Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin core uses a lot of RAM. Recommended amount? - page 2. (Read 11490 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Yeah, I'm sure because I've checked in Ubuntu system monitor.

I might run the non GUI client instead, to see if it makes a difference.

Activity: 218
Merit: 102
Are you sure it's the bitcoin core which is using all that RAM?

I know full nodes run with 1GB of RAM on a headless Linux VM.
So, anyone using bitcoin core with only 4gb RAM? If I limit my incoming or outgoing connections will my node use less RAM?

I've been using bitcoin core v0.9.2 for a week or so to help out with the network.

I'm happy to have it running in the background 24/7 because I want BTC to succeed and I'm doing my bit for stability of the network.

The trouble is, I'm using a fairly decent HTPC (6400K CPU, SSD, 4GB 1600MHz RAM in dual channel) but bitcoin-qt is eating my memory. I'm on Ubuntu Trusty and the system monitor shows bitcoin-qt to be using between 600 and 700+ MB of RAM!

If I've got a couple of browsers open and watching a video file this doesn't leave me with a great deal of RAM. The 6400K APU already allocates about 1GB to video performance so I'm left with about 3GB usable and Ubuntu only has about 25% left to spare.

Should I buy an 8GB RAM pair and swap the 4GB pair out? Will bitcoin-qt continue to use more RAM as the size of the blockchain increases and network activity becomes more common?
Pages:
Jump to: