Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin adoption rising in NGO sector: Report - page 3. (Read 516 times)

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753
see

https://decrypt.co/9966/bitcoin-cryptocurrency-adoption-ngo-chaarity-report

The number of charities accepting crypto donations has doubled in North America, Europe and Australia, says the 2019 Global NGO Technology Report.

But the numbers are still small. While the number of charities accepting crypto donations has doubled in North America, Europe and Australia, cryptocurrencies still form only 2 percent of total donations.

Africa has the largest amount of NGOs accepting crypto with 5 percent, Asia follows with 4 percent, while Latin America trails with 1 percent.

The real question is whether the NGOs immediately sell their crypto for fiat, or whether they then use it to buy services in the target sector using crypto. lf they did the latter, then adoption would soar in places like Africa.

It shouldn't just be limited to receiving donations.

I think that where NGOs can really benefit is if they can somehow partner up with a big blockchain firm to provide banking access to disadvantaged groups, especially in countries where the banking system is severely underdeveloped. I remember the case study of M-Pesa IIRC a while back that worked fairly well.

That way, these underbanked and unbanked people can access the global forex and labour markets (if they have the necessarily means to doing so) with the help of cryptos at a low cost, and an internet access may not even be needed through a third party SMS wallet service.
Activity: 2716
Merit: 552
see

The number of charities accepting crypto donations has doubled in North America, Europe and Australia, says the 2019 Global NGO Technology Report.

But the numbers are still small. While the number of charities accepting crypto donations has doubled in North America, Europe and Australia, cryptocurrencies still form only 2 percent of total donations.

Africa has the largest amount of NGOs accepting crypto with 5 percent, Asia follows with 4 percent, while Latin America trails with 1 percent.

The real question is whether the NGOs immediately sell their crypto for fiat, or whether they then use it to buy services in the target sector using crypto. lf they did the latter, then adoption would soar in places like Africa.

I doubt most of the NGO's have enough resources to fund their current and incoming projects by using fiat currencies. Thus, they have the option to exchange or convert their cryptos to their local currency on the latter. And I dont have anything against it. Nevertheless, its still a good event for further crypto currency adoption globally.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

I was working with a non-governmental organization in my younger days and we were supported by funding agencies based in the USA and Canada. I know how NGOs can be making a good impact direct with the people and how they are using a much better approach to development as compared to that implemented by the government.

The NGO sector can do well to be working with and using cryptocurrency as they can be accepting funds or assets coming from anywhere in the globe without the usual hindrances in the international transfer of money and resources. While the volume of transactions with NGOs can be insignificant for now I am sure that there is a good potential here.

Now, whether the receiving NGOs converted the cryptocurrency to cash or use them to buy good/services, it does not matter to me. What is important is that we now have a good option and let's hope that a growing number of charities and developmental organizations will continue and even expand their cryptocurrency exposure.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
see

Pages:
Jump to: