Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core version 0.13.0 Released - page 3. (Read 12325 times)

legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
August 30, 2016, 01:43:56 AM
i don't know if it's me, win10 or whatever, but transaction windows notification, does not appear anymore, i'm talking about that small window in the bottom right of the corner
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
August 29, 2016, 03:59:27 PM
Hi Bitcoin People! I have been running an online business for a few years. 2 years ago I decided to setup a bitcoin payment module which to my surprise have been used a lot. Since this is my own bitcoin server I am responsible of maintaining and updating the bitcoin core to it's latest version and backing up the wallet a few times every day.

I have read that the latest bitcoin update has a HD feature which means I only have to back up the seed. Now when my wallet is getting bigger and bigger (roughly 80 MB) contaning tons of addresses that's not in use anymore, I would like to have a HD wallet. Which means I don't need to create a backup every time a bitcoin transaction occurs, increasing the wallet.dat with data.

Questions:
1) Is it possible to import all the old addresses/private keys from my old wallet, into a new HD-wallet?
I think it may be possible. Otherwise you will have to send the Bitcoin from your old wallet to an address in the new wallet.

2) Can the HD feature be used for commerce (via RPC bitcoin-cli) or is it only for private use?

Thanks in advance,
Matteo
Yes. There is no difference between commercial use and private use. The computer doesn't know the difference and doesn't care.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
August 29, 2016, 03:37:12 PM
Hi Bitcoin People! I have been running an online business for a few years. 2 years ago I decided to setup a bitcoin payment module which to my surprise have been used a lot. Since this is my own bitcoin server I am responsible of maintaining and updating the bitcoin core to it's latest version and backing up the wallet a few times every day.

I have read that the latest bitcoin update has a HD feature which means I only have to back up the seed. Now when my wallet is getting bigger and bigger (roughly 80 MB) contaning tons of addresses that's not in use anymore, I would like to have a HD wallet. Which means I don't need to create a backup every time a bitcoin transaction occurs, increasing the wallet.dat with data.

Questions:
1) Is it possible to import all the old addresses/private keys from my old wallet, into a new HD-wallet?

2) Can the HD feature be used for commerce (via RPC bitcoin-cli) or is it only for private use?

Thanks in advance,
Matteo
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
August 28, 2016, 01:45:50 PM
Looks like a pretty solid update! Appreciate all the instructions
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 28, 2016, 01:21:49 PM
I checked the debug.log and couldn't find anything interesting myself. I pasted it below:
-snip-
I can't seem to find anything that is really interesting either. Should try out various stuff, although I'll send you a PM. Seems a bit off-topic here to debug user-specific problems.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 28, 2016, 12:46:27 PM
I just upgraded to 0.13.0 from 0.10.2 and when I try to start it it hangs and crashes before the GUI is fully loaded on the "done loading" screen.
Interesting. Could you post the information from your debug.log (found in the directory where your wallet is)? Without knowing more, we would be guessing what the problem is.

Is there any way for me to avoid a (slow and long) reindex? Sad
If it requires a reindex, then no. You can speed it up by increasing your dbcache.

It might be better to open your own thread about this problem.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
August 28, 2016, 03:55:25 AM
But if you do want to use an HD wallet, you will need to send coins to a newly created HD wallet and you can't use the old wallet.
You can import the private keys from your old wallet into your new wallet. This way you can use an HD-wallet while still using all your old addresses, instead of deleting them.

Let me quote Satoshi on this:
Sigh... why delete a wallet instead of moving it aside and keeping the old copy just in case?  You should never delete a wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
August 27, 2016, 07:52:25 PM
You can't import a seed right now on this version.
That's why i use the command line usehd=0 on bitcoin.conf for now.

for me Bitcoin Core is the base of Bitcoin Network, it must export AND import private key (or seed).
legendary
Merit: 1009
August 27, 2016, 04:45:33 PM
Anyone figure out a way to create a new HD wallet, and import a "watch-only" HD wallet?

I'm curious too, and wondering if this is even a possibility...
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
August 27, 2016, 01:40:43 PM
Anyone figure out a way to create a new HD wallet, and import a "watch-only" HD wallet? My purpose is so that the watch only wallet is on a live server, while the HD wallet with the private keys are on an air gapped computer or on a more secure one anyway.
Activity: 854
Merit: 277
liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !
August 27, 2016, 08:41:38 AM
Work of art! Congratulations guys!!! it's splendid.

for info I raised my mempool to 600mb and right now it's a 513.30mb still on 0.12.1.

I will update now.
legendary
August 25, 2016, 04:31:13 PM
v0.13.0 is really really fast to recreate from zero, the local blockchain ... It's perfect !
Less than 36 hours in Core 2 Duo E7500 (2,93GHz) ... it's perfect for slow notebook !

legendary
August 25, 2016, 04:28:01 PM
Too risky to use phone to move big funds over there

Roll Eyes ... stop using phone to download stupid game ?
and IF you have so big fund, why you don't have PC and phone dedicated to Bitcoin ?

Bitcoin, it's a bank, your bank in your pocket.
legendary
August 25, 2016, 01:05:15 PM
so now to use this i need to re-index again the blockchain and remove pruning, this is really a pain in the ass for each new update..can this be fixed in the future, or this is a lost cause?
No you don't. Just install the new version and start it with pruning.

right, i forgot to add -prune, i though it was automatic
staff
Just writing some code
August 25, 2016, 09:10:23 AM
so now to use this i need to re-index again the blockchain and remove pruning, this is really a pain in the ass for each new update..can this be fixed in the future, or this is a lost cause?
No you don't. Just install the new version and start it with pruning.
legendary
August 25, 2016, 07:26:32 AM
staff
Just writing some code
August 24, 2016, 03:08:44 PM
"Backups of HD wallets, regardless of when they have been created, can
therefore be used to re-generate all possible private keys, even the
ones which haven't already been generated during the time of thebackup."

if i understood correctly this mean that the 100 pool address is olved, when you restore a backup after you have used all the privatekey previously generated, and added a new one? i can do this now without worrying about losing my coin?
Yes. Only thing you need to worry about is backing up every time you encrypt the wallet or change the password.

So this means you can use the old wallet and don't need to send coins to the new wallet?

Correct, it's not mandatory to switch to an HD wallet.
But if you do want to use an HD wallet, you will need to send coins to a newly created HD wallet and you can't use the old wallet.
legendary
Merit: 1009
August 24, 2016, 03:07:08 PM

if i understood correctly this mean that the 100 pool address is olved, when you restore a backup after you have used all the privatekey previously generated, and added a new one? i can do this now without worrying about losing my coin?
Yes. Only thing you need to worry about is backing up every time you encrypt the wallet or change the password.

So this means you can use the old wallet and don't need to send coins to the new wallet?

Correct, it's not mandatory to switch to an HD wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
August 24, 2016, 02:18:06 PM
Hi how does this work then? Is this the right thing to do?

1) Backup wallet.dat from your 0.12.1 folder
2) Delete wallet.dat from your 0.12.1 folder
3) Install 0.13.0 and open it so it generates a new wallet.dat file (this is now the HD wallet file I guess?)
4) Sync the wallet, once it's synced close the client.
5) Now you have a synced 0.13.0 but you need to boot 0.12.1 wallet again to send to the empty new 0.13.0 wallet...

how do I continue from here? I need to have 2 different versions of Bitcoin installed at the same time..

1) open your phone
2) do a transaction of all bitcoins in your phone (bitcoin android wallet)
3) change to bitcoin core and create HD wallet
4) do a transaction from phone to bitcoin core HD wallet

consolidate bitcoins.
use the network.
pay the fees.

Too risky to use phone to move big funds over there, also, to stay anonymous one would need to send several different transactions which means more fees, this is so annoying.

staff
Just writing some code
August 24, 2016, 01:05:07 PM

Pages:
Jump to: