Pages:
Author

Topic: BIP 17 - page 6. (Read 9151 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
January 20, 2012, 02:19:01 PM
I haven't seen discussion of BIP 17 anywhere besides IRC, so I thought I'd start one.
I was waiting until I finished a reference implementation to post about it, but thanks for the early review. Smiley

I'll start by saying that I'm trying hard to put aside my biases and dispassionately evaluating the proposal on its merits (I'll just say that I'm not happy with the way BIP 17 came to be, but it is what it is).
Thanks, and sorry for not being more tactful with introducing it.

Old clients and miners count each OP_CHECKMULTISIG in a scriptSig or scriptPubKey as 20 "signature operations (sigops)."  And there is a maximum of 20,000 sigops per block.  That means a maximum of 1,000 BIP-17-style multisig inputs per block.  BIP 16 "hides" the CHECKMULTISIGs from old clients, and (for example) counts a 2-of-2 CHECKMULTISIG as 2 sigops instead of 20. Increasing the MAX_SIGOPS limit would require a 'hard' blockchain split; BIP 16 gives 5-10 times more room for transaction growth than BIP 17 before bumping into block limits.
This is indeed a benefit to the evaluation-based solutions (both OP_EVAL and BIP16), but I personally feel it's not needed nearly as urgently (how many blocks have over 1000 txns of any kind so far?) and there are many other such hidden-from-old-versions improvements that could be thrown in. BIP 17 does not preclude adding such a solution (ideally without the crucial flaws in BIP 16) in the future should it become necessary, after people have had more time to figure out just what should be added and implement them (for example, I think everyone agrees it would be nice to provide pubkey extraction from signatures).

With BIP 17, both transaction outputs and inputs fail the old IsStandard() check, so old clients and miners will refuse to relay or mine both transactions that send coins into a multisignature transaction and transactions that spend multisignature transactions.  BIP 16 scriptSigs look like standard scriptSigs to old clients and miners. The practical effect is as long as less than 100% of the network is upgraded it will take longer for BIP 17 transactions to get confirmed compared to BIP 16 transactions.
Since scriptSigs must always follow scriptPubKey, does this really make a big difference? ie, if people can't send them, they can't receive them anyway.

Old clients and miners will immediately accept ANY scriptSig for BIP 17 transactions as valid. That makes me nervous; if anybody messes up and sends coins into a BIP 17 transaction before 50% of hashing power supports it anybody can claim that output. An advantage of BIP 16 is the "half-validation" of transactions; old clients and miners will check the hash in the scriptPubKey.
Old clients don't know how to receive any P2SH transactions right now, so they won't display them in any circumstance.. Old miners won't accept them because they fail IsStandard. There is a slight risk of producing a block stealing BIP 17 funds and resending them immediately, but the same attack vector also affects the other solutions and has no effect on people who follow the best practices of waiting for 6 confirmations.

OP_CHECKSIG feels like it was originally designed to be in the scriptPubKey-- "scriptSig is for signatures." Although I can't see any way to exploit an OP_CHECKSIG that appears in the scriptSig instead of the scriptPubKey, I'm much less confident that I might have missed something.  I'm much more confident that BIP 16 will do exactly what I think it will (because it is much more constrained, and executes the CHECKSIG exactly as if it appeared directly in the scriptPubKey).
It's evaluated the exact same way in all 3 scripts, and already accepted in scriptPubKey. If there is an attack vector here (which seems very unlikely), it is there both with or without BIP 17.

I've never liked OP_CODESEPARATOR-- it is not like the other opcodes, the way it isn't affected at all by OP_IF
Isn't it?

and the way it 'steps out' and causes the raw bytes of the transaction to be hashed.
This is only true when BIP 17 is in use. Why is it a problem to hash the script executed, as opposed to execute the script hashed?
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
January 20, 2012, 01:06:39 PM
Gavin's signature:

Help me out:
Ask your favorite miner or mining pool operator to support P2SH for a more secure Bitcoin
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
January 20, 2012, 12:53:31 PM
I haven't seen discussion of BIP 17 anywhere besides IRC, so I thought I'd start one.

I'll start by saying that I'm trying hard to put aside my biases and dispassionately evaluating the proposal on its merits (I'll just say that I'm not happy with the way BIP 17 came to be, but it is what it is).

Quick executive summary of BIP 17:

A new opcode is proposed, OP_CODEHASHVERIFY, that replaces OP_NOP2.

It is used in a new "standard" scriptPubKey that looks like:

Code:
 OP_CODEHASHVERIFY OP_POP

... which is redeemed using a scriptSig like (for example, a 2-of-2 CHECKMULTISIG):

Code:
OP_0  OP_CODESEPARATOR 2   2 OP_CHECKMULTISIG

OP_CODEHASHVERIFY is defined to take the hash of everything in the scriptSig from the last OP_CODESEPARATOR and compare it to the top item on the stack. If the hashes match, then it is a no-op, otherwise script validation fails. (see the spec for all the details for what happens if there is no CODESEPARATOR or a CODEHASHVERIFY is put in the scriptSig)

BIP 17 is an alternative to BIP 16, which has a scriptPubKey:

Code:
OP_HASH160  OP_EQUAL

... which is redeemed with:

Code:
OP_0  OP_PUSHDATA(2   2 OP_CHECKMULTISIG)

I see the appeal of BIP 17 -- the redeeming opcodes aren't "hidden" as serialized bytes, they're right there in the scriptSig. That feels less like a hack.

However, there are a couple of practical reasons I like BIP 16 better:

• Old clients and miners count each OP_CHECKMULTISIG in a scriptSig or scriptPubKey as 20 "signature operations (sigops)."  And there is a maximum of 20,000 sigops per block.  That means a maximum of 1,000 BIP-17-style multisig inputs per block.  BIP 16 "hides" the CHECKMULTISIGs from old clients, and (for example) counts a 2-of-2 CHECKMULTISIG as 2 sigops instead of 20. Increasing the MAX_SIGOPS limit would require a 'hard' blockchain split; BIP 16 gives 5-10 times more room for transaction growth than BIP 17 before bumping into block limits.
  • With BIP 17, both transaction outputs and inputs fail the old IsStandard() check, so old clients and miners will refuse to relay or mine both transactions that send coins into a multisignature transaction and transactions that spend multisignature transactions.  BIP 16 scriptSigs look like standard scriptSigs to old clients and miners. The practical effect is as long as less than 100% of the network is upgraded it will take longer for BIP 17 transactions to get confirmed compared to BIP 16 transactions.
  • Old clients and miners will immediately accept ANY scriptSig for BIP 17 transactions as valid. That makes me nervous; if anybody messes up and sends coins into a BIP 17 transaction before 50% of hashing power supports it anybody can claim that output. An advantage of BIP 16 is the "half-validation" of transactions; old clients and miners will check the hash in the scriptPubKey.

I also have some theoretical, "just makes me feel uncomfortable" reasons for disliking BIP 17:

• OP_CHECKSIG feels like it was originally designed to be in the scriptPubKey-- "scriptSig is for signatures." Although I can't see any way to exploit an OP_CHECKSIG that appears in the scriptSig instead of the scriptPubKey, I'm much less confident that I might have missed something.  I'm much more confident that BIP 16 will do exactly what I think it will (because it is much more constrained, and executes the CHECKSIG exactly as if it appeared directly in the scriptPubKey).
  • Changing from the scriptSig being just "push data onto the stack" to "do the bulk of verification" also makes me nervous, especially since nodes that relay transactions can add whatever they like to the beginning of the scriptSig before relaying the transaction. Again, I can't think of any way of leveraging that into an exploit, but the added complexity of code in the scriptSig and requiring OP_CODESEPARATORs in the right place makes me nervous.
  • I've never liked OP_CODESEPARATOR-- it is not like the other opcodes, the way it isn't affected at all by OP_IF and the way it 'steps out' and causes the raw bytes of the transaction to be hashed.  Nobody has been able to figure out how to use it, and the best guess is it is like your appendix:  maybe useful in the past, but not useful now.  Safer to get rid of it entirely, in my opinion.

Pages:
Jump to: