Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin core wallet from computer to external harddisk??? - page 2. (Read 2006 times)

staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
Yes. You can copy the entire Bitcoin Core datadir from your internal drive to the external drive. You will have to always start Bitcoin Core with the -datadir option so that it knows where to look for the datadir though.

What do you mean with the datadir? I am not familiar with all these therms.
The datadir is the data directory. It is where your wallet, the blockchain, and other files that Bitcoin Core needs. It does not contain the binaries to run Bitcoin Core though. That is in the installation directory.

To find your datadir, open Bitcoin Core and go to Help > Debug Window. In the Information tab, you should see a field labeled "datadir" and a file path next to it. That path points to the datadir. Cut and paste that folder to your external drive. Then stop Bitcoin Core and start it with the -choosedatadir option. See https://achow101.com/2016/07/Bitcoin-Core-Troubleshooting#option-startup for help with that. That option will open up a dialog for you to choose your datadir. Choose wherever you put the datadir and you should be good to go. Starting with that option only needs to be done once.
Activity: 630
Merit: 250
Is it possible to bring your wallet from your pc desktop to an external harddisk?
I have bitcoin core, but the download takes so much place on my harddisk, that i would like to bring it to my external harddisk. Is that possible. Can i keep my wallet on my pc and start a new one on my external disk? Or can i copy everything from my pc to my external harddisk? Or do i have te start with downloading everything again on my external harddisk?
Yes. You can copy the entire Bitcoin Core datadir from your internal drive to the external drive. You will have to always start Bitcoin Core with the -datadir option so that it knows where to look for the datadir though.

What do you mean with the datadir? I am not familiar with all these therms.
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
Is it possible to bring your wallet from your pc desktop to an external harddisk?
I have bitcoin core, but the download takes so much place on my harddisk, that i would like to bring it to my external harddisk. Is that possible. Can i keep my wallet on my pc and start a new one on my external disk? Or can i copy everything from my pc to my external harddisk? Or do i have te start with downloading everything again on my external harddisk?
Activity: 630
Merit: 250
Pages:
Jump to: