Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin can only be a gold 2.0, nothing more - page 2. (Read 1089 times)

copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
February 13, 2017, 05:04:00 PM
Nothing more as if any currency is something more than a currency? you want use case right, then how about when world powers issue unfair sanctions on countries such as mine, while someone like me has nothing to do with politics BS and pissing contest.
I'm not supporting terrorists and doing no illegal business but international banking systems are to busy to provide me with their services so I use bitcoin and support it's growth to a point where I can just use bitcoin for everything.
Bitcoin has no claim whatsoever on what it is than what people want it to be.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
February 13, 2017, 04:42:40 PM
It is true fact that bitcoin is more like gold as it is good for investment and for real life currency still it has more to develop and more over all country government should accept it to become unique currency of this world
Activity: 1106
Merit: 637
February 13, 2017, 04:36:06 PM
I hope this post gets shot down and I am 'proved' wrong. I have been a supporter of Bitcoin for a few years but....

It is becoming apparent that Bitcoin will only ever fulfill the role as gold 2.0, and that is... a Currency of Last Resort.

By definition referring to Bitcoin as "gold 2.0" implies you believe it'll be an upgrade, better than gold.

As for your currency of last resort comment, that may be its reality on the currency front. I think Bitcoin's real use is in store of value, it's a new asset class and it'll be better than gold. And Bitcoin is a lot more scarce that gold.

The existing gold in the world equals 5,820,203,717 ounces (the standard amount for a single gold coin, and IMO the right measure of comparison for Bitcoin). SOURCE: http://www.numbersleuth.org/worlds-gold/

And we all know there will be at some point close to 21,000,000 bitcoins.

Where do you see Bitcoin's competition? Other alt cryptos? Litecoin hasn't been able to take it over...do think ETH will?
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
February 13, 2017, 04:07:47 PM
Except BTC is 1000 times easier to transfer and move around with you than gold or any other hard assets are.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
February 13, 2017, 04:02:23 PM

I hope this post gets shot down and I am 'proved' wrong. I have been a supporter of Bitcoin for a few years but....

It is becoming apparent that Bitcoin will only ever fulfill the role as gold 2.0, and that is... a Currency of Last Resort.

It is a currency of last resort because it is so inefficient. I rack my brain daily to 'conjure up' a use case (that I can test) that relied on Bitcoin and has a preferable outcome when compared to regular fiat and 3rd party services.

The ways in which Bitcoin is similar to gold - expensive to purchase with your wages (ie. spreads, exchange fees, bank transfer fees etc.), very limited on who will accept as payment (most vendors unwilling to accept due to the same reasons/ ie. expensive when changing back to fiat) and slow to transfer (debatable one).

I don't even think drug dealers are using Bitcoin that much. When the EU calculated the UKs GDP to figure how much the UK should pay into the EU, they took into account how the illegal drugs trade is worth to the UK (I kid you not! Story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10861170/Drugs-and-prostitution-add-10bn-a-year-to-UK-economy.html). They calculated it to be worth £4.4 Billion. The UK is only a small country so I'm sure that if you add Europe and the US we're talking tens of Billions. How much of that is going through the Bitcoin network I guess we'll never know - I would like to see the stats if they are available as to how much of the Bitcoin network transactions are the exchanges and how much is individuals or smaller firms.

So what is Bit[Suspicious link removed]d for? It's inaccessible, expensive to acquire and has limited appeal. It has been an excellent investment over the past few years (like gold Smiley ) but I can't help but think that when our banks administer their own blockchain currencies that offer efficiency and with that efficiency comes additional use-cases that really work.

I feel that this competition is coming up fast and if Bitcoin wants to be anything more that a fringe currency for the ultra-paranoid then it had better get a lick on! Angry
Pages:
Jump to: