Pages:
Author

Topic: [Beware]New scammer scheme using exchange - page 2. (Read 234 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
It seems that the scammers have developed a bit. Instead of creating a site with a balance and asking the user to deposit to withdraw the balance (the old trick), they are asking that you link your wallet to that site.

Newbies may fall into such scams because they think their coins are safe in their wallets, and some may write seeds on the site if asked to do so, so it will be easy to be scammed in this way.

MetaMask made things easier for beginners and scammers.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
Recently some random guy message me on telegram and ask me to help him withdraw his balance to avoid tax. He is claiming that the exchange ask him to do KYC and he is not comfortable with that. Then he showed me his balance as proof.
It is not a new scam scheme. It is an old one.

Let me reveal that years ago, many scammers did it already. They contacted me and told me that they got issues with accounts and want to get help to make a transaction like 0.1 BTC, then I will get reward from it (maybe 0.05 BTC or 0.1 BTC). I don't remember exact deals I were offered but it is something like that.

Offer details can be different but this scam scheme is the same and not new.

Very basic rule, if a stranger contacts you first, gives you any deal relates with money, it's scam.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
If you have already spent time proving that something is a scam, did you at least report that user?

https://twitter.com/telegram/status/1171880665412800512
This works only for groups and channel, not for individual users and from what I understand, OP was contacted by  a single user.

Telegram and Discord are the worst at this, with no options whatsoever on report. This needs to be changed.
I don't know about Discord, but there are two ways to report Telegram users: via https://telegram.org/support and https://t.me/notoscam. Problem is that it usually takes more reports from different people for scamer to get his account tagged so in majority of cases its just the waste of time.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Recently some random guy message me on telegram and ask me to help him withdraw his balance to avoid tax. He is claiming that the exchange ask him to do KYC and he is not comfortable with that. Then he showed me his balance as proof

I have no intention of communicating with unknown people via Telegram, although I have it and use it very rarely. The best defense against all possible scams via social networks and similar apps is to simply refuse any business offers, especially those that seem too good to be true.

I just want to know his process that’s why I continue entertaining him so that I can share it here to warn newbie for this kind of scam scheme.

If you have already spent time proving that something is a scam, did you at least report that user?

https://twitter.com/telegram/status/1171880665412800512
Activity: 1428
Merit: 931
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
It's disturbingly annoying to have so many scammers on cryptocurrency groups. Telegram and Discord are filled with them. On top of that, some are posing as group administrators and are trying to scam people who are asking for assistance within legit groups, such as Beefy's or the official WalletConnect group.

It honestly sickens me, it's almost impossible to be assisted in any kind of group without being contacted by a scammer.

Yeah. Especially since these scammers usually spam you numerous times, from many different accounts, and there's no real way to block them all.
What really needs to be changed there is, the reporting system for scammers. What I mean by that is, where it's actually possible to report a scammer and receive a response. Telegram and Discord are the worst at this, with no options whatsoever on report. This needs to be changed.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 758
It's disturbingly annoying to have so many scammers on cryptocurrency groups. Telegram and Discord are filled with them. On top of that, some are posing as group administrators and are trying to scam people who are asking for assistance within legit groups, such as Beefy's or the official WalletConnect group.

It honestly sickens me, it's almost impossible to be assisted in any kind of group without being contacted by a scammer.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 1228
Recently some random guy message me on telegram and ask me to help him withdraw his balance to avoid tax. He is claiming that the exchange ask him to do KYC and he is not comfortable with that. Then he showed me his balance as proof.

He never ask me to do KYC for him but instead he ask me to create an account on the exchange so that he can transfer the funds internally then I will withdraw the balance to his metamask and gives me percentage.(You see, this scammer is very clever for giving me all the favor and he didn’t ask for anything).

Here’s comes the magic trick, When you create an account on the exchange, There’s 2 method you can choose which is via email or via wallet connect, You will never gonna create successfully an account via email method and you will be forced to connect your wallet instead to create account which we all know that it will lead to exposing your private key.

I knew from the start that this is a scam since I don’t know the guy and we don’t have any group in common. Also he is comfortable to send me the balance while I don’t know him personally. I just want to know his process that’s why I continue entertaining him so that I can share it here to warn newbie for this kind of scam scheme.

Keep safe!

Scheme like that which they ask your private key in the end is quite rampant so its good to share since newbies could learn something new by using this scam technique. and peoppe should know that anything or anyone ask to connect your wallet or provide your private key is already a huge red flag so we need to stay away on this schemes.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 596
When life gets hard BUY Bitcoin!

He never ask me to do KYC for him but instead he ask me to create an account on the exchange so that he can transfer the funds internally then I will withdraw the balance to his metamask and gives me percentage.(You see, this scammer is very clever for giving me all the favor and he didn’t ask for anything).

Here’s comes the magic trick, When you create an account on the exchange, There’s 2 method you can choose which is via email or via wallet connect, You will never gonna create successfully an account via email method and you will be forced to connect your wallet instead to create account which we all know that it will lead to exposing your private key.

I knew from the start that this is a scam since I don’t know the guy and we don’t have any group in common. Also he is comfortable to send me the balance while I don’t know him personally. I just want to know his process that’s why I continue entertaining him so that I can share it here to warn newbie for this kind of scam scheme.

Keep safe!
Pages:
Jump to: