Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Documentary! - page 2. (Read 3355 times)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
March 07, 2012, 01:54:18 AM
Maybe you should update the wikipedia article on private currency. Here is an excerpt:

In the United States, the Free Banking Era lasted between 1837 and 1866, when almost anyone could issue paper money. While there are more restrictions today than in this era, it is still legal to create your own currencies.[dubious – discuss] States, municipalities, private banks, railroad and construction companies, stores, restaurants, churches and individuals printed an estimated 8,000 different monies by 1860 and can still do so today (such as Bitcoin). If an issuer went bankrupt, closed, left town, or otherwise went out of business the note would be worthless. Such organizations earned the nickname of "wildcat banks" for a reputation of unreliability; they were often situated in remote, unpopulated locales said to be inhabited more by wildcats than by people. Yet according to Lawrence H. White's article in The Freeman, "it turns out that 'wildcat' banking is largely a myth. Although stories about crooked banking practices are entertaining—and for that reason have been repeated endlessly by textbooks—modern economic historians have found that there were in fact very few banks that fit any reasonable definition of wildcat bank".[1] The National Bank Act of 1863 ended the "wildcat bank" period.

Thanks for this information.  I'll look into.
Activity: 30
March 07, 2012, 12:27:35 AM
Make sure to include how many people got Zhou Tonged!!!
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
March 06, 2012, 11:43:16 PM
Good luck with your ventures!  Cheesy

I'm hoping people will see the potential in BTC one day.
Activity: 15
March 06, 2012, 10:52:49 PM
Bitcoin is not a "private currency" and should not be referred to as such.  Quite the opposite, Bitcoin is completely public and transparent.  I realize that you may be using the term in contrast to traditional fiat currencies.  However, I think it's important to make clear that Bitcoin is a completely decentralized, peer-to-peer, open-source transaction system.  Just my two Satoshis...

Maybe you should update the wikipedia article on private currency. Here is an excerpt:

In the United States, the Free Banking Era lasted between 1837 and 1866, when almost anyone could issue paper money. While there are more restrictions today than in this era, it is still legal to create your own currencies.[dubious – discuss] States, municipalities, private banks, railroad and construction companies, stores, restaurants, churches and individuals printed an estimated 8,000 different monies by 1860 and can still do so today (such as Bitcoin). If an issuer went bankrupt, closed, left town, or otherwise went out of business the note would be worthless. Such organizations earned the nickname of "wildcat banks" for a reputation of unreliability; they were often situated in remote, unpopulated locales said to be inhabited more by wildcats than by people. Yet according to Lawrence H. White's article in The Freeman, "it turns out that 'wildcat' banking is largely a myth. Although stories about crooked banking practices are entertaining—and for that reason have been repeated endlessly by textbooks—modern economic historians have found that there were in fact very few banks that fit any reasonable definition of wildcat bank".[1] The National Bank Act of 1863 ended the "wildcat bank" period.

Activity: 24
March 06, 2012, 10:17:33 PM
Bitcoin is not a "private currency" and should not be referred to as such.  Quite the opposite, Bitcoin is completely public and transparent.  I realize that you may be using the term in contrast to traditional fiat currencies.  However, I think it's important to make clear that Bitcoin is a completely decentralized, peer-to-peer, open-source transaction system.  Just my two Satoshis...
March 06, 2012, 07:50:00 PM
Hey,

My email is neil at privatemoneymovie dot com

I plan on making a new much shorter trailer for the doc.

I'm thinking of presenting the logistics and the potentiality of private currency to my local chamber of commerce. Has anyone done anything like this before? If we can get one city on earth using private currency as a serious alternative I think this would be a major step in the right direction.

Neil
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
March 06, 2012, 02:49:49 PM
I would recommend re-recording this video.  You are    speaking    slowly   with    long    pauses    between     words.  The words are good though.  Get energetic, and practice your speech 10x, and you will seem much more confident and capable. 
Activity: 303
Merit: 251
March 06, 2012, 02:43:26 PM
Neil, what is your email address please?
Activity: 303
Merit: 251
March 06, 2012, 02:22:20 PM
Any reason you couldn't also list it in http://PirateMyFilm.com?

The http://PrivateMoneyMovie.com website shows a bitcoin address for donations as well.

Yes just saw it on PMF http://www.piratemyfilm.com/projects/346
I just sent a link to Max Keiser also. The OP should follow up directly to promote; Max is on Twitter.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
March 06, 2012, 02:13:46 PM
Link to the Kickstarter page?

Any reason you couldn't also list it in http://PirateMyFilm.com?

The http://PrivateMoneyMovie.com website shows a bitcoin address for donations as well.
March 06, 2012, 11:45:14 AM
Hello,

I'm working on a documentary about private currency as it relates to contemporary geopolitical issues. I've interviewed Donald Norman from Intersango and I have a few more interviews scheduled. I'm writing this post to get the word out about this trailer I've made for the film:

http://youtu.be/ZGnqi_rUoSs

What do you think about my argument that the U.S. Military's primary objective is to keep the Dollar strong? Do you think if oil wasn't priced in dollars we would see the dollar lose its world reserve status? What correlation, if any, do you see in the dollar losing its world reserve status and a reduction in the standard of living of Americans? Do you think Bitcoin and its frictionless promise can offset this loss in standard of living?   

Neil
Pages:
Jump to: