Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin city? - page 2. (Read 2502 times)

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
June 10, 2014, 06:53:26 PM
your arguement
I don't think he asked for a penny.
Just throwing out ideas. Nothing wrong with sharing an idea.
Even one that isn't likely to actually develop.

my rebuttle

To start with a large fund will have to be started and I'm talking in the millions,

thank you for playing
have a nice day
legendary
Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000
www.bitkong.com
June 10, 2014, 06:39:01 PM
This would be ridiculously expensive. Things like this are always good on paper except when it comes to fund it, it never works.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
June 10, 2014, 06:19:21 PM
Do some research into Bali - they are trying to become "Bitcoin Island".

They are actually building an abandoned island as a tourist spot where the medium of exchange is Bitcoin.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
June 10, 2014, 06:17:03 PM
A not for profit company is probably the best legal way to put it, with a board of directors leading it and "citizens" will be stakeholders in the project with the right to vote. Yes it's a huge logistical issue but that's what team work is for , one person can't do this alone it would take hundreds of volunteers .

I personally am a tradesperson I could oversee construction of the place, it doesn't have to big to start just simple and efficient and foresight for future planning. Imagine a real estate development that's affordable and powered by bitcoins. It would take a lot of commitment but it will be an example for the rest of the world

It would be a massive undertaking for sure. I would love to see it happen. As someone said above the best route might be just to target an existing city.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
June 10, 2014, 06:10:15 PM
Do some research into Bali - they are trying to become "Bitcoin Island".
Activity: 70
June 10, 2014, 05:39:40 PM
A not for profit company is probably the best legal way to put it, with a board of directors leading it and "citizens" will be stakeholders in the project with the right to vote. Yes it's a huge logistical issue but that's what team work is for , one person can't do this alone it would take hundreds of volunteers .

I personally am a tradesperson I could oversee construction of the place, it doesn't have to big to start just simple and efficient and foresight for future planning. Imagine a real estate development that's affordable and powered by bitcoins. It would take a lot of commitment but it will be an example for the rest of the world
June 10, 2014, 05:01:53 PM
making a city purely for bitcoin (translation: bitcoin concentration camp)

we do not need a place to throw bitcoiners into, we need to get non bitcoiners EVERYWHERE to accept bitcoin.
bitcoin is not about centralisation

secondly the cost to make a city requires billions. the OP wants people to give him all your bitcoins. this is another funds grab for personal profit.

thirdly you do not need to build a city. you can easily and more cheaply, convert a current city to be bitcoin friendly. check out hull, new hampshire. etc.

everyone SHOULD NOT pay the OP a single bitcoin to either run off with the money, or to make a concentration camp. instead we should be making EVERYWHERE bitcoin friendly. that way we can have choices of destinations and freedom of movement.

I don't think anyone is advocating that kind of thing. It is fun to speculate on such an idea though.
Activity: 112
June 10, 2014, 12:43:35 PM

we do not need a place to throw bitcoiners into, we need to get non bitcoiners EVERYWHERE to accept bitcoin.

secondly the cost to make a city requires billions. the OP wants people to give him all your bitcoins. this is another funds grab for personal profit.

thirdly you do not need to build a city. you can easily and more cheaply, convert a current city to be bitcoin friendly. check out hull, new hampshire. etc.

everyone SHOULD NOT pay the OP a single bitcoin to either run off with the money, or to make a concentration camp. instead we should be making EVERYWHERE bitcoin friendly. that way we can have choices of destinations and freedom of movement.

I don't think he asked for a penny.
Just throwing out ideas. Nothing wrong with sharing an idea.
Even one that isn't likely to actually develop.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
June 10, 2014, 12:07:41 PM

Activity: 140
Merit: 107
June 10, 2014, 11:12:18 AM
Reminds me of

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Marcin_Jakubowski and
http://galtsgulchchile.com

I believe if cryptocurrencies continue to grow exponentially there will be enough wealth to contribute back. Building cities themselves sounds pretty utopian, though. If a person or a group of people really wants to make things happen it takes a lot of vision to attract talent, capital, .... it's more realistic to think about a kind of resort like GaltsGulch.
June 10, 2014, 11:03:48 AM
I like the idea. There would be some logistical stuff to work out but maybe a pilot city of sorts would be a great way to experiment with full bit coin integration.
June 10, 2014, 10:57:38 AM
I haven't posted on here for a while , but I'm wondering how many of you bitcoin users are in technical trades in the construction industry?

I'm studying to be a licensed builder in New South Wales , Australia .
I've been thinking of , a experimental bitcoin city if you will call it that. I'm sure there are places and people who have already tried this but every state should have a city built on bitcoin , reason being is that it's very difficult changing existing protocols and habits in a developed city.

If we started from the ground up with bitcoin as the underlying currency and foundation of the startup city I think this will make it much easier to transition into the larger populace.

To start with a large fund will have to be started and I'm talking in the millions, there would need to be a self sufficiency to the city , a green city.
- green energy (wind farms perhaps) and the possibility of selling that energy to the grid
- agriculture , cattle , etc
- people with trade backgrounds willing to accept bitcoin as a form of payment
- to simplify trade , I would suggest paper wallets of pre set denominations for regular purchases, even pre paid accounts with businesses

I'm going to continue listing things I'm busy at the moment but please add your own ideas and such

How coincidental !!! I was thinking something similar yesterday. But I was not thinking about a city. I was thinking about crowdfunding a multistoried building and returning the bitcoins to investors by selling apartments in it. There is ample of real estate opportunity in India. We are just short of funding.

Could try http://www.bitpools.com/ when it's fully up and running.
I think thats the idea behind the website. Crowdfunding.

EDIT: Ah, the creator beat me to it.

seems the server is too slow... the site is not loading Sad

Strange, it was working just a minute ago.
I think it launched just yesterday, so they're probably having a few teething problems.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049
June 10, 2014, 10:21:20 AM
I haven't posted on here for a while , but I'm wondering how many of you bitcoin users are in technical trades in the construction industry?

I've been thinking of , a experimental bitcoin city if you will call it that. I'm sure there are places and people who have already tried this but every state should have a city built on bitcoin , reason being is that it's very difficult changing existing protocols and habits in a developed city.

If we started from the ground up with bitcoin as the underlying currency and foundation of the startup city I think this will make it much easier to transition into the larger populace.

To start with a large fund will have to be started and I'm talking in the millions, there would need to be a self sufficiency to the city , a green city.
- green energy (wind farms perhaps) and the possibility of selling that energy to the grid
- to simplify trade , I would suggest paper wallets of pre set denominations for regular purchases, even pre paid accounts with businesses

I'm going to continue listing things I'm busy at the moment but please add your own ideas and such

How coincidental !!! I was thinking something similar yesterday. But I was not thinking about a city. I was thinking about crowdfunding a multistoried building and returning the bitcoins to investors by selling apartments in it. There is ample of real estate opportunity in India. We are just short of funding.

seems the server is too slow... the site is not loading Sad
June 10, 2014, 10:17:25 AM

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
June 10, 2014, 10:16:35 AM
As far as this idea goes...stay tuned...

I did not create a tool for voting with bitcoin for nothing.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
June 10, 2014, 10:15:09 AM
And how do people pay taxes? In BTC (I don't think it's possible) or in AUD (so they need to sell btc for aud)?

What a sad world you must live in. Free yourself.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049
June 10, 2014, 09:26:32 AM

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
June 10, 2014, 09:16:22 AM
It would have to be a country... as any country we tried to do this in would steal everything we had in the name of justice or terrorism or really w/e as the masses are really stupid and believe anything.

I think it should be an enormous floating Bitcoin city, that could travel the open ocean. If these could be feasible and repeated the world would avoid overpopulation issues.

I like this idea.
June 10, 2014, 09:08:40 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but an enormous undertaking.
There would be so much to consider that something important could easily be ignored.
And imagine trying to keep bitcoiners in line while developing this place.
Some would work hard, some would embezzle all the funds, others would actively try to tear everything down.
You could start with a preexisting town as a dedicated bitcoin community and expand in planned stages.
Imagine pitching that to the towns mayor though, lol.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
June 10, 2014, 09:04:49 AM
It would have to be a country... as any country we tried to do this in would steal everything we had in the name of justice or terrorism or really w/e as the masses are really stupid and believe anything.

I think it should be an enormous floating Bitcoin city, that could travel the open ocean. If these could be feasible and repeated the world would avoid overpopulation issues.
Pages:
Jump to: