Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Carbon Footprint - page 2. (Read 295 times)

legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
April 24, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
It is the producers of electricity that bear the burden of carbon emissions, and not the users of electricity. Usage of electricity has no carbon footprint.

Certain people want to dictate who can use electricity and what they can use it for. It is as simple and as scary as that.

Activity: 868
Merit: 190
I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.
April 24, 2021, 03:01:16 PM
My opinion is that Bitcoin miners are using excess power. The reason most are allocated in China is the low cost and infrastructure in hydroelectric power.
Coal power plants have been in use in some locations to power bitcoin miners but not on a massive scale.

Most of Bitcoin mining uses efficient green energy. Our planet is not polluted by Bitcoin, and there is no estimation that Bitcoin mining will ever affect anything.
There are so many industries that have a destructive influence on the environment, not to mention the nuclear weapon and the radioactive isotopes released since 1950.

Bitcoin is the least of our worries when it comes to the environment.
I didn't read anything to suggest most of Bitcoin mining comes from green efficient energy sources. I'll look it up later.

1st rule of Fight Club,
You don't talk about Fight Club

1st rule of Bitcoin
You don't talk about it's Carbon Foot Print

Reason being if you did, you have to admit that exploring a change to a different energy efficient algorithm is the only real solution to the carbon footprint of bitcoin reliance on PoW. And that is something Bitcoiners don't want to discuss.
Until the Governments begin shutting down the miners for excessive energy waste, they will not accept it as a problem.

We are getting there however.
https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2021/03/02/china-bitcoin-mining-hub-to-shut-down-cryptocurrency-projects.html
China’s Inner Mongolia region plans to ban new cryptocurrency mining projects and shut down existing activity in a bid to cut down on the energy-consuming operation.
Bitcoin mining consumes an estimated 128.84 terrawatt-hour per year of energy, more than entire countries such as Ukraine and Argentina.
Inner Mongolia alone accounts for around 8% of all bitcoin mining globally, more than the United States which accounts for 7.2%.
The numbers of places banning cryptocurrency mining is going to increase year on year. Maybe it'll have something to do with concentrating mining to specific places for strategic purposes.

Yes, there is an excessive use of electricity. But today it is very inefficient to generate electricity using fossil fuels. More wind energy, dams or nuclear energy is used. This is not the type of energy that causes carbon footprint.
I've read about a country in Asia building hydroelectric-powered mining farms. State owned cryptocurrency mining with green power is interesting but building them isn't going to be easy it'll take years.
Activity: 854
Merit: 109
Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!
April 24, 2021, 02:03:09 PM
Yes, there is an excessive use of electricity. But today it is very inefficient to generate electricity using fossil fuels. More wind energy, dams or nuclear energy is used. This is not the type of energy that causes carbon footprint.
Activity: 1218
Merit: 251
April 24, 2021, 01:49:31 PM
based on data articles from the Cambridge University Bitcoin Electricity Consumption Index (CBECI), it has made comparisons of electricity consumption with several other parts of the world.
You can see from some of the pictures that I show, which shows how much is the difference from the total per year of electricity which is the source of mining energy.

Mike Colyer, Foundry CEO said that
"It allows for faster payback on solar or wind projects ... because they [would otherwise] generate too much energy for the grid in that area"

source of reading www.visualcapitalist.com

Activity: 266
Merit: 20
April 24, 2021, 01:29:21 PM
1st rule of Fight Club,
You don't talk about Fight Club

1st rule of Bitcoin
You don't talk about it's Carbon Foot Print

Reason being if you did, you have to admit that exploring a change to a different energy efficient algorithm is the only real solution to the carbon footprint of bitcoin reliance on PoW. And that is something Bitcoiners don't want to discuss.
Until the Governments begin shutting down the miners for excessive energy waste, they will not accept it as a problem.

We are getting there however.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/china-bitcoin-mining-hub-to-shut-down-cryptocurrency-projects.html
China’s Inner Mongolia region plans to ban new cryptocurrency mining projects and shut down existing activity in a bid to cut down on the energy-consuming operation.
Bitcoin mining consumes an estimated 128.84 terrawatt-hour per year of energy, more than entire countries such as Ukraine and Argentina.
Inner Mongolia alone accounts for around 8% of all bitcoin mining globally, more than the United States which accounts for 7.2%.
Activity: 342
Merit: 24
April 24, 2021, 01:23:33 PM
My opinion is that Bitcoin miners are using excess power. The reason most are allocated in China is the low cost and infrastructure in hydroelectric power.
Coal power plants have been in use in some locations to power bitcoin miners but not on a massive scale.

Most of Bitcoin mining uses efficient green energy. Our planet is not polluted by Bitcoin, and there is no estimation that Bitcoin mining will ever affect anything.
There are so many industries that have a destructive influence on the environment, not to mention the nuclear weapon and the radioactive isotopes released since 1950.

Bitcoin is the least of our worries when it comes to the environment.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
April 24, 2021, 11:53:02 AM
Do we really need to have one more topic about Bitcoin cartbon footprint propaganda?
Don't believe everything you hear on mainstream news with sensational headlines, better learn to use search function before creating new one and check out this topic for Debunking the "Bitcoin is an environmental disaster" argument by fillippone.

There is obviously some agenda to put climate change and global warming in news even harder than it was done for covid pandemic and here is cnn director admited that on hidden camera for veritas.
We are going to see what happens in future but this can also affect Bitcoin and people should be aware of that.
Activity: 868
Merit: 190
I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.
April 22, 2021, 09:00:43 AM
We're waiting for cryptocurrencies to be fully adopted in mainstream but we know it's contributing to damaging the planet. If there won't be solutions to make mining cryptocurrency environmentally friendly how can it be sustainable on current trends?

Are you worried about Bitcoin mining energy consumption? I've read it's using more electricity than Argentina, it's using more than energy than American Airlines and Bitcoin miners in Iceland use more electricity than their entire national domestic consumption.

Oil and mineral extraction is damaging our environment, selling tobacco is contributing to cancer cases but it doesn't stop investors wanting to make profit in unethical projects. If we're looking at ethical facts cryptocurrency traders are involved in a business that's damaging the planet, that's what makes me feel uneasy. What's your position?

Pages:
Jump to: