Pages:
Author

Topic: Billionaire Mike Novogratz says he has 10% of his money in Bitcoin and Ether - page 3. (Read 2889 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Anyone with a decent amount of money would be crazy not to invest in crypto.
Even if it was just a few percent of your total investments, the potential upside is too big to be ignored.
If you are going to gamble on the stock market etc you might as well gamble on magic internet money as well.
Activity: 1918
Merit: 564
this is actually bad news in my opinion. because it simply means that we have a big whale that can easily top with bitcoin price. 10% of a Billionaire's money means a lot of bitcoin and it is ridiculous since it was bought while it was less than half the current price.

although i should add that this article is another one of Ethereum's guy's tactics to advertise their coin. like the time they published a fake news about hackers hacking Apple and demanding they pay them in ether.

It would be great to see billionaires investing in Bitcoin, they move rather really planned than those who invested to Bitcoin for quick profit (these are the people who crash the market.   Having people like them, is quite reassuring because they definitely do not want their millions to go to waste.  Rather they will actively promote their investment to increase the value of their holdings, thus a good thing for us since our holdings will increase in price too.
X7
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
Interesting, wall street money is making its way in.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
You would be stupid to ignore Bitcoin as a investment, if you consider that Bitcoin was the best performing "currency/commodity" in 2016 and the

best performing "currency" in 2015. Some of these investors will not admit it, but they too are heavily invested in Crypto Currencies. How do you

explain the volume on Gemini.  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010
ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀
I feel there are lots of rich people who have invested in bitcoins and other altcoins but will not openly support them because of many reasons, government policies, their company shareholders, the risk of Bitcoin market.
I don't think they'll ever say it openly but they all know that Bitcoin has good future.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016
~snip

Just to add on the previous remarks above...

I feel none have understood the meaning of "being a billionaire" or Net Worth.
Net worth is the cumulative value of all your possessions, houses, investments or stocks...

Liquidity is a radically different concept... billionaires, as very few at all, have anything more than a few million in the bank. No one keeps huge amounts of cash un-invested.

When the guy says "10% of his money is in bitcoin" he means 10% of his liquidity is in bitcoin, not 10% of his worth is constituted by his bitcoin possessions' value

He actually said "Ten percent of my net worth is in this space". That's a huge amount of money if he has $1 billion or more. Who knows if he is telling the truth though.

Not sure if he still is a billionaire. As far as I know that guy made his money during the financial crash in 2008 and later got fired.
Furthermore I doubt he has made that much with his crypto investment so far. Maybe Vitalik gave him some discount or so. And now it seems to me he is doing some shilling because he is looking for new money coming in so his gains will increase.
This is no critiques by the way. Big guys joining crypto, especially Bitcoin is always a good thing, if they plan to invest for some time and not speculate for some short quick profit.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 501
It's great to see billionaire acknowledge bitcoin and other cryptocurrency even only as investment and i think there are many rich people who secretly invest/have bitcoin/other cryptocurrency to keep their investment save since cryptocurrency transaction can't be reversed/canceled Smiley

I just hope those billionaire won't try to manipulate bitcoin market/price.

Well, this is the problem.

This billionaire has made his millions while betting on prices changes and I'm pretty damn sure he has done a lot of manipulation with his fellow GS friends.
And now you're asking the wolf to change his diet just because he works has a wool factory.

I would be a lot happier to see that there are 1 000 millionaires each investing 10% in bitcoins rather than one billionaire doing the same.

In fact, these people with so much money who usually earn so much investing or in the stock market, do not earn that money because they are very smart and know where to invest but because they are people who have the power to manipulate the price at will for profit. This happens a lot with buying countries debt for example.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
It's great to see billionaire acknowledge bitcoin and other cryptocurrency even only as investment and i think there are many rich people who secretly invest/have bitcoin/other cryptocurrency to keep their investment save since cryptocurrency transaction can't be reversed/canceled Smiley

Well, this is the problem.

This billionaire has made his millions while betting on prices changes and I'm pretty damn sure he has done a lot of manipulation with his fellow GS friends.
And now you're asking the wolf to change his diet just because he works has a wool factory.

I would be a lot happier to see that there are 1 000 millionaires each investing 10% in bitcoins rather than one billionaire doing the same.

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
Billionaire investor Mike Novogratz is betting big on digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ether.

"Ten percent of my net worth is in this space," Novogratz said at a forum held at the Harvard Business School Club of New York Wednesday. He declined to say exactly how wealthy he is, but he's a former hedge fund manager at Fortress Investment Group and a Goldman Sachs partner who made the Forbes billionaire list in 2008.
It's the "best investment of my life," Novogratz said.

Bitcoin was worth under $500 a year ago. Today the digital currency trades at over $1,200. Back in 2013, Novogratz predicted Bitcoin's value would soar. He remembers people laughing at him at the time.

Since then, Bitcoin's price has been on a wild run. It surged to nearly $1,000 in late 2013 and then fell to under $250 in 2015. It started to fly again last year, around the time of the Brexit vote. It surpassed $1,000 in January of this year again and has kept climbing.
Now Novogratz is saying Bitcoin will go to $2,000.

But he also warned the Harvard Business School Club crowd that there will "likely be a bubble" in digital currencies. The best way to handle it, he argues, is the old Wall Street trick of diversification. Put a little money in a lot of different plays in digital currency.

For example, Novogratz was also an early investor in Ether. It's another digital currency that has quickly emerged as the No. 2 rival to Bitcoin. Novogratz says he bought Ether when it was trading for about $1. Today it's worth over $48.

Novogratz met Vitalik Buterin, the young Russian brainchild behind Ether at a dinner party at a prominent CEO's home. He recalls that Buterin, then 21, showed up late, which struck him as shocking -- and a bit ballsy. He figured it was worth paying attention to Buterin.

Ether is a currency with a "smart contract" function that gives users additional security and abilities to transfer information in addition to monetary value.
We're witnessing the "3rd inning" of this digital asset revolution, Novogratz predicts. He's not exactly sure how it will play out, but he plans to continue investing in digital currencies and Blockchain, the revolutionary technology behind the scenes that makes Bitcoin work.

Blockchain is literally a digital ledger to record and track transactions. What makes it so technologically advanced is that multiple companies or parties can access the Blockchain and see the history of what happened to an asset.

Novogratz has emerged as one of the biggest Wall Street cheerleaders of Blockchain, but his bets haven't always gone so well. He exited Fortress in 2015 after the company shut down his Marco Fund for poor performance. It lost around 20% in its final year after his investments in emerging markets, especially Brazil, tanked.

"We have had an extremely challenging two years, and I do not believe the current environment is conducive to achieving our best results," Novogratz said at the time.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/20/investing/mike-novogratz-bets-big-on-bitcoin-ether-blockchain/index.html

That's one confirmed billionaire betting big on crypto.

I wonder how many others there are who aren't publicly invested yet have a lot riding on btc.

Frankly not surprised that billioners are betting big on crypto currency but what I am surprised is that they are coming out in open, normally they would be hidden but this time openly coming and saying that's one very big positive for the Bitcoin community. I am very sure there are many who will be doing it and they will be surely be coming out in open as they continue to rise with the glory of Bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
Activity: 770
Merit: 629
That's one confirmed billionaire betting big on crypto.

I wonder how many others there are who aren't publicly invested yet have a lot riding on btc.

Well, that's $100 million in the hands of one guy.  If there are 200 of him around, all of bitcoin is in the hands of a few billionaires, so it must be less than 200.
Activity: 232
Merit: 100
Very clever move from his side, and this proves the fact that while others laughed since him, he invested, and earned money.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
Sorry to say it but there are a few guys I would prefer not to see investing in bitcoins.
And guys that have connections to GS are on that list.

Of course there is nothing you can do about it, and it's just my opinion.
But hell I'm comfortable with a trader involved in shady businesses owning 100 or so worth of bitcoins at current prices.
Which would be 100 000 btc if i'm right.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
this is actually bad news in my opinion. because it simply means that we have a big whale that can easily top with bitcoin price. 10% of a Billionaire's money means a lot of bitcoin and it is ridiculous since it was bought while it was less than half the current price.

although i should add that this article is another one of Ethereum's guy's tactics to advertise their coin. like the time they published a fake news about hackers hacking Apple and demanding they pay them in ether.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
Litecoin hovered around $3 for a long time.

Maybe it is possible to tell when whales decided to pump LTC up to $14.

I'm glad these guys are on our side.

Cheesy
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
Bazinga!
there is no doubt that there are so many rich people (millionaires or more) are supporting ethereum, we have all seen the pumps and how they throw their money in, when the dumping time comes. you can't hide these things.

but bitcoin, i don't think so. because a billionaire is looking for a big profit and the pump of ethereum that they can control gives them that that is the whole reason of controlling 75 million coins yourself!!! but with bitcoin they will just be a moderate size whale because of the distribution of bitcoin.
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
Mike Novogratz has 10% of his net worth invested in Bitcoin and Ethereum.

"Let's calculate, mmmkay."

A = Mike Novogratz's net worth at $1B+

$1B+ X .10 = $100M+

B = Current market cap of ALL altcoins = $29.5M+

A > B by a magnitude of? (you do the math)

Q.E.D.
Oh no, someone can't read numbers right.  I think you'll find it's 29.5 billion, not 29.5 million.

Bitcoin's market cap being worth less than 100 million dollars would mean it was practically worthless on a global level, which it's not.  You should check your own maths very carefully before you get too arrogant.

Dude, I did check my math prior to publishing. I just didn't double- or triple-check the math is all. I'm such a Lugan!  Shocked
Activity: 1008
Merit: 510
~snip

Just to add on the previous remarks above...

I feel none have understood the meaning of "being a billionaire" or Net Worth.
Net worth is the cumulative value of all your possessions, houses, investments or stocks...

Liquidity is a radically different concept... billionaires, as very few at all, have anything more than a few million in the bank. No one keeps huge amounts of cash un-invested.

When the guy says "10% of his money is in bitcoin" he means 10% of his liquidity is in bitcoin, not 10% of his worth is constituted by his bitcoin possessions' value

He actually said "Ten percent of my net worth is in this space". That's a huge amount of money if he has $1 billion or more. Who knows if he is telling the truth though.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
I guess it's a good thing to know that a billionaire trust his money to btc, and invest on it. It makes feel more sure about it, and use it even more Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
For a billionaire, if he is really one, it's a good experience to adopt crypto currencies and see what happens.

most of these billionaires, especially tech ones, will only be billionaires on paper. most of their 'wealth' will be tied up in stock and unicorns. funnily enough if they tried to turn it into hard cash they'd destroy the price just the same as crypto.
Pages:
Jump to: