Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin , deflation and slashdot - page 2. (Read 5009 times)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0
March 01, 2013, 02:15:46 AM
Great topic! Thanks for posting.

Yes, I see a lot of Bitcoin skeptics and detractors online who don't seem to understand the divisibility of Bitcoin. Maybe this is a naming issue — the idea of a "coin" is pretty firmly ingrained in peoples' experience as an indivisible physical unit, with a penny (or international equivalent) being the smallest unit. So some Bitcoin commentators end up thinking mistakenly that 1 BTC valued at $33 means someone would have to round all Bitcoin transaction prices to the nearest $33. Whoops! Hopefully these commentators will encounter some kind Bitcoin advocate willing to educate them Smiley

Per the deflation issue: There are different (sometimes conflicting) definitions of deflation, and lots of different economic circumstances that can cause deflation, so it's hard for much meaningful conversation to happen without very precise definitions of terms. I am no economist, but as an armchair Austrian school enthusiast, I've found Murray Rothbard's discussions of deflation to cut through the vitriolic noise on the subject.

A helpful article on deflation from Mises.org excerpts some of Rothbard's thoughts here (the whole article is worth reading, though!):

Just as inflation is generally popular for its narcotic effect, deflation is always highly unpopular for the opposite reason. The contraction of money is visible; the benefits to those whose buying prices fall first and who lose money last remain hidden. And the illusory accounting losses of deflation make businesses believe that their losses are greater, or profits smaller, than they actually are, and this will aggravate business pessimism.

It is true that deflation takes from one group and gives to another, as does inflation. Yet not only does credit contraction speed recovery and counteract the distortions of the boom, but it also, in a broad sense, takes away from the original coercive gainers and benefits the original coerced losers. While this will certainly not be true in every case, in the broad sense much the same groups will benefit and lose, but in reverse order from that of the redistributive effects of credit expansion. Fixed-income groups, widows and orphans, will gain, and businesses and owners of original factors previously reaping gains from inflation will lose. The longer the inflation has continued, of course, the less the same individuals will be compensated.

Some may object that deflation "causes" unemployment. However, as we have seen above, deflation can lead to continuing unemployment only if the government or the unions keep wage rates above the discounted marginal value products of labor. If wage rates are allowed to fall freely, no continuing unemployment will occur.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
February 28, 2013, 11:59:01 PM
I've been skimming around the boards on the internet lately... and it seems that one of the most widespread misgivings about bitcoin from people who think they understand it is the "deflationary spiral".

So I'd thought I'd take a shot at showing why they are wrong.

Deflation. If bitcoin deflates and the price rises... how does that hurt the users of that currency? Does it make it harder to transact larger purchases? No, it makes it easier. Does it make it harder to transact small purchases of less value since the bitcoins price is increasing? Not if we compare it to the dollar. Compared to the dollar... the lowest unit is a satoshi or 1 / 100 millionth. This means that if we were to say that the smallest unit of a dollar (the penny) is worth the same as the smallest unit of a bitcoin.......... the price of ONE bitcoin would have to rise to 1 million dollars per btc for this to happen. So in order for the deflation aspect of bitcoin to harm users in any way(the theoretical harm here is that the price is so much that it makes transactions more difficult) ... would mean that it would have to deflate to 1 million dollars. IF we are comparing it to the dollar. The argument "deflation causes hoarding" is the exact same as what I just described. The price would rise from hoarding. And it would only cause hypothetical issues at 1 million dollars per bitcoin. So if bitcoin deflation doesn't hurt users transacting with one another.. does it hurt acquiring them? Not really. If you have enough money to buy 1 bitcoin but wait for a year... and then the price has doubled you can still buy .5 bitcoin and you would have the same purchasing power as you would have had. So it doesn't hurt users transacting with other users... and it doesn't hurt acquiring them.. what does it hurt?

There is a second big mistake I see some people making...... and it's that the deflationary aspect of bitcoin causes the economy harm. Really? Just 5 years ago bitcoin didn't exist. Dollars existed. And now bitcoin exists and dollars still exist. So how could ANY aspect of bitcoin cause harm to the economy? Especially a deflationary one. That makes no sense whatsoever. They seem to be thinking from a philosophical standpoint as if bitcoin was the only currency that existed.  The truth is that competition is good. A new currency is good and people having more choice cannot cause harm except for those who don't use the right currency for their needs.

This brings me to my next point... frequently those who say deflation is a problem argue that prices are a problem because the money deflates. Once again........ this argument seems to be made from a philosophical standpoint and not a realistic one. Bitcoin isn't the only currency. So if it's value is volatile then you can just connect it to something less volatile(as is already being done).

And even if bitcoin ends up being used for larger transactions... there are even more alternatives now. Other cryptocurrencies. With our modern digital age it is no longer a problem to exchange from one currency to another and it is only going to get easier.

Pages:
Jump to: