Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.13 freezes Ubuntu 16 - page 2. (Read 1800 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
November 25, 2016, 04:47:18 PM
You need good amount of HDD spaces. It's hardware intensive.
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
November 25, 2016, 11:45:13 AM
Thanks for the answer. Laptop is new, so there is essentially 500 GB free space, basically I don't have anything else on that laptop .
I figured out that maybe that freeze was due to overheating, because that freeze happened after laptop was already working on blockchain for several hours.
I will try to find debug.log file and post it.
Bitcoin Core is also extremely hardware intensive. You seem to have fairly low end hardware so Bitcoin Core will probably not run as well as you want it to.
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
November 25, 2016, 06:28:13 AM
Hello, so I have a new Dell laptop with Intel Pentium N3700, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD with Ubuntu 16. I want to use it to store cryptocurrencies. So I downloaded Bitcoin Core 0.13 and it started synchronizing. When it got to the point that ~1 year 40 weeks were left to synchronize, computer just froze, keyboard didn't respond, mouse/ touchpad didn't respond too. I had to shut down computer with power button. I ran Bitcoin Core for several more times and every time it froze after 5 - 20 min. I tried Bitcoin Core 0.12 and result was the same.
However I managed to set up Dash Core (I am not trying to promote Dash here) and wallet for another coin and it downloaded both blockchains without problem.
Should I try older version of Bitcoin Core? But would that be safe? I guess I can use Electrum or other wallet but I wanted to use the "real" thing.

I am now donwloading the blockchain of bitcoin core. At this moment i a only twee weeks behind. If i look at my harddisk i now use already 97.5 GB. I use the lastest version i think Bitcoin core 0.13.1. Is it possible perhaps that you don't have enough free space anymore on your harddisk. That's why i did buy an external harddisk to put the blockchain on it. I have been downloading now for a good two weeks (about 5 hours a day).
Thanks for the answer. I don't have anything else on that laptop so I have almost 500 GB free space on hard disk.
Now I think that freeze could have been due to overheating.
But two weeks for downloading blockchain - that sounds like a lot. What kind of CPU and how much RAM do you have on your computer?
November 25, 2016, 06:24:03 AM
The Bitcoin blockchain is much larger and requires more processing power to process than most altcoins.

How much free space do you have on that hard drive before you started Bitcoin Core?

Can you please post the debug.log file?
Thanks for the answer. Laptop is new, so there is essentially 500 GB free space, basically I don't have anything else on that laptop .
I figured out that maybe that freeze was due to overheating, because that freeze happened after laptop was already working on blockchain for several hours.
I will try to find debug.log file and post it.
Activity: 630
Merit: 250
November 24, 2016, 12:36:18 PM
Hello, so I have a new Dell laptop with Intel Pentium N3700, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD with Ubuntu 16. I want to use it to store cryptocurrencies. So I downloaded Bitcoin Core 0.13 and it started synchronizing. When it got to the point that ~1 year 40 weeks were left to synchronize, computer just froze, keyboard didn't respond, mouse/ touchpad didn't respond too. I had to shut down computer with power button. I ran Bitcoin Core for several more times and every time it froze after 5 - 20 min. I tried Bitcoin Core 0.12 and result was the same.
However I managed to set up Dash Core (I am not trying to promote Dash here) and wallet for another coin and it downloaded both blockchains without problem.
Should I try older version of Bitcoin Core? But would that be safe? I guess I can use Electrum or other wallet but I wanted to use the "real" thing.

I am now donwloading the blockchain of bitcoin core. At this moment i a only twee weeks behind. If i look at my harddisk i now use already 97.5 GB. I use the lastest version i think Bitcoin core 0.13.1. Is it possible perhaps that you don't have enough free space anymore on your harddisk. That's why i did buy an external harddisk to put the blockchain on it. I have been downloading now for a good two weeks (about 5 hours a day).
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
November 24, 2016, 12:21:56 PM
The Bitcoin blockchain is much larger and requires more processing power to process than most altcoins.

How much free space do you have on that hard drive before you started Bitcoin Core?

Can you please post the debug.log file?
November 24, 2016, 06:02:09 AM
Pages:
Jump to: