Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware of CoinBase - page 5. (Read 12484 times)

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007
June 13, 2015, 08:45:32 PM
So this is the price users have to pay for using their "regulated" exchange/wallet? Welcome to the "paypal" of bitcoin Smiley

CoinBase deserves credit for helping Bitcoin grow stronger in the "real-world". They have the right to decide how to deal with regulations and users have the right to use them or look for other options.

This. While regulation isn't something most of us like, the fact is that it's not something we're going to escape. Coinbase is doing what they need to survive long-term, rather than "punish" the government by ignoring them, only to crash and burn (along with prison time and complete loss of customer funds). I'd much rather be able to use them and know it's safe than to use them and wonder when the government's going to shut it down and take all my coins.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
June 13, 2015, 08:41:06 PM
CoinBase deserves credit for helping Bitcoin grow stronger in the "real-world".

That sure was some compelling, factual evidence you added with your opinion.  What exactly did they do? Become another financial regulation arm for the government? But I thought it wasn't a currency?
Activity: 952
Merit: 642
Magic
June 13, 2015, 06:47:10 PM
Everybody can track Bitcoin transactions thats the whole point of it, if you don't want them to use a Bitcoin Mixer or a Dark/Privatecoin. Also there isn't really a point in using them if you want privacy because it is not very complicate to use an normal wallet and they offer a very good FREE service for every other person who is just a casual user.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
June 13, 2015, 06:45:36 PM
I have a degree of 'trust' in Coinbase insofar as I don't think they will rip me off.  That mostly because I could at least make a credible stab at suing their asses off and they have deep-ish pockets complements of various angel investors and such.

Anyone who has been paying attention and who is modestly knowledgeable about things should have no surprises that they have their entire heads completely within the sphincter of the Feds.  It is entirely expected and I don't hold it against them at all.  In some ways it is actually why I chose to use them.

I predicted many times that the business model Coinbase is going for is to spy on schools of minnows and sell out to a bank or tech giant at the most opportune time.  Larger early-ish adopter types are a distinct liability for this reasons.  I've not done a transaction through them for a year, but even back then they were getting antsy.  And I'm hardly a big fish compared to genuine early adopters I don't imagine.  When they interrogated me I offered that they should have the technical prowess to validate that my BTC came from Tradehill.  That seemed to have gotten them off my back but I expect I'll be shut down if/when I do any more activity of any consequence.  I think I remember Greg Maxwell himself mentioning that they shut him down.  Amazing.  Probably one would have to be a big investor in their company to do any volume through them at this point.

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
June 13, 2015, 06:12:19 PM
CoinBase is legit by most U.S. members, including myself.  It's the pre-Summer pump on schedule as usual.

it is legitimate, but the issue here is that coinbase is tracking how users spend their funds, which completely contradicts the relatively anonymous part of using bitcoin.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
June 13, 2015, 05:47:22 PM
*BEWARE* OF "IGOT" www.igot.com... This exchange based in Australia, has extremely long delays with withdrawals and at this point myself and others believe that they are either scamming outright, or they are operating a Ponzi scheme. IGOT has held onto our money/coin for over 2 months.
The owner is Rick Day, along with Julie and Dan; they give every excuse know to mankind in order to justify stealing money from clients.
*BEWARE OF IGOT" www.igot.com
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
Never before 11 P.M.
June 13, 2015, 02:59:00 PM
CoinBase is legit by most U.S. members, including myself.  It's the pre-Summer pump on schedule as usual.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
۩۞۩ secondstrade.com ★
June 13, 2015, 02:36:27 PM
coinbase shitty wallet..promising to give 1$ as new registration bonus,but gave nothing..
really waste,phishing for emails...
Activity: 686
Merit: 255
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I AM A SCAMMER
May 12, 2015, 05:44:24 PM
COINBASE MURDERED MY FIRST BORN DAUGHTER! TO HELL WITH THEM!!!

It could have been worse. They could have raped her first. It least she died with a virgin hole. 

Too bad comparison Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007
May 01, 2015, 01:52:01 AM
Coinbase has always worked fine for me and never had any front-end issues with my bank over using Coinbase. The only downside is that it takes 5 biz days to get your coinage. Buying/selling coins doesn't come any easier.

I know...that's how it starts. I was happy with it too until the time they screwed up. And when they did, it was a reality check. They held onto it while the price dropped instead of cashing out when I sold. They gave me the run around and delayed it 3 weeks and that's when it really settled in, as long as it's on coinbase it's not really MY bitcoin.

I promise you this, it will happen to you, too before long. Just a matter of when.
It hasn't happened to me personally, but I've heard that people who have had that happen are still given the amount worth at the time they submitted it even if it is a few weeks late. Of course, that is no excuse for them to delay it at all, but as they are trying to comply with the law, they value safety quite a bit.
Activity: 84
۩۞۩ secondstrade.com ★
April 30, 2015, 06:17:54 PM
I've been using them for sometime, well at least for small amounts i keep on the web, any bigger volume i do/might get i store in paper wallet as those are probably safer (at least if i don't lose them...) Blockchain one seems more trustable but just the effort to move those get me tired.. so staying with them at least for now
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
April 30, 2015, 01:22:28 PM

It could have been worse. They could have raped her first. It least she died with a virgin hole. 
Activity: 560
Merit: 502
April 30, 2015, 03:30:08 AM
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010
April 30, 2015, 02:04:38 AM
Getting euros to pay for things through localbitcoins is "personal use" for me.

It is in my book as well tbh Smiley can't see anything wrong with that for the time being
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
April 28, 2015, 05:34:32 AM
Before starting with bitwage.co I used to convert every paycheck to bitcoins. That would be thousands of dollars per month. I also have used it for localbitcoins just because of the convenience of their QR scanner.

Looks like I'll have to move those few bitcoins I have on there to a mobile wallet.

Getting euros to pay for things through localbitcoins is "personal use" for me.
Activity: 686
Merit: 255
April 27, 2015, 06:55:39 PM
Coinbase notified me that they needed documents, and then immediately cancelled all of my transactions, which was $7000 worth. I find it ridiculous that they did that to me after all the business I've given them. They could have at least given me a chance to respond, I would have provided the documents they needed.

I've decided it is best not to buy large amounts of Bitcoin from Coinbase, so I've gone my separate ways.

Did they freeze your fund or just cancelled the transactions and returned them to you ?
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023
April 25, 2015, 11:20:07 PM
Never really had an issue with Coinbase, but I am becoming more and more concerned about using them. Ideally a more anonymous solution for buying/selling easily would be great.
Activity: 66
Live Free Or Die
April 25, 2015, 09:08:28 PM
Coinbase has always worked fine for me and never had any front-end issues with my bank over using Coinbase. The only downside is that it takes 5 biz days to get your coinage. Buying/selling coins doesn't come any easier.

I know...that's how it starts. I was happy with it too until the time they screwed up. And when they did, it was a reality check. They held onto it while the price dropped instead of cashing out when I sold. They gave me the run around and delayed it 3 weeks and that's when it really settled in, as long as it's on coinbase it's not really MY bitcoin.

I promise you this, it will happen to you, too before long. Just a matter of when.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
April 25, 2015, 09:05:19 PM
Not happy about the July 2015 policy changes on intellectual property so I broke up with PayPal for good.

What changes are they implementing in July 2015!? Policy changes regarding intellectual property sounds pretty strange, if you ask me. I only know about the cases where they ordered people to destroy their expensive violins because they were thought to be counterfeit merchandise.

Do what?? LOL please tell me that's snopes material and didn't actually happen.

https://www.paypal.com/va/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-future-paypal-changes-terms-service-take-content/
Pages:
Jump to: