Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Client Redeam private key? - page 2. (Read 4485 times)

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
August 14, 2012, 02:56:45 AM
Could someone pls run me through it in the fewest possible steps? Im a complete noob and have no idea how to do even the first thing described above. Shocked Huh Huh

Step 1. Back up your wallet. You are messing with your wallet here, ... and it is easy to do things you might not have intended.

Run Bitcoin as a server, e.g.,

$ ./bitcoin-qt -server

then launch another shell / terminal window.

If you've encrypted your wallet you'll need to open it for RPC

$ ./bitcoind walletpassphrase [passphrase] 1000

then

$ ./bitcoind importprivkey  [label]

then close bitcoin-qt.

then

$ ./bitcoind -rescan
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
August 13, 2012, 02:30:10 PM
Insert the following into your bitcoin.conf
Code:
server=1
and start your bitcoin-qt.

Open a command line and write
Code:
bitcoind importprivkey  [label]
and press enter. The label is optional, but I would advise you to use it so you can recognize the address later.
Your private key is imported.

Could someone pls run me through it in the fewest possible steps? Im a complete noob and have no idea how to do even the first thing described above. Shocked Huh Huh

I have redeemed a private key successfully with blockchain.info already, but would like to learn how to do it without any thirdparty application also. So if bad gets worse, I can still retrieve my pressious bitcoins using only the original bitcoin client.

Thx
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
July 08, 2012, 01:27:22 PM
is their a Bitcoin that can Client Redeam private key?

Also, Mt. Gox will redeem a key and create a sweep transaction to add that amount to your account balance.  It will then also monitor that address and if any funds arrive at a later point in time, automatically sweep them at that time as well.

This can be done from the website as well as Mt. Gox mobile app (which can be used to scan the QR code).

This allows Bitcoin Checks or BitAddress.org paper wallets to be redeemed by a merchant, for instance.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1007
July 07, 2012, 08:21:25 AM
It might be better though to have a seperate "watchlist" for private keys that others could potentially know as well which regularly get scanned + any balance is transferred asap to a private key that only you know.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
July 07, 2012, 08:17:28 AM
Insert the following into your bitcoin.conf
Code:
server=1
and start your bitcoin-qt.

Open a command line and write
Code:
bitcoind importprivkey  [label]
and press enter. The label is optional, but I would advise you to use it so you can recognize the address later.
Your private key is imported.

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
July 07, 2012, 07:58:44 AM
If you look at flatfly's excellent bitcoin client comparison you can see that all the desktop clients have some import private key capability:
http://dre.tx0.org/compare.htm

blockchain.info I think also has the option to import a key on the Import/ Export page (speaking from memory).

For MultiBit you can import the sipa private key format (the ones starting with '5').
The easiest way to do it is:
1) create a wallet
2) do a private key export WITHOUT encryption
3) have a look at the file generated - there is a whole load of commenting as to the format.
4) add in your private key and the date it is first used (explained in the comment)
5) import it back in.
6) it then has to sync the blockchain from the date you entered.

I think Armory you can just type in the key directly so that, or blockchain.info, are probably the easiest.
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
July 07, 2012, 07:44:09 AM
I think The Armoury can.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
July 07, 2012, 07:39:41 AM
is their a Bitcoin that can Client Redeam private key?
Pages:
Jump to: