Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin and global warming - page 6. (Read 3019 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 7
BITDEPOSITARY - Make ICO's , More Secure
October 03, 2018, 06:07:57 AM
I think our main problem is the huge electricity expense induced by mining and its noxious effect on the climate. This is, to my mind, the only serious argument against Bitcoin.
Alleviating the electricity expense should be one of our priorities. If we do not do it for the sake of the Earth (which we really should) we should at least do it selfishly because governments will not tolerate this forever and they will be right. The more the exchange rate increases, the worse it gets, of course.
Some solutions exist though: first there is proof-of-stake, of course. This technology may be too young to be deemed reliable enough but we should at least start considering it.
If we do not like proof-of-stake I think we could drammatically decrease the electricity expense by stopping monetary creation now. Nowdays Bitcoin is famous enough to remain secure even if miners earned transaction fees only. And if as a whole there are 16.5 M coins instead of 21 M, this does not make much of a difference. That is even good for holders. To make miners agree with that solution, they must be compensated for their lost income.  More precisely, active miners must be compensated because they have already bought ASICs. Futures miners do not need to be compensated. Since mining is a competitive industry, future miners will make no profit on average, whatever the reward scheme. To compensate active miners we could decide that the next 2016 blocks yield, say, 100 new coins and then 0 forever. Everybody would win and the Earth above all!
There are probably many other solutions and I wish the community cared a little more about this fundamental issue.

it's something to ponder for sure. Although the argument that bitcoin cosumes more energy than traditional banks won't stand as it's not true at all, we still need to do something about miners
Activity: 61
Merit: 3
October 03, 2018, 06:02:17 AM
Bitcoin mining is seriously impacting the environment as the Bitcoin price increase has increased the demand for electricity to exploit the world's largest electronic money. Bitcoin's performance is much better than regular e-commerce. This is partly due to the fact that the price of the Cryptocurrency is directly affected by the amount of electricity used to mine it. 77 KWH is the minimum power for a virtual currency transaction. In addition to energy consumption, Bitcoin also has a significant impact on the environment because of carbon emissions. According to data obtained from a Bitcoin mining facility in Mongolia. When mining a BTC, this facility will emit about 8,000 to 13,000 kilograms of carbon dioxide, nearly 24,000 to 40,000 kilograms of CO2 for one hour of mining. Thus, on the road to becoming the most valuable currency and payment system. Credible decentralization, BTC is challenging the increasingly scarce and seriously damaged energy sources.

1/10th of 1% of the worlds electricity is not a concern. It is laughable that anyone is even concerned about this.
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
October 03, 2018, 05:55:07 AM
Bitcoin mining is seriously impacting the environment as the Bitcoin price increase has increased the demand for electricity to exploit the world's largest electronic money. Bitcoin's performance is much better than regular e-commerce. This is partly due to the fact that the price of the Cryptocurrency is directly affected by the amount of electricity used to mine it. 77 KWH is the minimum power for a virtual currency transaction. In addition to energy consumption, Bitcoin also has a significant impact on the environment because of carbon emissions. According to data obtained from a Bitcoin mining facility in Mongolia. When mining a BTC, this facility will emit about 8,000 to 13,000 kilograms of carbon dioxide, nearly 24,000 to 40,000 kilograms of CO2 for one hour of mining. Thus, on the road to becoming the most valuable currency and payment system. Credible decentralization, BTC is challenging the increasingly scarce and seriously damaged energy sources.
Activity: 61
Merit: 3
October 03, 2018, 05:43:34 AM
Anyone that believes global warming is a man made phenomenon doesn't understand what the earth has went through for the last 300,000 years. I would recommend watching Joe Rogans podcast episode 606 with Randall Carlson who is someone that knows what they are talking about when it comes to climate change. The greenland ice core project proves global warming is BS. Global warming is just a political ideology. Big business and lots of money.
Activity: 546
Merit: 100
October 03, 2018, 05:28:41 AM
I think our main problem is the huge electricity expense induced by mining and its noxious effect on the climate. This is, to my mind, the only serious argument against Bitcoin.
Alleviating the electricity expense should be one of our priorities. If we do not do it for the sake of the Earth (which we really should) we should at least do it selfishly because governments will not tolerate this forever and they will be right. The more the exchange rate increases, the worse it gets, of course.
Some solutions exist though: first there is proof-of-stake, of course. This technology may be too young to be deemed reliable enough but we should at least start considering it.
If we do not like proof-of-stake I think we could drammatically decrease the electricity expense by stopping monetary creation now. Nowdays Bitcoin is famous enough to remain secure even if miners earned transaction fees only. And if as a whole there are 16.5 M coins instead of 21 M, this does not make much of a difference. That is even good for holders. To make miners agree with that solution, they must be compensated for their lost income.  More precisely, active miners must be compensated because they have already bought ASICs. Futures miners do not need to be compensated. Since mining is a competitive industry, future miners will make no profit on average, whatever the reward scheme. To compensate active miners we could decide that the next 2016 blocks yield, say, 100 new coins and then 0 forever. Everybody would win and the Earth above all!
There are probably many other solutions and I wish the community cared a little more about this fundamental issue.
I agree with you.
But Bitcoin miners can use "green" energy. For example, wind turbines or solar panels.
It will be more profitable and will not so strongly affect the environment.
What do you think about this?
Yes, even though we can't deny the fact that bitcoin needs energy by mining on every transaction but still there is always an option to use energy with environmental friendly like as what mentioned wind mill, solar energy and hydro power source, so we can't site bitcoin as a main contributor of global warming.
Activity: 574
Merit: 102
October 03, 2018, 04:58:02 AM
I agree with you.
But Bitcoin miners can use "green" energy. For example, wind turbines or solar panels.
It will be more profitable and will not so strongly affect the environment.
What do you think about this?
Activity: 476
October 03, 2018, 04:38:19 AM
I do not see the reason why we should not  try the alternatives if what is being done now is harming the environment. The atmosphere is only one we have now and seriously if we care for our existence and for the future generations we must do the best by keeping the environment safe and friendly. Have we consider all other sources of energy like solar, wind, and hydro source which is devoid of hydrocarbon that deplete the ozone  layer. If we are real on saving the environment let us try green energy sources for bitcoin mining.
Activity: 336
September 18, 2018, 01:01:51 PM
Bitcoin is really a well-known cryptocurrency. additional cryptocurrency from the cost increase in order to get free from bitcoin associated with upon is dependent through. simply because of bitcoin just about all towards the top of the gold coin. worldwide heating is actually every single day globe within many of the parts of co2 associated with development is by using, and lots of dangerous gasoline. and also the because of the worldwide heating the actual measurements from the prospects.
Activity: 378
September 18, 2018, 12:36:20 PM
I think bitcoin is not industrial product which contribute to the global warming and i think that bitcoin is the currency which is better the economy and it is the crypto so it is not transported through vehicles and other ways.
bitcoin is good for those who have no other course of income while through this forum bitcoin donation is good for the society i think it is contributing much to the economy while it is not taking any thing from them in reward.
Activity: 546
Merit: 10
September 18, 2018, 12:35:59 PM
The huge energy consumption of bitcoin mining is huge and it's really a huge concern to a number of people. I do hope that something is done urgently in that aspect although many miners are shifting towards alternative eco-friendly energy sources to power their mining equipments.
Activity: 39
September 18, 2018, 12:22:55 PM
I think that bitcoin and global warming are in no way connected, this is nonsense
Activity: 840
Merit: 250
www.guestcrew.com
September 18, 2018, 12:20:48 PM
Bitcoin is now a frequent topic for discussion and with bitcoin you can get a good profit if you know how to work with bitcoin
This is nonsense. What are you talking about.

In fact, banks use more electricity to work than mining coins and keeping server online and banks need server online too. There are many new technology that can help cryptocurrency save more electricity.
Well yea. Electricity can cause global warming by making chemistry stuff and blowing up to the atmosphere. but there is nothing we can do with this situation.
Activity: 742
Merit: 252
September 18, 2018, 12:12:48 PM
It will probably change with LN and all that. I think the issue is who holds the majority of the network. If the average joe decides to stop using other electronic devices in his home, but rather mine... it is not a problem. Is a problem if highly profitable mining facilities use bitcoin mining inefficiencies to gain this profit from their massive clusters of mining equipment that only requiring a few people. I can mine and also plant trees in my garden. I am not a big facility to have this problem. Cheesy
Activity: 1162
Merit: 251
September 18, 2018, 11:53:54 AM
As far as i know Banking system has a worst impact to the enviroment than Bitcoin
Yes and there are a lot of bigger problems than just bitcoin so we cannot speculate that this has the biggest impact on our coin (global warming).
Lol how can the banking system make global warming, can you explain the reason? in my opinion there is no direct correlation between the bank or bitcoin system with global warming or the environment, banks use online systems as well as bitcoin, is that bad for the environment?
Activity: 1540
Merit: 508
September 18, 2018, 11:44:43 AM
In fact, banks use more electricity to work than mining coins and keeping server online and banks need server online too. There are many new technology that can help cryptocurrency save more electricity.
Activity: 350
Merit: 10
September 18, 2018, 11:20:35 AM
Bitcoin mining is really contributing in the global warming because it will use energy and electricity expense should be one of our priorities and the countries which do not find any allegations against bitcoin to ban it may use such complaints as global mining due to bitcoin mining to ban bitcoins.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
August 25, 2018, 12:51:41 PM
Cannot be denied if the entire global economy is based on the source of mining and burning energy that has been stored on Earth for millions of years. and it is also true that large amounts of electricity are used only by running mining / rig hardware. But I think this is totally irrelevant overall, knowing that there are power plants and other items out there that consume one hundred times more electricity than GPUs and ASICs.
Activity: 308
Merit: 11
August 25, 2018, 12:39:36 PM
The only  way to minimise your carbon footprint while mining, is by buying your electricity from a supplier who supplies % renewables generated electricity-certainly in the U.K. there are a number of such companies. These companies ise either solar, wind or other sources of energy to generate power.
Activity: 18
August 25, 2018, 11:17:13 AM
Mining Bitcoin needs  little energy, not enough to become a reason which lead to global warming. Because  evoking global warming concludes of many factors such as cacbon dioxit, gas from factories, vehicles and so on. What we need now is change to protect environment but not to stop mining Bitcoin.
Activity: 42
August 24, 2018, 09:39:31 AM
Bitcoin is now a frequent topic for discussion and with bitcoin you can get a good profit if you know how to work with bitcoin
Pages:
Jump to: