Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core correct way to backup? - page 2. (Read 320 times)

Activity: 158
Merit: 28
July 04, 2022, 10:58:57 PM
Hello all,

So I decided on which wallet I want to use, which is the Bitcoin Core wallet. It's familiar to an altcoin wallet I used many years ago, in the way that it has to sync all blocks and uses a wallet.dat file as backup.

I wanted to know if it's enough for me to simply backup the wallet.dat file on an encrypted USB stick? This way I can practically remove Bitcoin Core from my desktop and if I ever wanted to send my funds elsewhere I can re-import the wallet.dat file again, but I can still send funds to this wallet.

I also wonder, if this wallet.dat file is stolen by someone, but my wallet was encrypted, is the wallet.dat file encrypted? Or was that just a local encryption for my desktop.

I would love to just be able to store my holy wallet.dat file away for many years and be able to re-gain access to my wallet using this file, primarily through other wallets too if Bitcoin Core wallet seizes to exist by then.

And perhaps it's also possible, or necessary to store individual private keys in text on a seperate device such as an encrypted USB stick? I was thinking the private keys could be encoded in an encoding language to make them slightly extra secure incase any thief has no idea what he's doing.
Pages:
Jump to: