Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware of this new scamming methods - page 3. (Read 368 times)

Activity: 2982
Merit: 678
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
October 22, 2023, 04:59:15 PM
They are upgrading and trying to reason out as much as they can so that their links will be clicked by whoever they are targeting which is on your case, the writers and community moderators.

I may not be into this niche like you guys do but this is helpful for those that are doing the same thing as yours and for that, I thank you for sharing this new scam method they do.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
October 22, 2023, 04:23:03 PM
I observed a growing trend whereby the administration and  moderators of various groups are the target of scammers. From WhatsApp to discord and even Telegram, the mods are always the primary target of scamners.

Thanks for sharing this important information here as I know a lot of people have learnt part of how to protect themselves from scammers. Personally, I rarely click on any link that seems suspicious.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
'Life's but a walking shadow'!
October 22, 2023, 04:14:11 PM
A scammer can try any sort of social engineering to make you click on their phishing link, so don't click on random links as we always say and once a stranger you're chatting with starts acting suspicious or in a way that feels too good to be true, it is better to discontinue the conversation and avoid chatting with such a person again.

You say you work as a community moderator for different projects, i hope you don't keep your assets on the same device you use for all these online stuffs, if you do; then move the majority of your funds offline, that is the first and most important step in protecting your funds from scammers.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
October 22, 2023, 03:51:51 PM
Managing a community on telegram or discord attracts lots of spammers and scammers. I mostly ignore personal messages after reading the first message and find it to be the same generic stuffs. The scammers probably pick up on these and get creative with their approach to get attention. Some ask questions about investing a significant amount and some try out what you experienced.

If you keep a cool had you'll notice all the tricks they try to pull.
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1650
Sugars.zone
October 22, 2023, 02:59:00 PM
Never occurred to me before, But thanks for the heads-up. Indeed, scammers are evolving their ways to scam. We have seen our fair share of ways in our lives, but each time we find something new has emerged.
Activity: 476
Merit: 212
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
October 22, 2023, 02:15:01 PM
A lot of our community members work as community moderators and copywriters on various crypto projects. I am working on a few projects as well and i have faced a new kind of technique recently used by scammers and hackers that i think needs to be shared with our community members who work in similar professions.

Recently one of my project where I am working as a community moderator a guy dropped a message in my inbox asking for permission to write an article about the project and they wouldn't charge anything for it. It is a free community so anyone can write anything about any project so I told him to work on it we don't have any problems. So he asked me a few questions about the project and i gave him the answer. At the end he told me that he wanted me to sign a contract so that there wouldn't be any copyright issues. This sudden change of tone makes me more skeptical, and i tried to look at the link he wanted me to click and found that it had a javascript written on it. I don't want to share the link here as it has phishing elements on it. I had a similar incident before which i shared in the forum, so my mind told me not to click that link.

This happened a few weeks ago but today i got a similar offer and the only difference is that this new guy wants to take an interview with me. I don't know why he needs to take my interview to write an article about a project that has its whitepaper and blog site that contain all the relevant project information. I am sharing this event with the forum to spread awareness among the newbies. Maybe some of you have already faced similar issues.

This is another incident that happened to me that i have shared on another topic.[Scammers are getting innovative.] You can read that as well and many of you might wonder why i am facing all this every time. I think it's because of my profession as a community moderator. A community moderator has most of the administrative access in the community server or channel, so he is the primary target of a hacker. Gaining access to a moderator account can give him control over the server which he can use to post phishing links. Similar incidents have happened with many projects recently. So guys beware of this as you can lose your job and your community altogether.
Pages:
Jump to: