Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware laptop miners! - page 2. (Read 1715 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
March 24, 2014, 06:50:50 AM
Hey all, before I start, please please no "I told you so" and "Stupid noob" comments, don't flame me!!

So, about 2 months ago I decided I was going to try my luck at solo mining some coins after reading a lot about them. As I have little cash I decided to use my lowly laptop to mine lower difficulty coins, seeing as I had no chance with the likes of LTC and BTC.

All was going well until a couple of days ago when my laptop started hanging and freezing. I thought it was just the usual adaptor stopped responding as the temps were good according to CGWatcher.

Unfortunately I failed to heed the warnings my laptop was desperately trying to give me. I left it happily (or so I thought) mining overnight and came down in the morning only to find a blank screen, a strange smell in the air and essentially a non working laptop.

I can only presume that the graphics card has given up the ghost which unfortunately has put an end to my solo mining career. I really don't have the cash to buy any rigs/laptops/desktops etc.

The purpose of my message is simply to warn others if using a laptop that you COULD put your hardware at risk and kill your GPU if mining. Unfortunately this is also my works laptop so unless a miracle happens I will not be able to replace it.

Remember, if mining on hardware that is likely to be pushed, especially a laptop just beware as it seems it does in fact cause damage if you are unlucky.
Pages:
Jump to: