Pages:
Author

Topic: BitCoin as an open-source game currency - page 2. (Read 1720 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
August 02, 2011, 04:16:22 AM
I feel like I would be more likely to play a game with some kind of bitcoin system. The mining idea sounds cool, I can almost see a game built on that. Second Life pretty much did it with the 'money chairs' people made that people would get paid to sit in a chair increasing traffic to the land in hope to stimulate more traffic.
Are there any Facebook games that currently use BitCoins? I feel like the best way to increase the amount of people using bitcoin is to give a reason for people to adopt them.. Games could be one of many ways to do that.
Activity: 662
Merit: 500
August 02, 2011, 03:25:27 AM
slightly more advanced notion might be to try and get the games companies to accept BTC for the bogus not free services they offer like character server moves etc.  to them if the system doesn't really take off they have not impacted their bottom line much but if it does they have a leg up in the bitcoin market.

That would be a good move too! Where are all the devs?  Grin
Activity: 8
August 01, 2011, 04:48:11 PM
This would not be allowed in iOS games (iPhone, iPad, etc.).

Maybe in Android or online/Flash games.

Activity: 127
Merit: 100
August 01, 2011, 02:55:00 PM
So your idea is basically pegging the online currency to the bitcoin?
August 01, 2011, 11:42:34 AM
This hurts vendor lock-in, so you would probably be banned for doing this.
Precisely why we need some BTCfreaks to put together a decent game with this business model! Who knows, it could take off…
Activity: 35
August 01, 2011, 11:23:31 AM
You don't need to be a programmer to create a bitcoin market in a video game.  You could purchase the same user name across many popular games and build a reputation as a buyer/seller of goods.  Imagine I have a helmet in World of Warcraft, but I want a sword in EverQuest.  If you have BTC and the sword, I could sell you my helmet in WoW and you sell me the sword in EverQuest.

This only works in games that allow free markets between players.  As a trusted merchant, you could also perform escrow for trades (as pure digital items can be easily verified by you) for a fee.

This hurts vendor lock-in, so you would probably be banned for doing this.
August 01, 2011, 11:03:51 AM
Idea to increase the adoption of BTC:

If BTC were used in a game (ideally a free game like Heroes of Newerth) where there is a model of 'currency points/game points' where you win game points by achievement but can buy 'currency points' to spend in in-game stores to get ahead (The BTC replacing 'currency points') with in-game purchase of BTC to a wallet held on the game-server adoption would necessarily increase. And if you allowed BTC withdrawals, you could become one of the big exchanges.. or become a major store-front for one of them..

And if the devs making the game had gone that far already, why not include a 'generate game points' button - which actually mines BTC for you, the dev, while 'generating' a disproportionately large number of the free-to-you game points for the player. Or even better, let the player keep half the BTC and gamepoints worth 150% the other half, so they could take that BTC and spend it elsewhere if they wanted to..

I don't have the skills to get anything made but I had to put that out there. I know a lot of you do! Give it a shot!
Pages:
Jump to: