Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Classic discussion - page 2. (Read 2296 times)

legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013
January 17, 2016, 02:04:46 PM
Why is this in the altcoin section?

Simple answer: Bitcoin Classic is an Altcoin (something other than Bitcoin).

"Altcoin" is a token of value based on an "alternative chain".

"Alternative chain" is a blockchain that stems from some other
genesis than that created by Satoshi.

So no, we can't really say Classic is an altcoin in the traditional
sense. Nomenclature needs an update.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
January 17, 2016, 11:51:15 AM

Simple answer: Bitcoin Classic is an Altcoin (something other than Bitcoin).
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
January 16, 2016, 10:51:41 PM
Any fork proposal is arguably not bitcoin and therefore an altcoin, discussion is this forum is better suited here imo anyway.

Intro:
Gavin Andresen's latest attempt to promote a blocksize cap increase consists of a to-be-developed bitcoin Core fork called Bitcoin Classic. According to the official website The software would increase the blocksize cap to 2Mb immediately and allow miners and users say they what they want.

Useful links:
Official Bitcoin Classic website
Bitcoin Consensus graphs in consider.it
Bitcoin Classic Consensus graphs in consider.it
Blocktrail bitcoin pool stats, including blocksize votes by miners

I disagree pretty hard here. What "Bitcoin" is ain't what the Bitcoin Core devs say it is - it's what the PEOPLE using it say it is. If aforementioned people support something that the Core devs don't, and it's implemented and they use it, then it IS Bitcoin.

I don't make the rules, a thread like this would probably end up being moved here if I didn't do it myself. That's also the reason why I believe this is better suited here, because I've seen threads about other fork attempts being moved in the altcoin section.

But anyways, aside of this disclaimer on top of the OP, I hope I'm doing a good job at keeping this thread informative and neutral.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
January 16, 2016, 10:44:18 PM
Any fork proposal is arguably not bitcoin and therefore an altcoin, discussion is this forum is better suited here imo anyway.

Intro:
Gavin Andresen's latest attempt to promote a blocksize cap increase consists of a to-be-developed bitcoin Core fork called Bitcoin Classic. According to the official website The software would increase the blocksize cap to 2Mb immediately and allow miners and users say they what they want.

Useful links:

I disagree pretty hard here. What "Bitcoin" is ain't what the Bitcoin Core devs say it is - it's what the PEOPLE using it say it is. If aforementioned people support something that the Core devs don't, and it's implemented and they use it, then it IS Bitcoin.

I agree both on the what people want and the authority of core devs part but a few vocal people foaming at the mouth trying to promote their fork (without even having a clue of the possible side effects of a hostile fork) is in now way representative of what most Bitcoin users want. I say a few vocal people because Bitcoin is way, way bigger than a bunch of people circlejerking on a couple of random forums.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
January 16, 2016, 10:43:23 PM
I'm not going to participate in discussions of Bitcoin in the altcoin sections

no complaints here  Kiss
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
January 16, 2016, 10:37:25 PM

Intro:

Useful links:

Yeah, don't waste your breath. I can't argue with those that think that a hard fork of bitcoin that gets an economic majority (miners/users/merchants) isn't bitcoin. I'm not going to participate in discussions of Bitcoin in the altcoin sections - just going to point my mining equipment at a pool that supports the consensus rules I agree with.
January 16, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
The hashrate behind those said to be supporting "Bitcoin Classic"

Source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/418sza/promotion_of_client_software_which_attempts_to/
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
January 13, 2016, 09:50:05 PM
Interesting.. i guess his foundation 800k a year salary was well earned.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
January 13, 2016, 10:45:20 AM
Agreed, fork proposals are not Bitcoin.

I also find naming fork proposals like XT and Classic kind of ridiculous. There's no need to try to add flavors or plant flags like that. Bitcoin is Bitcoin and if it's not then that's an irrelevant altcoin.
January 13, 2016, 10:22:32 AM

Intro:

Useful links:
Pages:
Jump to: