Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core (Bitcoin-Qt) 0.9.1 released - update required - page 9. (Read 64104 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I have 0.8.5 version. Should I upgrade too? Backup before upgrade?

If you don't use RPC over SSL then there is no need to upgrade, of course an upgrade won't hurt.

As for "backup before upgrade"?  ALWAYS backup before upgrade, every single upgrade and periodically between upgrades.  You never need to ask that question again because there is never a scenario where if you are deciding if you should make a backup that it would be a bad idea to do so.  Always use dates in the names of backups so you don't write over previous versions.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
What about Mycelium - is it safe?

Safe just check their site for updates
legendary

You don't have to but yes and yes
legendary
I was running Bitcoin_qt 9.0. I downloaded the Bitcoin qt 9.1 setup.exe file and ran it. Am I good?

EDIT: I did't uninstall anything prior to installing 9.1 is that ok?

Good double check about version
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
What about Mycelium - is it safe?
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 883
Merit: 1005
I was running Bitcoin_qt 9.0. I downloaded the Bitcoin qt 9.1 setup.exe file and ran it. Am I good?

EDIT: I did't uninstall anything prior to installing 9.1 is that ok?
legendary
If you guys are worried, transfer everything to a paper wallet you made offline and let this blow over.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038
Edit: using electrum is safe.

Was scared shitless , until I saw this.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
How do I install this for Linux Mint? On the previous version there was just a bitcoin-qt file which I could click on and run. Now the extracted folder contains several files, none of which are executable. I am stupid and know almost nothing about using the terminal, compiling libraries, etc. Can someone give me a simple explanation please?

Go to bin 64

I have done that and clicked bitcoin-qt. I get the following error:

Could not display "/home/robert/Programs/bitcoin-0.9.1-linux/bin/64/bitcoin-qt". There is no application installed for shared library files. Do you want to search...

That's right they made the resources static. I don't know any more. Try 32?

Tried both. Thanks anyway.
legendary
How do I install this for Linux Mint? On the previous version there was just a bitcoin-qt file which I could click on and run. Now the extracted folder contains several files, none of which are executable. I am stupid and know almost nothing about using the terminal, compiling libraries, etc. Can someone give me a simple explanation please?

Go to bin 64

Could not display "/home/robert/Programs/bitcoin-0.9.1-linux/bin/64/bitcoin-qt". There is no application installed for shared library files. Do you want to search...

That's right they made the resources static. I don't know any more. Try 32?

Go to bin 64

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I hate being forced into new updates. Like MoonShadow once said (and I am paraphrasing): "I like to wait until they have ironed out the bugs with new releases before I update". I've been following that same rule, and only update if it's absolutely necessary. Which is why I never even upgraded to v0.9

That's a good policy. I also do that. You don't need to update from versions older than 0.9.0 unless you're using rpcssl. Most people aren't.
How can you tell when you are using rpcssl? What activates/turns it on? I've never manually ran any RPC commands that had to do with SSL. Just importing privkeys.

Even if you are using RPC you would have had to manually create a SSL private key and SSL cert using openssl and then manually install those by setting params in the bitcoin.conf in order to be be exectuing those RPC calls over SSL.

If all of those sounds foreign the simple answer is unless you already knew you were using RPC over SSL you weren't using it.
legendary

Go to bin 64
legendary
I created 4 private keys offline in Bitcoin-QT 9.0 via TailsOS. My client never touched the internet, do I need to bring my cold storage online to create 4 new wallets in 9.1?

Shameful quote, I need to know Sad

Almost everyone should be pretty safe especially you. Unless they're not telling us something yet.
Activity: 392
Memorized private keys, the safest way to own bitcoin.
Encrypted paper wallets, almost as safe.

Paper wallets without encryption could be physicly stolen then claimed.
Bitcoin clients have the possibility of security vulnerabilities and are targeted by bitcoin related malware.
Physical digital wallets are subject to theft just as unencrypted paper wallets are.
Activity: 896
Merit: 527
₿₿₿₿₿₿₿
For Windows users, if you are using a vulnerable OpenSSL version and want to update it to the latest, non-vulnerable one:
http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html (linked from http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html)
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
just downloaded 0.9.1 win64 bit and i get this error: Assertion Failed! Program C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe
File ../../src/serialize.h, Line1013

Expression: nSize >=0

Activity: 28
Merit: 1
I created 4 private keys offline in Bitcoin-QT 9.0 via TailsOS. My client never touched the internet, do I need to bring my cold storage online to create 4 new wallets in 9.1?

Shameful quote, I need to know Sad

Pages:
Jump to: