Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Block Explorer - page 5. (Read 29599 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
November 09, 2010, 11:20:11 PM
Thanks for the donation and nice comments!

I just noticed a bug, which I won't be able to fix today: the type of transaction listed after "Sent" or "Received" on address pages is wrong.

A question. When you send coins and get change both addresses are listed, are they listed in the same order every time? Is it random, or alphabetical...

The order is randomized when sent. BBE shows them in the order that they appear in the block.

Cool, thanks. It's sometimes "obvious" like in the recent block 846.63 = 826.63 + 20, but you can't rely on that for arrests, etc. Well, i guess you could...
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13027
November 09, 2010, 11:15:38 PM
Thanks for the donation and nice comments!

I just noticed a bug, which I won't be able to fix today: the type of transaction listed after "Sent" or "Received" on address pages is wrong.

A question. When you send coins and get change both addresses are listed, are they listed in the same order every time? Is it random, or alphabetical...

The order is randomized when sent. BBE shows them in an unspecified order on address and block pages (I might change this), but it preserves the block's ordering on transaction pages.
legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
November 09, 2010, 11:11:02 PM
When I sell something on BiddingPond and post the address to pay to in the listing, this would help verify payment was sent.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
November 09, 2010, 11:09:19 PM
This is amazing.

legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
November 09, 2010, 10:52:44 PM
As a non-programmer, I like this. I can see how my transactions are not 100% anonymous.

I'd like to re-visit that bitcoin laundromat...
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13027
November 09, 2010, 10:33:29 PM
I created a site that lets you view detailed information about Bitcoin blocks, addresses, and transactions.

http://theymos.ath.cx:64150/bbe/

This data is all gotten from the block chain. It has always been possible to get this data, but you had to patch Bitcoin with getblock or use the clunky -printblock switch in Bitcoin, and then you had to search through miles of data to get what you wanted. Now everything is available in a clickable and easily-searchable format.

Some highlights:

- The genesis block, which is included with every version of Bitcoin. If you click the only transaction in this block (the generation transaction), you will see that the "genesis coins" have not yet been spent ("not yet redeemed" in "outputs").

- 198.99 BTC has been donated to the EFF since a Bitcoin address was added to their site. (As of this writing. Hopefully more will be added.)

- Bitcoin Faucet has sent and received a ton of transactions. Because of the way change works in Bitcoin, the total balance on this page is not the actual Faucet balance, and this page does not represent all Faucet transactions.

- Surprisingly, the three transactions with unknown "to" addresses in this block are the only non-standard transactions in the block chain. The repeated OP_CHECKSIG commands cause everyone downloading the block chain to do extra cryptography -- the bug that allowed this transaction to be included is now fixed, but these old transactions still exist.

- 50 BTC has already been donated to BBE, even though I hadn't officially announced it yet. Thanks! If you click on the transaction and follow it back one transaction, you can see that the coin used to donate to me was a generation from January 2010.

- Following one of the addresses used by a scammer (according to BuyBitcoins), you can get all of the addresses that ever received coins from this address:
1PwQfGPUFfuqqsmqpg8GegKziMV5Y3qfyr
18oCRAYcQEFbgm7nUCnJ7CqfgYxrhj9Des
16Fdg74JrkWogNDLDM8FJS1k5QrKAouBts
12cPg8VXSL3R3GnphKbpabC14S1sZXbsmU
19w4JEHG2fjVkEeheLSQNTZmmj81KvSzK7
If you own one of these addresses, then maybe you can identify this scammer. This list is only going one level deep -- it's also possible to find a list of every address that received "stolen coins" from the original address, possibly through multiple levels.

I hope BBE will be useful and informative. One of my main motivations for creating it was to inform people of the exact limitations of Bitcoin's anonymity -- it's possible to remain anonymous, but only if you're careful.
Pages:
Jump to: