Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitaddress.org bug?? private key mismatch - page 2. (Read 2265 times)

legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
November 25, 2014, 07:28:19 PM
Further to DannyHamilton's response, I too wonder if it is a case of an isolated incident.

Have you tried to create more paper wallets since? Did you observe the same problem?

Could you not share any details on the keys seeing as you will presumably not be using it?

The change log doesn't show any updates since April, so if there is a bug then it will have been around for a while. I would have expected to hear more reports into this.

Good job that you checked though - think that it is good practice to check things and then check again before going ahead with it when it comes to crypto.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
November 25, 2014, 07:10:27 PM
Nice thread.

Thanks to know all these.
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303
November 25, 2014, 03:41:19 PM
If you want more insight, it would be useful to post both the keys you are discussing AFTER, and only AFTER, you have moved any coins, had a good number of confirmations and made sure you aren't sending any coins there.

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
November 25, 2014, 02:42:08 PM
If true this could be devastating, because Bitaddress is used to such a great extent. It also may have gone unnoticed for a long time, because the main use of this service is cold storage.

I'm no JavaScript expert. But could it be caused by a malicious script injection?

(Posting here to remind me.)

ya.ya.yo!

Activity: 623
November 25, 2014, 02:00:09 PM
Wow, that's really strange i made one last month from their. Why don't you report this bug/issue to them - maybe they dig deep in it
and tell ya what's the mess up is about.
I'm on it  Wink
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
November 25, 2014, 01:53:37 PM
Wow, that's really strange i made one last month from their. Why don't you report this bug/issue to them - maybe they dig deep in it
and tell ya what's the mess up is about.
November 25, 2014, 01:41:54 PM
Although it might be possible that there is a bug in bitaddress.org, it is far more likely that you have malware on your computer that changed the bitcoin address. Or that you simply made a mistake and that the address that bitaddress.org generated is not the address that you looked up.
No, I checked it multiple times. I also extracted the public key from the private key (via Armory) and it results in a different public address. Malware, well, in these days of APT's you never know but normally my machine should be clean.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
November 25, 2014, 12:18:08 PM
Although it might be possible that there is a bug in bitaddress.org, it is far more likely that you have malware on your computer that changed the bitcoin address. Or that you simply made a mistake and that the address that bitaddress.org generated is not the address that you looked up.
November 25, 2014, 11:41:04 AM
Hi all,

When using the paper wallet via bitaddress.org, I advice you to check the public address first in blockchain.info.

Reason: I created a new paper wallet, then checked the pub address and there is 1 BTC on it! Strangely enough, the corresponding private key didn't match!! This means that you better always  double check the private key before sending funds to your paper wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: