Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin amount limit - page 3. (Read 4139 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101
July 04, 2011, 01:40:22 AM
Take Bitcoin's code and create an open source currency without a limit. See if it catches on.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
July 04, 2011, 01:28:27 AM
due to the generation of btc being coupled to energy consumption i think it makes sense to not attribute 50btc/10 minutes in 20 years from now. imagine how big mining would grow if each lucky winner gets worth 10,000,000$.
We need a lot of mining to keep the currency secure. It's the computing capacity of the honest miners exceed that of any attackers that prevents double spending.

I would favour 10-20% volume growth distributed evenly to all participants per year (right now we are at 30%/a distributed based on CPU) but agree that in a peer to peer anonymous system there is no way of implementing that.
That would be 100% equivalent to doing nothing at all. If everyone's bitcoin amount goes up 20%, nothing has changed. It's the same as creating a new unit, say the BITCoin equivalent to .833 bitcoins and pretending all accounts are in that units. "I have 1 bitcoin." and "I have 1.2 BITcoins" mean the same thing.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
July 03, 2011, 08:28:59 AM
due to the generation of btc being coupled to energy consumption i think it makes sense to not attribute 50btc/10 minutes in 20 years from now. imagine how big mining would grow if each lucky winner gets worth 10,000,000$.

I would favour 10-20% volume growth distributed evenly to all participants per year (right now we are at 30%/a distributed based on CPU) but agree that in a peer to peer anonymous system there is no way of implementing that.
legendary
Activity: 873
Merit: 1000
July 03, 2011, 08:05:49 AM
Why would the code of bitcoins be so of which limits the total amount, Or what ever is causing this to be so.

yes, the currency is issued at a relatively fixed rate.  there is source code which issues it in this manner:

Would a market of bitcoins with an infinite amount of possible bitcoins not be better?

some agree.  some don't.  perhaps bitcoins arent't for you.  might the u.s. dollar be ineresting to you instead?
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
July 03, 2011, 06:05:18 AM
Why would the code of bitcoins be so of which limits the total amount, Or what ever is causing this to be so. Would a market of bitcoins with an infinite amount of possible bitcoins not be better? Wallstreet flucuates, Yet it hold to a limitless currency. There is no pre-set limit to an currency of any country. Something my be bought for a trillion dollars, Why should something not be able to be bought for a trillion bitcoins?
Pages:
Jump to: