Pages:
Author

Topic: Billionaires hate Bitcoin. - page 3. (Read 17077 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
November 30, 2012, 02:04:32 AM
Why would they want to invest in something that could end their hold on cheap debt and a controllable monetary supply?

It would just be eliminating their power.

If bitcoins could render the fortune of a billionaire worthless, then don't you think they would want bitcoins? You don't become a billionaire by resenting change, rather by embracing it at the right moments.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
November 29, 2012, 04:47:20 PM
Here in Poland we were all billionaries in early 90s - when inflation was insane and prices were going sky high. I'm sure we'd love to have bitcoin in early 90s...

And this is partially my motivation for BTC. I'm not going to stand aside and let this sh**t happen again.

[EDIT]
Interesting table:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/The_Hanke_Krus_Hyperinflation_Table.pdf

what is strucking, that most cases happened in 90s and almost all in XX or XXI century.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
November 29, 2012, 12:22:36 PM
If the some day I'll get to be a billionaire I'll invest in Bitcoins.
The thing is, if I do get to be a billionaire, it will be due to Bitcoins. No.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
November 29, 2012, 11:48:49 AM
Some millionaires work hard for their money and will probably understand Bitcoin. Most billionaires got rich on government welfare and don't understand the value of money. Since Bitcoin has no government teet for them to suck on, they won't be interested.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks
November 29, 2012, 03:00:18 AM
i sent an article to my close minded millionaire brother in law about bitcoin. he only responded with negative comments. "too much theory" "i dont see the value in it". he wasnt happy to talk about it and didnt understand it, at all.

i brought it up to another millionaire (soon to be billionaire) that i know, 2 times. This guy understands how the world financial ponzi works and is very awake. he understands the basics of bitcoin, but i dont think he spent much time thinking about it. In a brief discussion we had, he said "it wont work because the usd is still the reserve currency. So even if other countrys adopt btc it wont matter because everything is priced in usd." he likes gold and silver for the future. also he said when "btc starts to pick up speed the us government will clamp down on it one way or another."

most of these rich fuckers are older guys who dont understand technology like us on this forum. they know best how to sell, ideas, themselves and they know how to manipulate people. bitcoin threatens to undermine their pile of government cash, and even the whole political structure their money on.

we cant let these rich fuckers hold back society and civilization.

You're right, these same rich fuckers don't necessarily have to know more than one way to strike it rich. For instance, nobody could have told you for sure what was going to happen with Apple. Some took a chance and most didn't. We see what kind of numbers the ones who took a chance experienced, while the others like me and everyone I know have made $0 off of the Apple stock. I'm not missing out on Bitcoin! Just sayin'
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
November 29, 2012, 12:41:53 AM
i sent an article to my close minded millionaire brother in law about bitcoin. he only responded with negative comments. "too much theory" "i dont see the value in it". he wasnt happy to talk about it and didnt understand it, at all.

i brought it up to another millionaire (soon to be billionaire) that i know, 2 times. This guy understands how the world financial ponzi works and is very awake. he understands the basics of bitcoin, but i dont think he spent much time thinking about it. In a brief discussion we had, he said "it wont work because the usd is still the reserve currency. So even if other countrys adopt btc it wont matter because everything is priced in usd." he likes gold and silver for the future. also he said when "btc starts to pick up speed the us government will clamp down on it one way or another."

most of these rich fuckers are older guys who dont understand technology like us on this forum. they know best how to sell, ideas, themselves and they know how to manipulate people. bitcoin threatens to undermine their pile of government cash, and even the whole political structure their money on.

we cant let these rich fuckers hold back society and civilization.
Activity: 358
October 07, 2012, 01:39:46 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that you think billionaires have even heard of BTC?
legendary
Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001
October 07, 2012, 05:55:10 AM
I would say it depends on how smart and well-informed they are.

The uninformed ones don't care.
The smart and informed ones should like Bitcoin.
The smart, really well-informed and power-hungry ones - I agree - should hate Bitcoin.
October 07, 2012, 04:17:49 AM
If the bitcoin economy ever reaches billions I'm sure there will be some billionaires participating Wink
Activity: 336
October 06, 2012, 09:49:38 PM
I would have thought billionaires would love BTC - seeing its anonymous and they can deny it in their tax statements Tongue
October 05, 2012, 11:32:19 PM
Tax Evaders like BitCoin

Billionaires like Tax Evasion

Billionaires like BitCoin

I like tax evasion, so I guess that makes me a billionaire too.  Grin.

Everybody likes tax evasion. He didn't say ONLY billionaires like it
Activity: 21
October 05, 2012, 10:23:59 PM
Tax Evaders like BitCoin

I like tax evasion, so I guess that makes me a billionaire too.  Grin.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
October 04, 2012, 09:56:25 AM
I'm not a billionaire (not even close) but if I were, with what I know about bitcoin, I'd buy maybe a couple hundred thousand coins and see what happens. I'd probably start with a few thousand coins.
Activity: 49
October 04, 2012, 12:21:53 AM
Tax Evaders like BitCoin

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
October 04, 2012, 12:09:31 AM
Look at all the oblivious fools arguing market rhetoric.

Billionaires have billions because bankers can cheat. Bitcoins end cheating. QED. Cheating billionaires hate people having bitcoins.

It took me just fifteen minutes of listening to Bill Gates on Charlie Rose to confirm that billionaires don't and won't like BItcoin.

Mr. Gates throws around a lot of "we did this" type of statements, and what he really means is "we used our power and influence to get governments to do this".  I'm not saying the accomplishments were bad, but anything that lessen's a billionaire's influence will not be something the billionaires will support.

Fortunately Bitcoin isn't most valuable by gaining support of the relatively few billionaires but instead it is most valuable by gaining support of the billions (of people on the planet).

Here's the June 2012 interview:
 - http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12436

At about 0:10:20 into the video:

Charlie Rose: [In India] How much corruption?

Bill Gates: Well there's always going to be some corruption.  You want to design systems that make it harder for there to be corruption.  Where you can really trace the money down to the recipient of that money.  It's partly why we'd like to get digital currencies on cellphones so you don't have as much where somebody else can collect it along the way.

Charlie Rose: You'ld like to get that done.  What is necessary for that to happen?

Bill Gates: The cellphones are now getting powerful enough.  The government has to set some standards.   There's a lot of energy being put into this in India.  It has happened only in Kenya.  It's the only developing country that has this digital currency.  And now that India sees that it has happened in one place they are trying to clear out the regulations and get it going?

Charlie Rose: And how does it work in Kenya?

Bill Gates: You can actually use your cellphone and send money to other people, like a relative that is out in the rural area or if you go into a store and buy something you can just do that on your cellphone.

Charlie Rose: And they take their cellphone in to do things buy products or whatever.

Bill Gates: Exactly. It makes all these financial issues -- the fees to move money around, to have loans of various types, it makes it a lot simpler when you aren't having to handle paper currency.

A few takeaways from that:

1.) For government spending where there is the need for transparency, there's no reason why triple-entry accounting shouldn't be mandatory.    Most of that can be done today, without the need for Bitcoin even.

2.) Mr. Gates might want to have someone explain to him the difference between a "digital currency" and "mobile banking", "electronic currency", "representative money", etc.

3.) ill Gates once said in an interview that he reads every page of The Economist.  If he still does, then he'ld know that it is not just Kenya where mobile banking and mobile payments are widely used:

- http://www.economist.com/node/21553510

Mr. Gates has a very specific view on where innovation originates.  He is impressed with the level of research occurring from the top universities in China.  He talks about problems being solved after "lots of IQ" (and, presumably, money paying those salaries) are expended on certain problems.  

That map from the Economist article was recently used in another article which described "reverse innovation".  Reverse innovation is progress that occurs in the trenches -- in the developing world which the combination of local smarts apply technology and create new solutions to their problems that weren't introduced from the "top research" centers.   There's another term for "reserve innovation" --  free market competition.  When markets are free, the best solutions are sometimes discovered locally where the problems are most acute -- and not alwys designed in some office by some well-funded company thousands of miles away.

The local market in Kenya determined that mobile payments which allowed the transfer of value (mobile airtime credits) via SMS texting on feature phones worked fairly well when free of regulations (M-PESA didn't have to follow the same AML/KYC as banks in the country did.)

[Edited: Inserted a new point #2]
legendary
Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000
June 15, 2012, 02:08:22 PM
How about people that have become billionaires because of bitcoins?
donator
June 09, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
Billionaries are going to hate bitcoin, since it is impossible to own billion bitcoins  Grin

Lol yeah.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I don't think they hate bitcoin because they probably don't know about them Tongue
Then before long they will be Zimbabwe Bazillionaires!
Activity: 42
June 09, 2012, 11:04:24 AM
Billionaries are going to hate bitcoin, since it is impossible to own billion bitcoins  Grin

Lol yeah.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I don't think they hate bitcoin because they probably don't know about them Tongue
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
June 05, 2012, 05:33:37 PM
How does sending $4 of cash to hong kong have to do with billionaires?  Even as a poor person, I'm not stupid enough to make small-ticket purchases overseas.

One might ask the same question about 100k worth of FDIC insurance for a billionaire...?

private insurance for large financial transactions is not cheap.
donator
June 05, 2012, 05:27:41 AM
A billionaire would try out bitcoins. He would buy maybe a few hundred thousand dollars or maybe even a million dollars worth of BTC, such as 190,000.00000001 BTC. Just for fun.

When he sees that it used to sell for $4 and now it sells for $6, he'd either get excited about the 50% increase, or he'd get bored and cash out since his other business ventures make more money both in absolute amount and in relative percentages.
Yeah, billionaires will totally whine about how the "early adopters" who got bitcoin at $0.01 are rich now and bitcoin can go nowhere now but down in price.  Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: