Pages:
Author

Topic: Bill Gates and Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 2388 times)

legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
January 30, 2015, 11:16:05 PM
There's zero reason for him to enrich a bunch of people who developed and hoard an existing product. He'll just start from scratch.

I'll keep an eye out in the Announcement category. 
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
January 30, 2015, 03:45:19 PM
There's zero reason for him to enrich a bunch of people who developed and hoard an existing product. He'll just start from scratch.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
The 4th industrial revolution!
January 30, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
Here we have a brief overview of what Bill Gates believes in regards to you guessed it, Bitcoin.

http://gyazo.com/976f1e94844e3013303951b1e914ae13

What digital currency is he using if he's not using bitcoin?

well ... Bill gates got a point on his point of view here , but I don't think he is using any other Cryptoo/Digital Currencies since basically all of them have a value that goes up and down and he is against that ... if I should choose I would say maybe Stellar ?
But he is totally right, poor people can't afford such a thing as Bitcoin since it's UP and sometimes Down ...

~ Madness

I don't see why anyone would pick stellar...?
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
January 30, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
I think he's more like hinting the inadequacies observed in bitcoin. He believes bitcoin or specifically the blockchain is the future of payment currency but something needs to be done to improve the system for it to become a world wide adoption.

I would agree with you here. It appears he wants the system to become more advanced and evolved.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
January 30, 2015, 08:11:54 AM
Is there a bigger poster boy for selling out? 
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
My goal is becaming a billionaire.
January 30, 2015, 07:42:36 AM
Here we have a brief overview of what Bill Gates believes in regards to you guessed it, Bitcoin.

What digital currency is he using if he's not using bitcoin?

well ... Bill gates got a point on his point of view here , but I don't think he is using any other Cryptoo/Digital Currencies since basically all of them have a value that goes up and down and he is against that ... if I should choose I would say maybe Stellar ?
But he is totally right, poor people can't afford such a thing as Bitcoin since it's UP and sometimes Down ...

~ Madness
Q7
Activity: 448
January 30, 2015, 07:36:24 AM
I think he's more like hinting the inadequacies observed in bitcoin. He believes bitcoin or specifically the blockchain is the future of payment currency but something needs to be done to improve the system for it to become a world wide adoption.
Activity: 518
January 29, 2015, 09:23:47 PM

The average guy living in a sewer in Equatorial Guinea isn't going to care too much about the future of economics.

He may not care about economics, but economics might be able to tell us why he's living in a sewer in the richest country in Africa.

Most people would want to give him money;  but all he needs is to be allowed to have money.  Real money that has real value.  Not something reversible, centrally controlled, and worth less every year.  That's part of the reason he's in the sewer.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
January 29, 2015, 09:13:42 PM
It'll have be a digital currency pegged to a state currency. I can't see how they'd get acceptable levels of volatility otherwise.

That's supposed to help poor people?  Give them money that is guaranteed to be worth less and less every year?

That is why everyone spends, saves nothing, and takes on massive amounts of debt - because the money is constantly losing value.  State currency is a hot potato, it's smart to get rid of it as fast as you can and leave someone else holding it.  It's always better to pay later, because the money will always be cheaper later.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that's how it's likely to be.

The average guy living in a sewer in Equatorial Guinea isn't going to care too much about the future of economics. He'll want easy access to money that he can receive, spend and send if he manages to get his hands on any.
January 29, 2015, 08:56:01 PM
It'll have be a digital currency pegged to a state currency. I can't see how they'd get acceptable levels of volatility otherwise.

That's supposed to help poor people?  Give them money that is guaranteed to be worth less and less every year?

That is why everyone spends, saves nothing, and takes on massive amounts of debt - because the money is constantly losing value.  State currency is a hot potato, it's smart to get rid of it as fast as you can and leave someone else holding it.  It's always better to pay later, because the money will always be cheaper later.

Activity: 504
January 29, 2015, 08:52:25 PM
Bill Gates has mentioned Ripple before, and he's full of shit.

Poor people can benefit from Bitcoin just as much as anyone.

As for reversible transactions, that is what gives other people power to control our money.  If you give a bank, or Paypal, or anyone else the ability to reverse transactions, then they become a court that decides who is right and who is wrong in a dispute between private parties.  

I think I heard Andreas Antonopoulos say that blockchain transactions could allow people to do trusted transactions with each other in the future that allows returning money if certain conditions aren't met. People could do what they normally do with Bitcoin, with it not being reversible, but since it's open, there could be ways to enter into trusted agreements that would refund if you wanted to. If I understood him correctly, at least.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
January 29, 2015, 08:51:37 PM

I like the fact about the price variation for the poor. But if he cares about the terrorist part, then probably his new currency will not be anonymous.
January 29, 2015, 08:50:43 PM

As for reversible transactions, that is what gives other people power to control our money.  If you give a bank, or Paypal, or anyone else the ability to reverse transactions, then they become a court that decides who is right and who is wrong in a dispute between private parties.  

You're right, but ripple doesn't give anyone that ability.  Now, gateways that "want to" and "declare it" can freeze their IOU's that you have.  But NO ONE can do anything about your XRP's...
January 29, 2015, 08:47:41 PM
Maybe he'll create a new crypto Tongue lol

Yea, if he had the drive that he had in the 80's and 90's he would be knocking competitor altcoins to 0 right now lol
January 29, 2015, 08:47:31 PM

Activity: 308
( -_・)ノ-=≡[$(∞)$]
January 29, 2015, 08:45:22 PM
Maybe he'll create a new crypto Tongue lol
January 29, 2015, 08:42:29 PM

If that is the case then it might not address a few root problems but solves enough for the average poor person. They'll just want wider access to trade and money.

Well that's the thing...ripple has essentially made all coins in the world digital with their IOU process.  So he could transfer USD or whatever to his India Gates Foundation Center, then they can convert to whatever currency they want, all costing like 0.03 XRP, so fractions of a cent in the matter of seconds.

But getting it off the ripple network will cost more.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
January 29, 2015, 08:42:12 PM
The poorest american still has PS3's and Flatscreen HD tv's.. my point they have enough money to hold a $100-$200 balance.

Where'd you hear that? We do have homeless people in the US.

But I still believe bitcoin is great for the poor, if only for the fact that those without bank accounts, can still receive bitcoins for pay, and can still use the bitcoins to buy things. Banks have their problems, especially charging more and more fees and requiring you to have a balance when starting an account. Bitcoin gets rid of all that mess.

Bitcoin is still great for the poor. No bank account needed as you mentioned. Also, they can buy anything they want with bitcoin as they would do with fiat.
Activity: 504
January 29, 2015, 08:38:19 PM
The poorest american still has PS3's and Flatscreen HD tv's.. my point they have enough money to hold a $100-$200 balance.

Where'd you hear that? We do have homeless people in the US.

But I still believe bitcoin is great for the poor, if only for the fact that those without bank accounts, can still receive bitcoins for pay, and can still use the bitcoins to buy things. Banks have their problems, especially charging more and more fees and requiring you to have a balance when starting an account. Bitcoin gets rid of all that mess.
January 29, 2015, 08:37:16 PM
Ripple??

I think its possible he may be referring to ripple.

Ok, I heard other people say this as well.  However, per Ripple Charts, I just don't see any movement in new money coming in besides JPY.
 So he is putting a few hundred dollars on the ripple network or what?  

He is worth like $80 billion and the Gates Foundation is worth like $30 billion. And has already donated like $30 billion.  Plus he is very serious about Africa and India, I don't see any gateways currently running for him to transfer value from the U.S. to these countries as of now.

Pages:
Jump to: