Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core IBD slow - page 2. (Read 176 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
November 30, 2023, 07:38:38 AM
It leads to same result, although i find it's unusual to see configuration on multiple places. And since your device has 8GB RAM, you could set higher value for dbcache (assuming you don't run other memory-intensive software on that device).

Like how much? Perhaps all of it? 8192? I don't run anything else on this device. My plan, in general, is to run Bitcoin & Monero node on the same machine.

EDIT:
I set it to 7000 and let's see...
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 30, 2023, 07:36:26 AM
Is it your full configuration file or you removed line dbcache?
I have set my dbcache on the commandline running

Code:
bitcoind -dbcache=4096 -conf=

The reason is that I want to run with default dbcache when IBD is finished.

Doesn't it have the same result as adding dbcache=4096 on the conf file and then run:

Code:
bitcoind -conf=

It leads to same result, although i find it's unusual to see configuration on multiple places. And since your device has 8GB RAM, you could set higher value for dbcache (assuming you don't run other memory-intensive software on that device).
November 30, 2023, 07:32:30 AM

I have set my dbcache on the commandline running

Code:
bitcoind -dbcache=4096 -conf=

The reason is that I want to run with default dbcache when IBD is finished.

Doesn't it have the same result as adding dbcache=4096 on the conf file and then run:

Code:
bitcoind -conf=

Pruned node need full UTXO in order to verify new TX/block, so i doubt it's possible. At best, we'll see slightly more efficient UTXO representation.

Yeap, you must be right.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 30, 2023, 07:27:18 AM
My conf is:
Code:
datadir=...
server=1
daemon=1
txindex=1

Yep, it sucks Sad And the Bitcoin dust those Ordinal spammers create will remain unspent taking up space in chainstate forever.

Unfortunately we have to live with it. Pruned nodes in the future will avoid the issue, I suppose.

Pruned node need full UTXO in order to verify new TX/block, so i doubt it's possible. At best, we'll see slightly more efficient UTXO representation.
November 30, 2023, 07:22:27 AM
Must be your RPi's CPU struggling on script verifications after v25.0's default "assumevalid" blocks which is before block height 784000.
Here's for reference: github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v25.0/src/kernel/chainparams.cpp#L107C128-L107C128

It's not recommended but if you think it's necessary to speed up your node's IBD, you can set a custom assumevalid block by setting -assumevalid=.

Thanks, I will see the reference because it is something I ignored until today.

Wouldn't it be bad for security though? Is this why you say it is not recommended?

I'd copy everything in ~/.bitcoin/ (after shutting down Bitcoin Core).

Definetely gonna try it after the sync is finished.

Yep, it sucks Sad And the Bitcoin dust those Ordinal spammers create will remain unspent taking up space in chainstate forever.

Unfortunately we have to live with it. Pruned nodes in the future will avoid the issue, I suppose.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
November 30, 2023, 07:15:23 AM
Software:
Raspbian OS
Bitcoin Core 25.0
-snip-
After reaching block 790,000 the process slowed down a lot.
Must be your RPi's CPU struggling on script verifications after v25.0's default "assumevalid" blocks which is before block height 784000.
Here's for reference: github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v25.0/src/kernel/chainparams.cpp#L107C128-L107C128

It's not recommended but if you think it's necessary to speed up your node's IBD, you can set a custom assumevalid block by setting -assumevalid=.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
November 30, 2023, 07:15:23 AM
supposing I wanted to do it, would I need to copy the chainstate and blocks directories?
I'd copy everything in ~/.bitcoin/ (after shutting down Bitcoin Core).

Makes sense, but 16 GB is a lot for a cheap computer. RPi doesn't support 16GB anyway.
November 30, 2023, 07:07:09 AM
Why don't you just copy the blockchain from your existing nodes to the new node?

Ok you made me lough out loud. How can I be so silly?! It didn't even cross my mind. However, supposing I wanted to do it, would I need to copy the chainstate and blocks directories? Or all the items from the Bitcoin Core directory (.conf, .log etc) ?

I won't stop the process now, since I am almost done, I guess.

I guess that's around the time the Ordinal spam largely increased the number of transactions, and the size of chainstate. It currently takes 8.5 GB on disk, which won't fit your 8 GB RAM anymore. It looks like 16 GB is the new minimum for a fast IBD.

Makes sense, but 16 GB is a lot for a cheap computer. RPi doesn't support 16GB anyway.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
November 30, 2023, 06:59:47 AM
I have 2 nodes and I am currently setting up my 3rd node.
Why don't you just copy the blockchain from your existing nodes to the new node?

I have spent 5 days until block 790,000 and 3 more days until 810,000 and there are still approximately 10,000 blocks left, which will take even more Tongue
I guess that's around the time the Ordinal spam largely increased the number of transactions, and the size of chainstate. It currently takes 8.5 GB on disk, which won't fit your 8 GB RAM anymore. It looks like 16 GB is the new minimum for a fast IBD.
November 30, 2023, 06:51:34 AM
txindex does slow down the IBD, but it shouldn't make it that slow. So I want to ask you, where did you configure the datadir? Because if you're going to make I/O go through the SATA connection to USB3, that's going to be quite slower than just writing on the SSD directly. USB3 standard is 10GB/s maximum, and the disk is probably doing much less.

Not sure I understand this. The datadir is on the SSD. The SSD is external to the Raspberry. So essentially I run:

bitcoind --datadir=/media/.../...
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
November 30, 2023, 06:35:38 AM
txindex does slow down the IBD, but it shouldn't make it that slow. So I want to ask you, where did you configure the datadir? Because if you're going to make I/O go through the SATA connection to USB3, that's going to be quite slower than just writing on the SSD directly. USB3 standard is 10GB/s maximum, and the disk is probably doing much less.
November 30, 2023, 06:25:01 AM
There are too many topics about it, but I haven't found the answer I want.
I would post on older topics but I got the warning that the topics were older than 120 days, so I started a new one.

I have 2 nodes and I am currently setting up my 3rd node.

The first 2 nodes were constructed between blocks 700,000 and 750,000 and the process went okay-ish.

On the 3rd node, my IBD is very slow. Let me share my setup.

Hardware:
1. Raspberry Pi 4 Model B with 8GB RAM.
2. Cat6 ethernet cable.
3. 2TB SSD 2.5''.
4. SATA (on the disk) to USB 3.0 (on the Rpi)

Internet speed:
Download: 200 Mbps
Upload: 5 Mbps
Ping: 4 ms

Software:
Raspbian OS
Bitcoin Core 25.0

My conf is:
Code:
datadir=...
server=1
daemon=1
txindex=1

I have spent 5 days until block 790,000 and 3 more days until 810,000 and there are still approximately 10,000 blocks left, which will take even more Tongue

It's normal, I know! Because it scans and validates recursively.

Does anyone know if -txindex=1 slows up the Initial Blockchain Download ?

If so, is there a reason?
Pages:
Jump to: