the whole blockchain.
because i don't exactly have the best internet connection nor enough HDD.
legendary
July 21, 2015, 07:30:01 AM
bitcoin core is the best choice if you want to cold storage your coins.

Tell me how.
Afaik it's a hot wallet
If you never ever connect it to the internet, then it is a cold wallet.
And it the most secure wallet, you don't need afraid any pseudo random wallet.

There is no problem in creating a random number.
Just take a dice and throw it 100 times to create a base6 number.

Voila, supersecure private key.
Stamp it in metal or carve it into stone.
Bury, wait, dig it up and retire.
legendary
Activity: 1134
July 21, 2015, 07:29:48 AM
The best wallet, according to me, is a wallet out of you computer. If not possible this I like to much coinbase. It's safe and credible. Millions of people use it. Some people like to store their bitcoins in their computer through the bitcoin core. This option is good only if you can store the dat file in a usb (better in two) in order to prevent los of bitcoins with the damage of the computer. And there are to may ways that the computer be damaged or crashed.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 21, 2015, 07:24:12 AM

Tell me how.
Afaik it's a hot wallet
If you never ever connect it to the internet, then it is a cold wallet.
And it the most secure wallet, you don't need afraid any pseudo random wallet.
Activity: 639
July 21, 2015, 06:46:29 AM

Tell me how.
Afaik it's a hot wallet

because it's the most secure, the recent invalid blocks, done by mining prove this, i'm talking about the last version, and it can be used with a cold storage on a safe machine, i don't see a problem in running a machine dedicated to the client only without surfing the web, downloading random exe and clicking on suspicious links

yuu don't agree on this?
legendary
July 21, 2015, 06:30:31 AM

Tell me how.
Afaik it's a hot wallet
Activity: 532
July 21, 2015, 05:30:34 AM

legendary
July 21, 2015, 05:22:04 AM
Hi,

Thank you

Take a strip of metal and carve your (unencrypted) private key into it and bury it somewhere.
You can also take a piece of polished granite to carve your private key, this way it will not be detectable by a metal detector.

If your just needing to hide from others something such as a in the wall compartment might work nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Meridian-Point-Hidden-Wall-Outlet/dp/B0082CRN2Q/

It will not protect you from fire though.  So I suggest keeping copy of paper wallet in bank box.

Why would you put it in a bank box.
Why would you give the access to your private information to someone else?
Why not just print it out, put it in a plastic bag and box and bury it in your garden?

Bitcoin is lost when we keep giving our complete trust to the banksters and their lockers...
legendary
Activity: 1456
July 21, 2015, 04:11:55 AM
Hi,

Thank you

Take a strip of metal and carve your (unencrypted) private key into it and bury it somewhere.
You can also take a piece of polished granite to carve your private key, this way it will not be detectable by a metal detector.

If your just needing to hide from others something such as a in the wall compartment might work nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Meridian-Point-Hidden-Wall-Outlet/dp/B0082CRN2Q/

It will not protect you from fire though.  So I suggest keeping copy of paper wallet in bank box.
legendary
July 21, 2015, 04:06:28 AM
Hi,

Thank you

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
July 21, 2015, 03:48:02 AM
usb are ok you don't need to spend much on a device that will offer roughly the same security, but use those usb on a secure machine, which was previously secure erased and everything else

i'm going with this setup since years already and no coins were ever stolen from my balance, the best security is given by yourself
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
July 21, 2015, 02:56:35 AM
I would recommend using Ledger Wallet
Activity: 441
Merit: 250
July 21, 2015, 02:49:57 AM

A bacon wallet is a good place to start, lots of pockets to keep your private keys sorted and a window behind which to stash your QR for payments.
Don't suggest you bring the bacon wallet with you all the time! You can use mobile wallet to store small amount of money for daily spending. With cold wallet, you store your bitcoin holding.
legendary
Activity: 1456
July 21, 2015, 02:42:38 AM
isn't blockchain's wallet is a good option to store btc in a long run ??

It's a hot wallet.  So good for spending cash yes.  They have a lot of money behind them.

But good for storing all your worth.... most would suggest against it.  Go for cold storage.
Pages:
Jump to: